OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Why does anyone think Kenny Pickett was going to play a down of football this year unless there was an injury? The Steelers have their “Steeler way” of doing things and it’s always what’s best (even though it really isn’t.) Kenny Pickett had absolutely 0.00 chance of playing a down of football this year unless guys got injured….which is why there were a large segment of people on this board arguing that drafting a QB at 20 was a really dumb idea…and the were right on the money

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Why does anyone think Kenny Pickett was going to play a down of football this year unless there was an injury? The Steelers have their “Steeler way” of doing things and it’s always what’s best (even though it really isn’t.) Kenny Pickett had absolutely 0.00 chance of playing a down of football this year unless guys got injured….which is why there were a large segment of people on this board arguing that drafting a QB at 20 was a really dumb idea…and the were right on the money
Then why is he QB2 if they trust him to be one injury away from playing. If he is wasn’t going to play he should be Qb3. He is 24 not 22 with more starts in college than Mitch. Mitch never earned the job in camp he didn’t lose it well he is losing it each game.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The problem last season was so clearly not Ben. It’s these stupid f***ing coaches and Steelers brass that currently run the organization.

Ben wasn’t run out of town, he gladly packed his bags. He basically said that on his podcast.

Anyone with half a brain needs to start directing this ire towards Tomlin and Rooney. Not only did they waste the last 10 years of Ben’s prime, they have put us in a hole a mile deep with this dogshit coaching staff (sans Flores) and tons of mediocre talent.

Reactions: lastcupever75

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
The problem last season was so clearly not Ben. It’s these stupid f***ing coaches and Steelers brass that currently run the organization.

Ben wasn’t run out of town, he gladly packed his bags. He basically said that on his podcast.

Anyone with half a brain needs to start directing this ire towards Tomlin and Rooney. Not only did they waste the last 10 years of Ben’s prime, they have put us in a hole a mile deep with this dogshit coaching staff (sans Flores) and tons of mediocre talent.

No Ben's arm was a wet Noodle, He should have had TJS & retired when he hurt it, Tomlin & Canada are Incompetent & so is poor little rich kid Farty Rooney

Ben said Colbert wanted him to retire

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The team is going to be bad either way and even if they make a change that leads to improvement they are still not remotely contenders.

You guys need to take some lessons from us Bucs fans, stop worrying, and learn to love the bomb.

Me watching the Steelers this season:

giphy (10).gif

Reactions: Factorial

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Why are you posting quotes on young QBs?

We already went over the point teams will limit young QBs and range of audibles, that is common sense.

The entire point was about veteran QBs and how rare it is for them not to be allowed to audible.

Say like a 17th year QB and a 6th year QB.

Why is a 6th year veteran QB predetermined to be the starter when he isn’t even trusted to audible?

Again, you keep dancing around the obvious and don’t want to admit Canada was the problem, not Roth.

Keep circling the drain I guess.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I disagree that Kenny has zero chance of playing a down of football. When the Steelers are out of the playoffs or if Trubisky is truely struggling and they think Kenny is ready then he will play.

Yep. Especially if they are ridiculously out of it at the end of the year. The FO will start seeing those empty seats. They will throw Pickett out there just to get the stadium full for a game or two.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Ben was still a problem last year just like Trubisky is a problem this year. But I think it’s pretty clear at this point that Canada is the biggest problem.

And since it apparently needs to be said, this is not me trying to diminish what Roethlisberger did over the rest of his career.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yep. Especially if they are ridiculously out of it at the end of the year. The FO will start seeing those empty seats. They will throw Pickett out there just to get the stadium full for a game or two.

Steelers sell those tickets whether people show up or not - and there is a massive waiting list behind those who want to surrender their season tickets.

I doubt not being at capacity will influence anything they do - unfortunately.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011

This probably truth to it than not, which is all the more reason Pickett needs to see significant time this season.

Pickett isn't young for a modern 1st round QB, and started a lot of college games compared to most recent picks. Couple that with the Steelers are pretty likely to have their first truly bad record in decades, with an upcoming QB draft class that practically everybody in the league/media expected to be better than this past one, and you have practically a mirror image of the scenario the Cardinals had to navigate deciding to draft Murray one year after Rosen.

They have crucial holes they need to fill, and a first in decades potential top-5 pick would be crucial to starting to mend this roster mess they're in, but they need to find out whether Pickett is a QB worth dedicating themselves to or not first and foremost, and thus whether or not they need to seriously consider a QB in this coming draft.

It would be an entirely modern Steelers thing to do to get caught up in the yinzer enthusiasm for Pickett and waste the opportunity to find out whether or not he can actually hack it in the pro's first only to overlook potential better QB prospects just because they got desperate a year too early.

Play Pickett, if he shows signs of a high ceiling then great, keep him and dedicate next draft to the trenches. If not, you have potentially better options right away.

They need to figure out the most important position on the team first before anything else.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The fundamental problem remains that modern NFL defenses are too fast to be beat by an offense that plays on a 10 yard field 95% of the time.

A defense can play the whole game running towards the line on any snap and the Steelers largely don't make you pay for it.

That is why they get no YAC and that is why the running backs get stuffed 3 yards behind the line 5 times a game.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This probably truth to it than not, which is all the more reason Pickett needs to see significant time this season.

Pickett isn't young for a modern 1st round QB, and started a lot of college games compared to most recent picks. Couple that with the Steelers are pretty likely to have their first truly bad record in decades, with an upcoming QB draft class that practically everybody in the league/media expected to be better than this past one, and you have practically a mirror image of the scenario the Cardinals had to navigate deciding to draft Murray one year after Rosen.

They have crucial holes they need to fill, and a first in decades potential top-5 pick would be crucial to starting to mend this roster mess they're in, but they need to find out whether Pickett is a QB worth dedicating themselves to or not first and foremost, and thus whether or not they need to seriously consider a QB in this coming draft.

It would be an entirely modern Steelers thing to do to get caught up in the yinzer enthusiasm for Pickett and waste the opportunity to find out whether or not he can actually hack it in the pro's first only to overlook potential better QB prospects just because they got desperate a year too early.

Play Pickett, if he shows signs of a high ceiling then great, keep him and dedicate next draft to the trenches. If not, you have potentially better options right away.

They need to figure out the most important position on the team first before anything else.
I agree with this. If we are hurtling towards a high 1st, we need to see if we should take a QB. Mitch is like Gregory Polanco. He does cool prospectey things and you get to thinking about the #2OA pick, but ultimately the guy is 28. Has a prospect/project aura but he is in his prime actually. Not gonna get better.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think I posted something similar last year, but the sense I get is that none of the players are being "coached up." Maybe the approach from the coaches is "these are men, they've been playing football a long time" whatever, but you just don't see a lot of cohesion, like players know what to expect from each other because the fundamentals of their systems and schemes aren't being established consistently or sufficiently. There's some "football IQ" stuff in there at the player level too, but that can be improved with that kind of coaching.

Obviously I'm not at practice, nor am I a football coach. So grain of salt here, but that's what it looks like.

For example, are the ILBs not filling the right holes in the run game because they are dumb, just plain suck or because they haven't been drilled what to expect from the DL based on their scheme and the scheme of their opponent? Even if they're the first two, coaching can make them at least better.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I can’t believe anyone thinks this team will win more than 5 games this season…and I have a hard time even seeing five wins lol

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Steelers sell those tickets whether people show up or not - and there is a massive waiting list behind those who want to surrender their season tickets.

I doubt not being at capacity will influence anything they do - unfortunately.
Understand the tickets are sold well beforehand. Still not a good look if they are bad enough that it turns into a Pitt vs Western Michigan attendance wise game. If they are truly out of it, I have no doubt Pickett gets one of those last home games. May be the last one against the Browns.

I can’t believe anyone thinks this team will win more than 5 games this season…and I have a hard time even seeing five wins lol
They did this same shit last year and somehow got to 9-8. Looks like a harder schedule though. But I think the team is better, as well.

But I would rather see the 5-12 than the 9-8. Because if this team gets to 9-8 and back doors again to a playoff birth, Chargers/Bills/Chiefs once again destroy this team.

Astonishing that they have the highest paid defense in the league but somehow have way more holes than the offense right now.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I disagree that Kenny has zero chance of playing a down of football. When the Steelers are out of the playoffs or if Trubisky is truely struggling and they think Kenny is ready then he will play.

Yeah, I think this is spot-on. They'll go 3-7 over the first 10 games of the year and then put Pickett in once the year is lost.

Honestly, Trubisky starting has the benefit of improving the Steelers 1st for next year. Get the best OL you can with your high 1st and I'd be pretty comfortable with the OL for next year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Understand the tickets are sold well beforehand. Still not a good look if they are bad enough that it turns into a Pitt vs Western Michigan attendance wise game. If they are truly out of it, I have no doubt Pickett gets one of those last home games. May be the last one against the Browns.

They did this same shit last year and somehow got to 9-8. Looks like a harder schedule though. But I think the team is better, as well.

But I would rather see the 5-12 than the 9-8. Because if this team gets to 9-8 and back doors again to a playoff birth, Chargers/Bills/Chiefs once again destroy this team.

Astonishing that they have the highest paid defense in the league but somehow have way more holes than the offense right now.

Oh, I agree KP will see time if they are out of it or else Tomlin is true a moron.

I'm just saying Rooney won't push Tomlin to play KP over 10-15k empty seats... he is still collecting their money. He won't feel any pressure over empty seats.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Really? On the money u say? KP was the clear best Qb in this draft and I’ll make the argument that he’ll be better than anyone in next years draft as well.

You never pass up the opportunity to draft a franchise qb, unless you have one in their prime.
see Dan Marino.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Jay Glazer reported that the Steelers plan was to not have Pickett play a down of football this season. We all know that if it’s coming from Glazer, it’s coming from Tomlin. Pickett won’t play if they are out of the playoff race. Pickett only plays a game if Mitch gets hurt

Really? On the money u say? KP was the clear best Qb in this draft and I’ll make the argument that he’ll be better than anyone in next years draft as well.

You never pass up the opportunity to draft a franchise qb, unless you have one in their prime.
see Dan Marino.
Congrats to him for being the best of a shitty bunch of QB prospects.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Jay Glazer reported that the Steelers plan was to not have Pickett play a down of football this season. We all know that if it’s coming from Glazer, it’s coming from Tomlin. Pickett won’t play if they are out of the playoff race. Pickett only plays a game if Mitch gets hurt

Congrats to him for being the best of a shitty bunch of QB prospects.
Who cares about the other “Shitty” prospects if KP is a great one? Are you watching how an offense and overall team dies with pedestrian Qb play?

Reactions: lastcupever75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad