OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
3 QB's with 3 extremely different skillsets look shitty over the past few seasons (Ben/Rudolph/MT).

If only we could figure out what that constant factor is....hmmmm. Such a mystery. Maybe we should get Melnyk's forensic analysis to help us out in this case?

Reactions: Night Shift

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
3 QB's with 3 extremely different skillsets look shitty over the past few seasons (Ben/Rudolph/MT).

If only we could figure out what that constant factor is....hmmmm. Such a mystery. Maybe we should get Melnyk's forensic analysis to help us out in this case?

Starts with the HC and his ***** decisions for his coaching staff. After 15 years he got comfortable and lazy (knows he isn't getting fired, doesn't give a ****) and doesn't have to make the effort. Too lazy to implement his scheme, so....

At this point it goes beyond the argument of which scheme he needs to build his D.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
MT is a career backup who doesn’t go through progressions who doesn’t run even though he has mobility and doesn’t have the arm strength to throw the ball down field. He is a Teddy Bridewater Alex Smith type of Qb. He won with an elite defense in Chicago where he only would have to throw it 3000 yards and 2 1 td interception ratio. That’s exactly what he is doing here. His career averages are 200 a game 1 td the cowboys are getting better play from Rush. He has completed 5 throws off 20 yards or more down field and it took DJ and GP making amazing catches to get them.in Chicago he competed 64 percent of his passes and on passes 9 yard and under he had a 114 Qbr in his pro bowl season.
Why does he move so well in no huddle that was answered by Warner film break down he doesn’t have to think in no huddle he doesn’t have to process anything pre snap. He just get the snap and let’s it go. He doesn’t play with in the pocket Fitzpatrick said it best on Thursday MT is playing like a guy scared to lose his job not a guy who knows if I do not ball out I am losing this job soon. Or has RG3 put it he has bad memories from Chicago and if your going to treat him like a rookie play the rookie

Once again, I railed agt MT, so I’m not going to get into defending him.

However, this is now 21 games of the same old shit, and the one constant is Canada - the guy who didn’t last more than 1.5 seasons at his last two jobs as OC.

You have been saying for 21 games Canada isn’t a problem - and each time he proves you wrong.

A good OC could make this a competent offense, no QB is as bad as Canada’s offense makes him look.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I think Canada sucks and Mitch Trubisky sucks. If I had to say who sucks more I would say Trubisky. Until the Steelers play a QB I know can play the position and has an arm to make all the throws, I can't totally 100% say Canada is the problem.

Aka, until they play Kenny......

And anybody else driven crazy by how much Trubisky throws off his back foot. It's maddening. And it just shows how him only playing a year in college has affected his development. It's obvious he just won't change.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
They were all below average QBs with a below average OC?

Broken down Ben was "average" last year.

MT and Mason are a tier below him. Witness the Lions game. Tell me that what you saw in that game isn't a carbon copy of what you've seen for the first 3 games.

Pick the top QB in the league right now: Mahommes, Rodgers, etc. Whoever you want to pick and you plop him in this offense and you're probably only getting about 4 more points per game. This scheme that's rolled out is rudimentary and easily diagnosed by defenses.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Or maybe after being around and coaching the Tampa 2 scheme and the 3-4 scheme, he thinks the 3-4 scheme is better.......?

I'll post a better argument for you since my last response I was currently on the road getting last minute items for the hurricane down here, I'm a matter of hours of losing power.

Cowher ran the 3-4 as D-Coordinator for the Chiefs for a handful of seasons. The 3-4 being Cowher's speciality...so it made perfect sense when he became HC from the 90's to the mid 2000s the 3-4 was the staple. Cowher and Lebeau were a perfect marriage there, most likely why Lebeau had a 2nd stint here too.

As you may know I also like TB, so here is what I know in this regard:Todd Bowles as D coordinator also ran the 3-4 and is also his specialty. As head coach this year his Defense didn't change. Makes sense right? He sticks to his philosophy.

I don't care if Tomlin "likes" the 3-4 he never coached it prior to coming here. He obviously doesn't know how to run it either (i.e him.calling the plays in the Browns playoff game).

It doesn't make sense to hire a defensive minded head coach who doesn't specialize in the 3-4 if we are hell bent staying that way. Again I expected him to change that when Lebeau retired and don't understand why he did not.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
TomLin's favorite quote of the offseason "we don't live in our fears", well then please explain Mike, why you refuse to allow your QB to call audibles at the line in fear of him making mistakes?

His most famous quote from 100 years ago that the casuals will argue why he is a good coach.

That and "unleashing hell", also 100 years ago which scored him immunity of criticism from the media. Great motivator (I guess).

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
TomLin's favorite quote of the offseason "we don't live in our fears", well then please explain Mike, why you refuse to allow your QB to call audibles at the line in fear of him making mistakes?

Tomlin has always lived in his fears.
He pussed out in the Clev playoff game where we were roaring back and on 4 and like 4 he punts. Game was sealed at that moment.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Has someone said that's the reason why no audibles?
Could there be another reason? His ego won't allow him? Canada's ego? There's no other explanation I can think of and Tomlin has the final say on everything. Claypool has even been quoted saying the wrong offense has been called for the defense and the ability to audible out of it is basic football.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Could there be another reason? His ego won't allow him? Canada's ego? There's no other explanation I can think of and Tomlin has the final say on everything. Claypool has even been quoted saying the wrong offense has been called for the defense and the ability to audible out of it is basic football.

People roll their eyes when I call them Clowns.

Reactions: Factorial

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Name one.

Explanation? Tomlin is the HC and lacks the qualities of the role. Tomlin has no clue what he is doing. His hiring of Canada and retaining him should be enough to tell you that.

His hiring of then Butler and now Flores is weird too because neither ran the style of D Tomlin used to run.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Explanation? Tomlin is the HC and lacks the qualities of the role. Tomlin has no clue what he is doing. His hiring of Canada and retaining him should be enough to tell you that.

His hiring of then Butler and now Flores is weird too because neither ran the style of D Tomlin used to run.
Wait do you think I'm defending Tomlin? Quite the opposite.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Name one.
Coaches are treating the first handful of games similarly to how some coaches script plays to start a game. They want to see how players perform certain tasks and how they react based on what the defense does to counter those tasks. They’re doing this because it’s the first year with a new QB (no matter who the QB is) and an evolving offensive philosophy based on that transition.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Coaches are treating the first handful of games similarly to how some coaches script plays to start a game. They want to see how players perform certain tasks and how they react based on what the defense does to counter those tasks. They’re doing this because it’s the first year with a new QB (no matter who the QB is) and an evolving offensive philosophy based on that transition.
So when you call your scripted run play and the defense just say's "we know you can't pass worth shit" and stacks the box, then your QB just has to grit his teeth and hand the ball off?

Scripted plays don't work unless you know your players are just better than the guys across.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
So when you call your scripted run play and the defense just say's "we know you can't pass worth shit" and stacks the box, then your QB just has to grit his teeth and hand the ball off?

Scripted plays don't work unless you know your players are just better than the guys across.
You asked if there was another possible reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad