OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Doritos Bowl Match Up - Taylor Swift vs San Andreas Fault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Well if Cower has answers to that issue, Mike Sullivan needs to call Cower immediately.
Cowher was historically atrocious at closing out games.

Part of me does believe that Dan Campbell in some situations is out of his depth. Very Tomlin-esque in that he's a great motivator, but maybe not the best decision maker.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And beating Lamar Jackson isn't hard. His arm strength is elite. His throwing ability and decision making are not. Yard ball isn't always going to work. Once he can't run, it's over.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I keep hearing from players on other teams about how great Tomlin is, then never see those players come to Pittsburgh.

Deep down they know Tomlin is an easy win and/or complacent Head Coach but don’t have the balls to come play for him.

If he was a winner then why not sign in Pitt lol?

God the Rooney’s are dumb. And so are the players who only stick up for him because they LIKE him oppose to the facts (him being mediocre).

What players think they want isn't what's best for them.
Parents know this phenomenon more than anything.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I take issue with this statement. Define "closing out games"

Didn't he win like 50+ games when holding an 8 point lead? (Can't remember the exact stat the TV kept throwing out there)

But my recollection of Cowher teams was that was their bread and butter: getting and holding the lead

However that was also the Achilles: if they got behind early, they could never come back since their offenses were limited.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Harbaugh >>>>>>>>>>> Tomlin.

The difference?

The QB. Lamar Jackson saved his job and will propel him to even further heights. No one is beating them this year. Just an insane team.

Well you're right as usual about these types of things :laugh::laugh:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
He sucks.

He owes 50% of his paycheck to TJ Watt.

Don't the Steelers have the highest paid defense too?

Far too much reliance on one key player. Consistently out schemed with no adjustments. Coverage mismatches regularly exploited by opponents. Frequent miscommunication. They absolutely should have been looking at new people. They could even learn and improve the defence just by going through the process and realising there are other ideas.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
They had the killer Bs but their DBs were a weak link and their D completely imploded after their best defensive player got injured in 17. I think they had a chance to do something if Shazier stayed in. They still haven't replaced him!

2014, 2017, and 2018 are the years that really piss me off. The Steelers should have made the AFCC game at least in one of those years, probably in more. I lay the blame for those years on Tomlin.

The 2014 team fell apart because Tomlin cut Blount halfway through the season and ran the wheels off Bell without ever finding a real back-up. Then, when Bell was injured in the game before the playoffs, they had to panic sign Ben Tate. It was totally idiotic. That season was a total f***-up. Beat the 2-14 Bucs and the 4-12 Jets, and the Steelers get the bye that season and might have been resting starters in week 17. If you're going to cut your back-up RB, then maybe go out and find a suitable back-up sometime before the season ends so you aren't screwed if Bell goes down. But instead, the Steelers go down in flames with Ben Tate in the wildcard round against the Ravens (without a running game, the Ravens tee'd off on Ben all day, concussing him by the second half), while Blount gets a ring. I wonder if Tomlin's failures with Blount led to some of him more permissive leadership we've seen since?

Losing Shazier in 2017 was a big blow to to team, but Tomlin had half a year to adjust. I wouldn't expect the defense to be as good without Shazier, but it shouldn't have been "give up 40 points to Blake Bortles" bad. The Steelers were totally overlooking the Jags (see idiot Mike MItchell's behavior before the game) and choked. It was a playoff trap game, and Tomlin, as per usual, led the team to a classic trap game loss. I rank that game as the most painful loss in Steelers history, worse than the 1994 Chargers loss, worse than the Super Bowls losses.

2018 was a debacle. Sure, Bell was holding out, but James Connor was a serviceable replacement. Nevertheless, from blowing the win against the Browns in week one, to blowing the game against the Broncos that they should have had well in hand (thanks "X-man"), to losing yet another game to the woeful Raiders (a Tomlin tradition) in the "time pressure" game, the Tomlin Steelers turned a first-round bye into missing the playoffs despite finally beating the Patriots mid-season. The AFC was weak in 2018. The Super Bowl that year was the infamous 13-3 Pats over Rams game. The Steelers should have at least made a run. Instead, due to a multitude of in-game f***-ups, they were on the sidelines.

After the choke in 2017 and the collapse in 2018, Tomlin should have been fired. Instead, in 2019, Ben is lost for the season, we trade for Minkah to save NHALS, Tomlin has his dream season, and he saves his position as permanent Steelers head coach.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
And beating Lamar Jackson isn't hard. His arm strength is elite. His throwing ability and decision making are not. Yard ball isn't always going to work. Once he can't run, it's over.

Steelers seem to be his kryptonite. Would not surprise me if KC looked closely at what the Steelers did to limit him over the years.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Part of me does believe that Dan Campbell in some situations is out of his depth. Very Tomlin-esque in that he's a great motivator, but maybe not the best decision maker.

This is just an epically bad statement. Cowher was 108-1-1, if the Steelers at any time during the game had a 11+ point lead.

I rank that game as the most painful loss in Steelers history, worse than the 1994 Chargers loss, worse than the Super Bowls losses.

I agree with most of what you said. But losing Shazier at that point in the season was incredibly hard not only from a scheme perspective but an emotional perspective. Does that mean I am ok with them losing to JAX by giving up like 45 points, no. But people forget they lost to JAX earlier in the season and that JAX was a very good team that year. That being said, I still believe Tomlin should have been fired after that game and have stated such since then.

And that loss is nowhere near as bad as the Chargers loss in 94. That was an epic choke job. The game was the epitome of living in your fears.

Reactions: TNT87

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I take issue with this statement. Define "closing out games"

Didn't he win like 50+ games when holding an 8 point lead? (Can't remember the exact stat the TV kept throwing out there)

But my recollection of Cowher teams was that was their bread and butter: getting and holding the lead

However that was also the Achilles: if they got behind early, they could never come back since their offenses were limited.

The Steelers would get up by 21 points and then he would go into full prevent defense and the opponent would either make the game close, or they would beat us by 1-3 points at the end of the 4th quarter.

Don't the Steelers have the highest paid defense too?

Far too much reliance on one key player. Consistently out schemed with no adjustments. Coverage mismatches regularly exploited by opponents. Frequent miscommunication. They absolutely should have been looking at new people. They could even learn and improve the defence just by going through the process and realising there are other ideas.

It is a unit that under performs greatly, IMO, but it is propped by a generational pass rusher and an elite safety. If you take away TJ Watt, this defense is bottom 5 in the league. Our record without him v. with him indicates how much he keeps this ship afloat.

He's the new Ben.

Steelers seem to be his kryptonite. Would not surprise me if KC looked closely at what the Steelers did to limit him over the years.
Yeah, they can contain him. It's harder for a QB to run around a 3-4 defense. It's just a numbers game. I'd love to have all the QBs participate in a QB competition where it was a test of arm talent and accuracy. I would bet every dollar I have that LJ isn't in the top half of the league.

He can rip it, but if it isn't a broken play, he cannot consistently place the ball where it needs to be. Watching that game at a bar, and there were a few of us sitting there alone, and the one guy said, "If Ben were in this game, he'd have 500 yards right now" and it's true because Lamar overthrew so many guys.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
2014, 2017, and 2018 are the years that really piss me off. The Steelers should have made the AFCC game at least in one of those years, probably in more. I lay the blame for those years on Tomlin.

The 2014 team fell apart because Tomlin cut Blount halfway through the season and ran the wheels off Bell without ever finding a real back-up. Then, when Bell was injured in the game before the playoffs, they had to panic sign Ben Tate. It was totally idiotic. That season was a total f***-up. Beat the 2-14 Bucs and the 4-12 Jets, and the Steelers get the bye that season and might have been resting starters in week 17. If you're going to cut your back-up RB, then maybe go out and find a suitable back-up sometime before the season ends so you aren't screwed if Bell goes down. But instead, the Steelers go down in flames with Ben Tate in the wildcard round against the Ravens (without a running game, the Ravens tee'd off on Ben all day, concussing him by the second half), while Blount gets a ring. I wonder if Tomlin's failures with Blount led to some of him more permissive leadership we've seen since?

Losing Shazier in 2017 was a big blow to to team, but Tomlin had half a year to adjust. I wouldn't expect the defense to be as good without Shazier, but it shouldn't have been "give up 40 points to Blake Bortles" bad. The Steelers were totally overlooking the Jags (see idiot Mike MItchell's behavior before the game) and choked. It was a playoff trap game, and Tomlin, as per usual, led the team to a classic trap game loss. I rank that game as the most painful loss in Steelers history, worse than the 1994 Chargers loss, worse than the Super Bowls losses.

2018 was a debacle. Sure, Bell was holding out, but James Connor was a serviceable replacement. Nevertheless, from blowing the win against the Browns in week one, to blowing the game against the Broncos that they should have had well in hand (thanks "X-man"), to losing yet another game to the woeful Raiders (a Tomlin tradition) in the "time pressure" game, the Tomlin Steelers turned a first-round bye into missing the playoffs despite finally beating the Patriots mid-season. The AFC was weak in 2018. The Super Bowl that year was the infamous 13-3 Pats over Rams game. The Steelers should have at least made a run. Instead, due to a multitude of in-game f***-ups, they were on the sidelines.

After the choke in 2017 and the collapse in 2018, Tomlin should have been fired. Instead, in 2019, Ben is lost for the season, we trade for Minkah to save NHALS, Tomlin has his dream season, and he saves his position as permanent Steelers head coach.

The big turning point for the organization I think was losing Shazier and Tuitt before they were 30. They were two key cogs who would have probably been key cogs now. They totally change the complexion of this team. Decastro and Pouncey also had shorter careers than you'd like from a Pro Bowl G and C.

Young Cam and Tuitt were an absolute force to be reckoned with. Probably the best 3-4 five tech tandem I've ever seen.

This is just an epically bad statement. Cowher was 108-1-1, if the Steelers at any time during the game had a 11+ point lead.

I agree with most of what you said. But losing Shazier at that point in the season was incredibly hard not only from a scheme perspective but an emotional perspective. Does that mean I am ok with them losing to JAX by giving up like 45 points, no. But people forget they lost to JAX earlier in the season and that JAX was a very good team that year. That being said, I still believe Tomlin should have been fired after that game and have stated such since then.

And that loss is nowhere near as bad as the Chargers loss in 94. That was an epic choke job. The game was the epitome of living in your fears.

Losing games =/= losing leads

He ran a prevent defense. Many times his teams were up and the games were close. I didn't say he lost them, but there were many times as a fan you sat there and thought to yourself, "there was no need for it to be that close." He'd get a lead and pack it in offensively and then play prevent defense and give up dinks and dunks down the field. Tom Brady made a living off of it playing the Steelers. I'm not saying anything earth shattering, only that Cowher had his own things that plagued him, but none were as bad as what I think we have seen with Tomlin. Cowher's teams played. Tomlin's teams are heart breakers.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm hoping they get a chance to at least talk to Kubiak, but does anybody know what a 'passing game coordinator' does exactly? Is it just an inflated title to make someone feel more important? And if so, maybe the Steelers will consider doing something like that? Hire Smith or someone to be the OC and then bring in one of these QB guys to be the 'passing game coordinator'.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Those quotes from Rooney are reassuring, especially the blurb about Pickett and Rudolph. They're not throwing Pickett aside as a bust, but they clearly know he needs to be better than he has been. At the same time, they recognize Rudolph played really well and want to bring him back.

Basically, at least Rooney isn't delusional about their QB position, which makes me believe that there would be a legitimate QB competition going forward. Or at least Pickett won't keep the job if his play doesn't warrant it.

Reactions: T1K

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Highlights from Rooney:• Still believe in Pickett, need better QB play, want Rudolph back.• Want OC who bring 'fresh approach"• Said OC is 100% Tomlin's hire• Praised rookie class• Tomlin will get extension and Rooney still feels good about him or "he wouldn't be here." OH BOY

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Some blurbs from Rooney

Can’t wait for the exciting new hire so we can begin the mind numbing process of convincing ourselves he will change everything and this won’t be year 8 without a playoff win.

Which is only slightly better than this time last year when we had to tell ourselves bringing Canada back would work out.

Reactions: Josey Wales

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Can’t wait for the exciting new hire so we can begin the mind numbing process of convincing ourselves he will change everything and this won’t be year 8 without a playoff win.

Which is only slightly better than this time last year when we had to tell ourselves bringing Canada back would work out.
Nobody actually thought this, though, right?.........RIGHT?!?!

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Art Rooney II on Mike Tomlin: "The players still respond to Mike, and that's No. 1. He can keep the attention of 20-year-olds for a whole season and keep them in the fight the whole way. If I didn't feel Mike could lead us to a championship, he wouldn't be here."

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
It doesn't matter if they get Arthur Smith or any of these young offensive geniuses. They don't have a QB, none of any of this matters. 2024 will be over before it starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad