OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
I was predicting the team stumbling in to a winning record and somehow making the playoffs because the rest of the league pretty much sucks as well, then getting destroyed in embarrassing fashion in the playoffs...again.

I think being wrong might be better.

Reactions: Andy99

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
You aren’t going to beat anyone with that second half performance. All started with their first drive. The dumbass lineman down field penalty took points off the board.

I think the most glaring of it all is Tomlin continuously playing scared. 4th and 5 at the Browns 40 and not going for it was a very dumb move. Ended up punting and only netting 20ish yards. This team is afraid to take chances in every aspect of the game. A coaching staff that is afraid to take any chances on O. Coaches that make chicken little calls in game. And then coaches on D not being able to recognize a team is running the ball at will and throwing 7 yard passes into zone coverages the entire game. It’s like how don’t they see that shit.

Oh, you also can’t go 3 and out 3 times in a row and have the opposing team go on 15 play drives. There isn’t a defense in the league that wouldn’t be exhausted. Understand it’s on them to get off the field as well but damn.

Just hard to have any positive outlook after that second half. They pounded it down our throats on D and then on O, they reverted back to stupid ass play calling and execution.

They have a gauntlet the next 5-6 games. They better pull some wins out because if they don’t, the outside noise will be deafening. If they are sitting at 2-6, 3-5 at the end of it, I would guess there’s about 90% chance either Canada is looking for a new job, or Trubisky is holding a clipboard during games. They simply can’t go the entire year averaging 14 points a game on offense.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm done blaming the line. Najee doesn't hit holes. Mitch doesn't stay in a pocket. There is only so much they can do.

I'd rather do that than leave a backup QB in to lose games for the Steelers :dunno:

The only benefit of Trubisky starting at this point is raising the Steelers draft pick.

I say let it go. Ride or die with Mitch. Let things be as they may.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I like the progress in Alex Highsmith's game. He made a slick spin move for his sack tonight.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I agree JTG. The line looked fine yesterday to me. It looks like play calling and QB play to me, more than anything.

Reactions: Mr Jiggyfly

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It’s been 5 years since Ben played like an HOF. There’s only 10 great QBs and even the best OC suck without good Qb play.

That was for 7 last ride

So every OC in the league without a great QB is putting up historically inept numbers like Canada?

You sure about that?

Roth’s corpse last year saved Tomlin from a losing season.

When he took over the playcalling from Canada, he pulled wins out of his ass because even his corpse was far superior to a guy like MT.

That is what a HOF QB can do, even when he’s old and slow. - once again that luxury is gone for Tomlin.

I was told MT mobility would make this offense better because Roth’s slow ass was holding it back.

How’s that working out?

Fun fact - Browns D scored double the points of the Steelers O in the second half…

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
It's the job of reporters to criticize a head coach?

Well the media/reporters create a narrative. Then they feed it to the public and then everyone just kind of falls in line with whatever is repeated enough.
I mean how often did we hear and see last night "never had a losing season". That's MT's narrative via the media. That's fact

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
So every OC in the league without a great QB is putting up historically inept numbers like Canada?

You sure about that?

Roth’s corpse last year saved Tomlin from a losing season.

When he took over the playcalling from Canada, he pulled wins out of his ass because even his corpse was far superior to a guy like MT.

That is what a HOF QB can do, even when he’s old and slow. - once again that luxury is gone for Tomlin.

I was told MT mobility would make this offense better because Roth’s slow ass was holding it back.

How’s that working out?

Fun fact - Browns D scored double the points of the Steelers O in the second half…
They won games inspite of Ben last year he was the worst none rookie Qb other than Goff. They started out 1-3 cracked 20 2 times in that stretch. Got to 3-3 at the bye Ben was putting up 200 yards a game and 1 td that’s Mitch numbers.
Ben had moments like the song says I was good once as I ever was last year

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
They won games inspite of Ben last year he was the worst none rookie Qb other than Goff. They started out 1-3 cracked 20 2 times in that stretch. Got to 3-3 at the bye Ben was putting up 200 yards a game and 1 td that’s Mitch numbers.
Ben had moments like the song says I was good once as I ever was last year

Nah - he was old and not who he used to be, but HE won in spite of Canada, not vice versa.

We are seeing evidence of that now. Crystal clear evidence.

I know that reality is a bitter pill for you to swallow, but time to move on from the denial phase to the acceptance phase now.

Imagine being a HOF QB and told you can’t audible out of most plays some shitty rookie OC is making you run.

When Tomlin’s hand was forced and Roth called his own plays, his corpse rescued Tomlin from the Canada debacle and his first losing season.

Any other way you try to spin it is delusional.

Scheme and playcalling is an art and a talent, not just anyone can do it in the NFL, like say Canada.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Offensive Points scored through the first three games in 2021: 43

Offensive Points scored through the first three games 2022: 47

Yay for improvement? Really similar starts both years. Amazing defensive performance week 1. Lose a winnable game week 2. Completely embarrassed by a divisional opponent week 3.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I'm kinda watching these next couple games like pre season. Trying not to get too fixated on W/L

I did see some encouraging things tonight that I hadn't seen in the other 2 games:

-More rollouts/waggles/moving the pocket from the offense
-Took some shots down the field (too bad MT is inaccurate)
-Oline played pretty well
-Defense got a couple sacks

This team still isn't doing shit without Watt and a competent QB

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Nah - he was old and not who he used to be, but HE won in spite of Canada, not vice versa.

We are seeing evidence of that now. Crystal clear evidence.

I know that reality is a bitter pill for you to swallow, but time to move on from the denial phase to the acceptance phase now.

Imagine being a HOF QB and told you can’t audible out of most plays some shitty rookie OC is making you run.

When Tomlin’s hand was forced and Roth called his own plays, his corpse rescued Tomlin from the Canada debacle and his first losing season.

Any other way you try to spin it is delusional.

Scheme and playcalling is an art and a talent, not just anyone can do it in the NFL, like say Canada.
Who cares about audible you act like Ben was Manning and checking into plays and beating teams with his mind like he did in Denver. You have to have the Wr all understand hot routes you have to the o line all understand the protection and a Qb you who sees the defense pre snap all on the same page.
If it’s an RPo you don’t need to audible

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I'm kinda watching these next couple games like pre season. Trying not to get too fixated on W/L

I did see some encouraging things tonight that I hadn't seen in the other 2 games:

-More rollouts/waggles/moving the pocket from the offense
-Took some shots down the field (too bad MT is inaccurate)
-Oline played pretty well
-Defense got a couple sacks

This team still isn't doing shit without Watt and a competent QB

I think this is the best approach to take. Overall the season is going to be insanely frustrating, but at the end of the day it’s a rebuilding year whether the staff wants to admit it or not.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Who cares about audible you act like Ben was Manning and checking into plays and beating teams with his mind like he did in Denver. You have to have the Wr all understand hot routes you have to the o line all understand the protection and a Qb you who sees the defense pre snap all on the same page.

You could have just said “I have no clue how football offenses work” and saved yourself all that typing.

Even Todd Haley is disturbed by it:

Said it “isn’t something you want to hear” that it is “disturbing” and “every team has audibles to check out of plays”, despite your claim half the league doesn’t audible (that got a good laugh from me I’ll admit).

And this wasn’t even a very good OC and still he can’t believe Canada doesn’t let his QBs audible.

So how deep do you want to keep sinking on this boss?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You aren’t going to beat anyone with that second half performance. All started with their first drive. The dumbass lineman down field penalty took points off the board.

I think the most glaring of it all is Tomlin continuously playing scared. 4th and 5 at the Browns 40 and not going for it was a very dumb move. Ended up punting and only netting 20ish yards. This team is afraid to take chances in every aspect of the game. A coaching staff that is afraid to take any chances on O. Coaches that make chicken little calls in game. And then coaches on D not being able to recognize a team is running the ball at will and throwing 7 yard passes into zone coverages the entire game. It’s like how don’t they see that shit.

Oh, you also can’t go 3 and out 3 times in a row and have the opposing team go on 15 play drives. There isn’t a defense in the league that wouldn’t be exhausted. Understand it’s on them to get off the field as well but damn.

Just hard to have any positive outlook after that second half. They pounded it down our throats on D and then on O, they reverted back to stupid ass play calling and execution.

They have a gauntlet the next 5-6 games. They better pull some wins out because if they don’t, the outside noise will be deafening. If they are sitting at 2-6, 3-5 at the end of it, I would guess there’s about 90% chance either Canada is looking for a new job, or Trubisky is holding a clipboard during games. They simply can’t go the entire year averaging 14 points a game on offense.
You know damn well Canada will be here for the entire season, regardless of what happens.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
You got to do something to scheme pressure on D. Watt not being there is so damn glaring. I don’t think the backups in his spot have gotten within 5 feet of getting a sack.

Reactions: Hockeygod66

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Someone should remind coach jackass about one of his stupid sayings: “we don’t live in our fears. We live in our hopes.”

Dude is living in his fears.

Reactions: Hockeygod66

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Do you have a source with your claim that 1/2 the league doesn't audible?

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
You know damn well Canada will be here for the entire season, regardless of what happens.
I guess that wouldn’t bother me if they end up tanking the season. I don’t want or care to see Canada have any influence over a Pickett led offense.

So if he is going to be here, I pray it’s with a shrinking ship led by Trubisky. Would rather go through a year of pain than him keep his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad