OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The theory I 100% believe is that Tomlin doesn't want a hotshot OC to challenge him. The only coaching hire Tomlin has made in recent memory that qualifies as "good" is Flores, and everyone knows that Flores owes Tomlin for the job.

Tomlin is threatened by competent assistants.
Regardless of the pie chart of blame between Canada and Trubisky (or Canada and Ben last year), I firmly believe not a single other NFL team would hire Matt Canada based on his track record here and the things Orgeron said about him at LSU.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The theory I 100% believe is that Tomlin doesn't want a hotshot OC to challenge him. The only coaching hire Tomlin has made in recent memory that qualifies as "good" is Flores, and everyone knows that Flores owes Tomlin for the job.

Regardless of the pie chart of blame between Canada and Trubisky (or Canada and Ben last year), I firmly believe not a single other NFL team would hire Matt Canada based on his track record here and the things Orgeron said about him at LSU.
Except Flores was interested in Canada while he was in Miami. Why would Tomlin feel threatened he has the most job security as any human

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

To be honest this sounds like a thing that Tomlin-haters are projects by into the situation.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Noticed today the Steelers have the top three teams in the ESPN power rankings coming up in the next 5 games... oh and Brady to.

If they go 0-5 or 4-1, I won't be shocked either way, because that's how Tomlin rolls.

Feel like Tomlin is catching a break with a rusty Wilson back this week over Flacco.

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
To be honest this sounds like a thing that Tomlin-haters are projects by into the situation.

I'm not a huge Tomlin hater.

He just prefers to keep his assistants non-threatening. A woefully underqualified OC, the second in a row, seems the pattern.

Except Flores was interested in Canada while he was in Miami. Why would Tomlin feel threatened he has the most job security as any human

Are you willing to make another wager on Matt Canada's next job? Whether he will get an NFL Coordinator or any top 25 college school, or if he'll go back to QB coach or a mid-tier college?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Even if the Steelers get a top 5 pick, I'm not sure this draft sets up that well for them. It's going to be QB heavy, so I guess they may be able to get a ransom for the pick if a team wants to move up.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I dont fault Tomlin for not putting Pickett in right now. This is about as nice as I will say about Tomlin-I can admire the decision to use Trubisky as fodder to protect Pickett. There are a lot of "great" coaches that will do that. I get the age thing and all and people take too much stock into Picketts age, look at Aaron Rodgers. Got a late start sitting behind Favre.

Tomlin is just bad at everything else when it comes to most things or responsiblties of an NFL coach. Whether it's hiring a staff, creating gameplans, schemes and throwing rookies under the bus in the media. Even the press conferences are cringe anymore. I understand the Rooney philosophy.... but Tomlin is not the kind of coach you want to keep for over 5 years.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

If IIRC Tomlin ran the Tampa 2 scheme "in his 1 year" in Minnesota as D coordinator. He brought that scheme there from when he was a DB coach in Tampa with Monte Kiffen.

When Tomlin was first hired, I thought (expected) we'd make the change from the 3-4 to the Tampa 2 after Lebeau was retired. That was supposed to be his imprint on this team. Except we never saw anything of that nature or even an attempt to hire a defensive coordinator to run that scheme.

Perhaps he got away from what made him successfull and regarded around the league in 07 in the first place, which is the Tampa 2 scheme.

This was where he lost me too (not trying to put his philosophy on this team). Now he looks like a lost puppet waiting for miracles.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I dont fault Tomlin for not putting Pickett in right now. This is about as nice as I will say about Tomlin-I can admire the decision to use Trubisky as fodder to protect Pickett. There are a lot of "great" coaches that will do that. I get the age thing and all and people take too much stock into Picketts age, look at Aaron Rodgers. Got a late start sitting behind Favre.

Tomlin is just bad at everything else when it comes to most things or responsiblties of an NFL coach. Whether it's hiring a staff, creating gameplans, schemes and throwing rookies under the bus in the media. Even the press conferences are cringe anymore. I understand the Rooney philosophy.... but Tomlin is not the kind of coach you want to keep for over 5 years.

The thing is, what is he protecting KP from?

Tomlin is essentially protecting KP from his own incompetence because he kept/is keeping Canada around.

Many of us didn’t want KP to play because we felt the line would get him killed, but the line has done quite well pass blocking.

So while I generally give Tomlin his just dues, this mess is squarely on his shoulders (keeping Canada around/predetermined MT was the starter).

Reactions: Andy99

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Noticed today the Steelers have the top three teams in the ESPN power rankings coming up in the next 5 games... oh and Brady to.

Brady isn't himself right now and maybe because it's all the injuries on offense, it's been very Penguinish for the Bucs with the injuries the past couple years.

The Bucs D and the head coaching matchup is why the Steelers will likely go down.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
And if Tomlin did switch away from the 3-4 to the 4-3 Tampa 2 defense and the team did bad then you would just rail on him
If IIRC Tomlin ran the Tampa 2 scheme "in his 1 year" in Minnesota as D coordinator. He brought that scheme there from when he was a DB coach in Tampa with Monte Kiffen.

When Tomlin was first hired, I thought (expected) we'd make the change from the 3-4 to the Tampa 2 after Lebeau was retired. That was supposed to be his imprint on this team. Except we never saw anything of that nature or even an attempt to hire a defensive coordinator to run that scheme.

Perhaps he got away from what made him successfull and regarded around the league in 07 in the first place, which is the Tampa 2 scheme.

This was where he lost me too (not trying to put his philosophy on this team). Now he looks like a lost puppet waiting for miracles.

Do you feel the Tampa 2 is a better defense than the 3-4 the Steelers run today?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
And if Tomlin did switch away from the 3-4 to the 4-3 Tampa 2 defense and the team did bad then you would just rail on him

Do you feel the Tampa 2 is a better defense than the 3-4 the Steelers run today?

First of all -They have to draft and develop the right personell to run that scheme.

He deserves to be railed because he's had since 07 to do that and he chose to be a lazy ****

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The thing is, what is he protecting KP from?

Tomlin is essentially protecting KP from his own incompetence because he kept/is keeping Canada around.

Many of us didn’t want KP to play because we felt the line would get him killed, but the line has done quite well pass blocking.

So while I generally give Tomlin his just dues, this mess is squarely on his shoulders (keeping Canada around/predetermined MT was the starter).
Except Canada recruited KP to play in his offense so if there’s one reason not to worry about KP is Canada offense. Canada offense does have open Wr and the one year KP had under whipple in a pro system learning to throw with anticipation and throw guys open is more pro coaching than Mitch had.
I honestly think he guaranteed Mitch would get September no matter what the players knew he was given the job in camp. However Tomlin isn’t stupid he is stubborn sure. I think he as seen enough improvement from the o line and Wr group that another terrible start from Mt and KP comes in. The worst thing would be MT ball out against the jets and allow Tomlin stubbornness to give MT to the bye

First of all -They have to draft and develop the right personell to run that scheme.

He deserves to be railed because he's had since 07 to do that and he chose to be a lazy ****
They don’t run base anymore against Cincinnati they were in 3-4 3 snaps. They ran more base against Cleveland but they have been transitioning to big nickel or 3 safety defense like Buffalo for 3 seasons

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Or maybe after being around and coaching the Tampa 2 scheme and the 3-4 scheme, he thinks the 3-4 scheme is better.......?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Except Canada recruited KP to play in his offense so if there’s one reason not to worry about KP is Canada offense. Canada offense does have open Wr and the one year KP had under whipple in a pro system learning to throw with anticipation and throw guys open is more pro coaching than Mitch had.
I honestly think he guaranteed Mitch would get September no matter what the players knew he was given the job in camp. However Tomlin isn’t stupid he is stubborn sure. I think he as seen enough improvement from the o line and Wr group that another terrible start from Mt and KP comes in. The worst thing would be MT ball out against the jets and allow Tomlin stubbornness to give MT to the bye

They don’t run base anymore against Cincinnati they were in 3-4 3 snaps. They ran more base against Cleveland but they have been transitioning to big nickel or 3 safety defense like Buffalo for 3 seasons

Canada recruiting KP doesn’t mean much when Canada struggles to call plays at the NFL level.

Play calling is a form of chess and Canada still isn’t sure how to move his pieces, let alone be a grandmaster.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Canada recruiting KP doesn’t mean much when Canada struggles to call plays at the NFL level.

Play calling is a form of chess and Canada still isn’t sure how to move his pieces, let alone be a grandmaster.
For a guy who doesn’t know how to move chess pieces there is a ton of open pieces on the all 22 board.
In the nfl even the best OC are limited by Qb play. There’s a reason the rams went from Goff to Stafford and the great Shanahan has a losing record without Jimmy G. Minnesota has Justin Jefferson and is held back bye Cousins.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
For a guy who doesn’t know how to move chess pieces there is a ton of open pieces on the all 22 board.
In the nfl even the best OC are limited by Qb play. There’s a reason the rams went from Goff to Stafford and the great Shanahan has a losing record without Jimmy G. Minnesota has Justin Jefferson and is held back bye Cousins.

I was told Canada’s RPO offense was perfect for the mobile MT… curious.

Why is it the offense could move well when Roth called the plays with the same personnel?

Why does it move well this season when they go hurry up?

Maybe has to do with why Orgeron said hiring Canada was a mistake.

MT as I have kept emphasizing, isn’t more than avg, but he’s won in this league many times and gotten his teams to the playoffs.

So he isn’t Kent Graham bad, but the Canada offense will do that to a QB.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I was told Canada’s RPO offense was perfect for the mobile MT… curious.

Why is it the offense could move well when Roth called the plays with the same personnel?

Why does it move well this season when they go hurry up?

Maybe has to do with why Orgeron said hiring Canada was a mistake.

MT as I have kept emphasizing, isn’t more than avg, but he’s won in this league many times and gotten his teams to the playoffs.

So he isn’t Kent Graham bad, but the Canada offense will do that to a QB.
MT is a career backup who doesn’t go through progressions who doesn’t run even though he has mobility and doesn’t have the arm strength to throw the ball down field. He is a Teddy Bridewater Alex Smith type of Qb. He won with an elite defense in Chicago where he only would have to throw it 3000 yards and 2 1 td interception ratio. That’s exactly what he is doing here. His career averages are 200 a game 1 td the cowboys are getting better play from Rush. He has completed 5 throws off 20 yards or more down field and it took DJ and GP making amazing catches to get them.in Chicago he competed 64 percent of his passes and on passes 9 yard and under he had a 114 Qbr in his pro bowl season.
Why does he move so well in no huddle that was answered by Warner film break down he doesn’t have to think in no huddle he doesn’t have to process anything pre snap. He just get the snap and let’s it go. He doesn’t play with in the pocket Fitzpatrick said it best on Thursday MT is playing like a guy scared to lose his job not a guy who knows if I do not ball out I am losing this job soon. Or has RG3 put it he has bad memories from Chicago and if your going to treat him like a rookie play the rookie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad