OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Doritos Bowl Match Up - Taylor Swift vs San Andreas Fault

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Absolutely. You can argue a chicken-or-the-egg thing, but I truly think the 2018 team that was actually quite good but pissed away a playoff spot when it had a bunch of turnovers against the Broncos, Raiders, and Saints made him decide he's never going to take chances again. There's no coach who goes for it less often or who does anything on offense that's not low risk - Smith will fit it well. Problem is that this team doesn't have a in-his-prime Derrick Henry and AJ Brown to carry the freight. It's also notable the way that Brown's production absolutely exploded when he left Tennessee.
With Smith as his OC, Brown averaged per 17 games:

1205 yards 69 Rec 11 TD and 17.4 Y/R

With the Eagles:

1476 yards 97 Rec 9 TD and 15.2 Y/R

I'd hardly call 200 more yards and 2 fewer TD's 'exploding'. YMMV.

Reactions: Peat

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
No it hasn't? What are you talking about?

This issue is only recent due to Ben retiring, and now the debate is "build based on your good RBs or rebuild the offense with a new QB and new system". They never had that issue whatsoever before he retired, any sort of problems with the team were not "they weren't built appropriately".

I guess that's a debate in itself: what is this team's strengths on offense?

They have a LG and a RT (Jones) are monsters in the run game. I realize Jones' position has yet to be determined.

A C who is below average and a LT and RG who are average.
Their WR's and TE's are all average.
I'd call their RB's at or slightly above average.

Their QB room may not even be settled so I don't even want to rehash that debate, but I will say this:

Since 2020 Defenses were playing the 15 yard umbrella on this team after that COVID Redskins game. Ben's post surgery arm, the Canada playbook, Pickets arm and conservative play are all reasons.

Mason comes in and takes those deep throws and shows that he'll throw that 20 yard post route and the deep out and suddenly there aren't 9 mother f***ers panhandling in the box. Now defenses are backing up and suddenly the running game starts popping. The game is literally that simple. He doesn't have to be the man, he just has to see the coverage and get the team in the right play and have the courage to take the favorable matchups.

I have noticed that the SF and Rams offenses need a certain type of QB to handle it- SF and Rams have dealt with an above average number of injuries at the QB position both were on 4th QBs last year. There is a lot of wear and collateral damage back there. If we get one of those guys as OC, Is Mason the guy that can put it all together to make those reads and stay healthy for the entire season.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Wait, did Arthur Smith really not employ a QB coach in ATL lol?

Reading some tweets now, it appears as if Raheem Morris switched their WR coach (TJ Yates, former qb) to the QB room?

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
MT at the senior bowl

74C68C37-CD06-4729-93C3-494F221338DD.jpeg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wait, did Arthur Smith really not employ a QB coach in ATL lol?

Reading some tweets now, it appears as if Raheem Morris switched their WR coach (TJ Yates, former qb) to the QB room?

Looks like Charles London was their QB coach in 21 and 22 before getting hired by the Titans, and they didn't replace him in 23.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Looks like Charles London was their QB coach in 21 and 22 before getting hired by the Titans, and they didn't replace him in 23.
Yeah I’m reading up on this more. Kind of weird. This year they had their OC function also as a QB coach since Arthur Smith was the primary play caller.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I’m reading up on this more. Kind of weird. This year they had their OC function also as a QB coach since Arthur Smith was the primary play caller.

That doesn't seem too crazy. Their OC was at least well qualified to be a QB coach and should be working close with the QB anyway. Not ideal though, but sounds like maybe they couldn't find a candidate they liked.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
That doesn't seem too crazy. Their OC was at least well qualified to be a QB coach and should be working close with the QB anyway. Not ideal though, but sounds like maybe they couldn't find a candidate they liked.
I mean, when your QB is Matt Ryan, yeah you probably don’t need a dedicated QB coach? But 2nd year starter Desmond Ridder?

Obviously not in the room so I don’t know the dynamic, but strange.

Reactions: Peat and T1K

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Just being a negative nancy since I don't like the potential hire, but we should probably include his time in ATL as well since he was the play caller.
I don't agree.

Lebeau's defenses were awful in Cincy. Doesn't change the fact he was a great DC.

....also I think 36-year old Ryan, Mariota, Heinicke, and Ridder just kinda suck.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I don't agree.

Lebeau's defenses were awful in Cincy. Doesn't change the fact he was a great DC.

....also I think 36-year old Ryan, Mariota, Heinicke, and Ridder just kinda suck.

You don't think Arthur Smith calling plays the last 3 years for ATL is relevant in a discussion about him being our offensive coordinator? Cause I do.

And our QB room is worse.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
After reading a bit more on Smith, I think my opinion on him is that he's a terrific fit for the style of offense this team wants to build, but he's not the guy that's going to help a young QB take the next step and develop. So I think you can argue both ways for him.

If you want to maximize the chances of developing Pickett (or any young QB you'd bring in to replace Pickett), Smith isn't the guy. But if you had a proven starting QB, Smith's offense would fit perfectly with the team. I'd take Smith and signing Mayfield over another QB friendly OC and betting on Pickett developing further, but they're not going to get another QB.

Well my opinion of it doesn't matter at this point :laugh:

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You don't think Arthur Smith calling plays the last 3 years for ATL is relevant in a discussion about him being our offensive coordinator? Cause I do.

And our QB room is worse.
No, I don't. There's a lot more that goes into an offense succeeding than play calling. You still need the players.

If our QBs are worse than what he had in Atlanta (not saying they are or aren't), then Kyle Shanahan himself could come in here and it's not going to make a difference.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Well I was writing this as to why I wouldn’t like the Smith hire so here’s why I don’t like the hire. This is an improvement over Canada but the more I read into him, the more I just wouldn’t like the hire.

1.) Rushing Scheme: Yes he’s developed some offenses that were really good running the ball. But does his scheme fit the personnel that the Steelers have? I’ve seen a few people say that he’s pretty much an exclusively outside zone guy, which the Steelers struggled with last year. So does he adapt his system to what the Steelers do well? Or do things improve with a better coach and some tweaks to the line?

2.) His usage of players as a coach in Atlanta was just bizarre at times. That didn’t seem to be the case in Tennessee so maybe that’s just an issue he had as a head coach.

3.) Predictability/Adaptability: Rushing into 8 man boxes on early downs isn’t going away and even when things aren’t going well, he’s gonna do it anyway.

I’ll hopefully eat crow on this, but Smith as OC with a Pickett/Rudolph QB room is just so uninspiring.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It’s a good hire on the surface. Track record as an OC holds up, regardless of the ATL head coaching gig.

Hire a good QB coach if it’s a concern.
They should hire a good QB coach regardless.

Or as I suggested the other day a 'passing game coordinator' if a fancy title is what it takes to bring in better coaches.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
No, I don't. There's a lot more that goes into an offense succeeding than play calling. You still need the players.

If our QBs are worse than what he had in Atlanta (not saying they are or aren't), then Kyle Shanahan himself could come in here and it's not going to make a difference.
I mean you could make that same counter-argument to detract from his success as OC in TEN by saying it was mostly the players.

Personally, I'm including the bad (26th in ppg 2023, 26th in 2021) with the good (4th in 2020, 10th in 2019) and being left with a pretty underwhelming feeling based on his handling of ATL's top offensive draft picks.

Silver lining would be if we get Mike Munchak back I guess.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So I guess we’re going to continue to eschew the modern passing offense under Smith and Tomlin…so glad the playoff wins drought will reach epic proportions under Coach T but who cares because he bonds well with 20 year olds or something something…

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
No it hasn't? What are you talking about?

This issue is only recent due to Ben retiring, and now the debate is "build based on your good RBs or rebuild the offense with a new QB and new system". They never had that issue whatsoever before he retired, any sort of problems with the team were not "they weren't built appropriately".
Refused to recognize it had become a passing league and ignored the secondary, especially CB, forever. Wasted many early picks on low value positions like ILB, RB, S instead of prioritizing the trenches and passing game (both sides of ball). Used bellcow RBs until last year. Defense first mentality. Promoted internally multiple times for offensive coordinator. Refused to open up the offense post Big Ben and played “ball control”, which just means bad offense with low turnovers.

I could not disagree more with only having two choices of “play to strengths” or “redo everything”.

A good organization should constantly be trying to innovate and improve at every level, whether it’s strength and conditioning, offensive scheme, player eval, salary cap management, etc. Steelers have done things “the Steeler way” for the past 10 years and as a result the game has completely passed them by.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
It's fine. He'll be way better than Canada. His work as OC led to him being hired as HC in Atlanta. He's young-ish and he has experience working with the offensive line, which is an area where the Steelers have invested and could use better development.

Nobody was going to turn Pickett into a good QB, but this guy has a proven record implementing a top run game and the Steelers actually have the personnel to do it. It's a fine hire, not a sexy one, but it's still a step forward.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s a good hire on the surface. Track record as an OC holds up, regardless of the ATL head coaching gig.

Hire a good QB coach if it’s a concern.

A good QB coach isn't designing and communicating the scheme that will allow the QB to work, not unless the OC is delegating to a highly unusual degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad