OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Another miserable Tomlin hater. You may as well get a new team as he's not going anywhere.
People are finally wising up to Tomlin’s incompetence. His little record of never having a losing season is about to crumble, and that is the only thing the fan boys have been able to point to in defending him over the last decade.

People are FINALLY realizing he’s a fool. Better late than never, I guess, but where have they been all this time???

Last edited:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
People are finally wising up to Tomlin’s incompetence. His little record of never having a losing season is about to crumble, and that is the only thing the fan boys have been able to point to in defending him over the last decade.

People are FINALLY realizing he’s a fool. Better late than never, I guess, but where have they been all this time???
You do know how this ends right some how they go 3/5 or 4/4 to the bye get Tj back and Pickett takes over and Tomlin and company gets to 9 or 10 wins

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
You do know how this ends right some how they go 3/5 or 4/4 to the bye get Tj back and Pickett takes over and Tomlin and company gets to 9 or 10 wins
Exactly. Tomlin will work his way out of this. And one top of it, when he does, he again did it without Ben, which flies in the face of his detractors.

• Haha
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
3 playoff wins in 10 years. 6 appearances. Decade of purgatory. 15 years as a NFL HC with zero coaching tree to speak of.

It’s not an agenda or people hating to hate- he’s just an average coach and it makes sense Steelers fans want more given the history of the franchise and the talent at his disposal in his time here.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
3 playoff wins in 10 years. 6 appearances. Decade of purgatory. 15 years as a NFL HC with zero coaching tree to speak of.

It’s not an agenda or people hating to hate- he’s just an average coach and it makes sense Steelers fans want more given the history of the franchise and the talent at his disposal in his time here.

And when you consider the rosters he's had to work with ... it's a damning resume. The coaching tree especially.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
The coaching tree thing is a non story. We have gone over this and there have been plenty of good/great* coaches that have a bad coaching tree.

*I am not saying Tomlin is a good/great coach, just that a good or bad coaching tree is not a sign of a good/great coach. Belichek's tree is total crap. Noll's was crap. Landry's I believe is crap (could be wrong on this one). It is not an accurate trait of a good/great coach.

Reactions: xlm34

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
The coaching tree thing is a non story. We have gone over this and there have been plenty of good/great* coaches that have a bad coaching tree.

*I am not saying Tomlin is a good/great coach, just that a good or bad coaching tree is not a sign of a good/great coach. Belichek's tree is total crap. Noll's was crap. Landry's I believe is crap (could be wrong on this one). It is not an accurate trait of a good/great coach.

It's debatable, but those other coaches you listed actually have a tree to speak of. Their assistants actually went on to get promotions to HC for other teams, regardless of their success. And when they were still assistants they were highly regarded in that role.

Tomlin has ... ???

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I agree, I think it is an interesting part of his career.

But, the data shows that a pronounced coaching tree is not verification of a successful NFL head coach.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
It's debatable, but those other coaches you listed actually have a tree to speak of. Their assistants actually went on to get promotions to HC for other teams, regardless of their success. And when they were still assistants they were highly regarded in that role.

Tomlin has ... ???
You mean Matt Canada isn’t going to get offered a head coaching job somewhere in the NFL next year?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I agree, I think it is an interesting part of his career.

But, the data shows that a pronounced coaching tree is not verification of a successful NFL head coach.

Here's the thing, other coaches have at least 1 of their assistants go onto become a HC. Now many have certainly failed.

But Tomlin hasn't had 1 assistant he's groomed take a HC gig. NOT ONE! In 15 years. That's unprecedented

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
What about this team gives you hope that the team will go 9-8?

They've been horrendous in every facet aside from the defense in the first half of the Bengals game.
What they gave up 17 to New England and 22 to Cleveland on a short week when they have had the top 4 players in total defensive snaps they were exhausted and still did enough with an average offense to win.
Tomlin won 8 games with Duck and Mason

You mean Matt Canada isn’t going to get offered a head coaching job somewhere in the NFL next year?
No because he is going to be the oc next year here still

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
What they gave up 17 to New England and 22 to Cleveland on a short week when they have had the top 4 players in total defensive snaps they were exhausted and still did enough with an average offense to win.

Ya, I'm becoming less sure that Mitch is better than Mason.

The fact they only gave up 17 and 22 is a miracle, both teams moved the ball at will but had some costly drops on 3rd down.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The Dolphins should be dragged relentlessly since it is pretty clear they pretended Tua's clear concussion on sunday was a back injury.

This is why you don't let players play with concussions.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

With an electric defense where we pulled forward next year's 1st rounder onto the field.
TBH 2019 was the best Steelers defense since 2008. Maybe even better.

There is simply no way to explain why Matt Canada is here, in this current position, that doesn't call into question the basic decision-making of this organization. It is some combination of Tomlin wanting an inferior coordinator to not challenge him, and ARIII/Colbert/Tomlin giving way too much credence to what happened with the other occupants in the building 6-8 years ago. Or maybe something else at work. But he is underqualified for his job, and he isn't good at it.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
What about this team gives you hope that the team will go 9-8?

They've been horrendous in every facet aside from the defense in the first half of the Bengals game.

None. I've never said that they would.

All I said was that with how these things usually go is that Tomlin will step in a pile of shit and come out smelling like a rose somehow and we will continue to be on this perpetual loop of mediocrity.

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
With an electric defense where we pulled forward next year's 1st rounder onto the field.
TBH 2019 was the best Steelers defense since 2008. Maybe even better.

There is simply no way to explain why Matt Canada is here, in this current position, that doesn't call into question the basic decision-making of this organization. It is some combination of Tomlin wanting an inferior coordinator to not challenge him, and ARIII/Colbert/Tomlin giving way too much credence to what happened with the other occupants in the building 6-8 years ago. Or maybe something else at work. But he is underqualified for his job, and he isn't good at it.
The guy had other nfl team interested in his service other nfl teams use the same concepts he uses but he is under qualified because he needs average QB play. The guy got Nathan peterman drafted he inspired mcvay and shanahan while he was at northern Illinois so much so that mcvay spent time with him learning about his offense and used it for the rams. Miami and nerd boy used the same concept Canada likes just last night

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The guy had other nfl team interested in his service other nfl teams use the same concepts he uses but he is under qualified because he needs average QB play. The guy got Nathan peterman drafted he inspired mcvay and shanahan while he was at northern Illinois so much so that mcvay spent time with him learning about his offense and used it for the rams. Miami and nerd boy used the same concept Canada likes just last night
Okay all this stuff about how Matt Canada is a seminal mind in football - so, next job: NFL OC or Top 25 program OC? Better than that, or worse?

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

I mean that’s probably true, but that isn’t a good thing. Also, just because he will most likely still be employed doesn’t mean a team can’t interview him for another position

As I have tried betting to @bigdaddyk88 , Canada is going to take a huge step backwards in his next role.
He’s probably still going to be the Steelers OC. So that eliminates the chance of him getting a promotion. I mean if you have a coordinator job other teams can’t interview you after all. I’m sure teams would be lining up to hire Canada next year if only he didn’t already have a job

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I mean that’s probably true, but that isn’t a good thing. Also, just because he will most likely still be employed doesn’t mean a team can’t interview him for another position

He’s probably still going to be the Steelers OC. So that eliminates the chance of him getting a promotion. I mean if you have a coordinator job other teams can’t interview you after all. I’m sure teams would be lining up to hire Canada next year if only he didn’t already have a job

I think the results of Canada are as clear as day. Every OC he got, college or in the pros, has been completely disastrous. His offense is what high school kids come up with trying to be crafty. The issue with it in the SEC or in the pros is that these defenses are incredibly fast and physical. Doing 3 hand offs behind the line of scrimmage kills linemen. Tossing the ball around on these little pitches also increases the probability of fumbling. It's a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad