CFL 2024

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I wouldn't change a significant number of on-field personnel if they can help it. 8 of the 11 losses came down to the last possession, most of the wins were more decisive. Player turnover is high and the talent level is low in the league right now. Simply bringing back average but young-ish players that now have 30-40 pro game experience can be enough to swing those close games the other way. A serious beast on the defensive line and a reliable kicker could absolutely turn this roster into a 10 or 11 win team if they get comparable QB play, regardless of who that QB is.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Said it in another thread but man the Elks D is annoying at times. Another awful outing, giving up essentially everything and one TD drive after another allowed against a third string QB that they're making look like Tom Brady. But there they are celebrating and leaping and dancing anytime they make a tackle. "on wow we made a tackle" That they even spend thier practice time doing this choreography is cringe worthy. I'm starting to really dislike the D on the Elks. Sure they make some plays and have some ballers but overall this season they've been crap and far worse than what they should be. Not even one TD from the D either, the only team in league not to get one.

Only one player on special teams worth retaining. Guess which one. The one that got us the W yesterday.

Byproduct of their DC. Was talking to some guys that went to the Winnipeg game and the night before the game some of the coaches were at the bar and apparently Shivers was the first guy there and the last guy to leave. This before what was seen at the time as the most important game of the season and the defense in turn played it's absolute worst game of the season being embarassed on every series.

• Wow
Reactions: Valhallis

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Byproduct of their DC. Was talking to some guys that went to the Winnipeg game and the night before the game some of the coaches were at the bar and apparently Shivers was the first guy there and the last guy to leave. This before what was seen at the time as the most important game of the season and the defense in turn played it's absolute worst game of the season being embarassed on every series.
Wow. Kind of wondered at some of that. Overall some of the coaching staff don't seem to have complete control of the club and Jones struggled with that majorly here but also due to I think some of the harder to coach and manage personalities on the club. Without going into detail Ford is a hard to manage player as well. He wants to do it his way. That doesn't always work so well in Football which requires system and play adherence vs players going off script too much.

Back to the D but I've seen stuff from players even on social media that is kind of iffy in preparation and attitude. The players seem to do their own thing and are an unpredictable bunch. Talent on the field for sure, but the discipline side to be prepared for a game, it doesn't always seem to be there. The latter often interferes with team progress.

Lewis is even on record this week, and was before game that he's "set himself up well for future contracts" he's here as a free agent, not as a real Elk. Its a me first vs team first and far too much of it on the club.

May as well say it. A D that is so easily satisfied at celebrating one play here or there is satisfied at very little. Its an odd look for a D that is 2nd last in league in a lot of categories to be so gung ho in whatever it is that they're celebrating.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That TD celebration is not the “Eskimo Way” but we’re not the Eskimos anymore so I guess it’s the Elks way
Not speaking about TD celebration myself but this D will celebrate any tackle. They've celebrated plays that are opponent first downs...They'd celebrate getting Fries with the big cheeseburger. I'd do a meme about them getting out of bed celebrating.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Not speaking about TD celebration myself but this D will celebrate any tackle. They've celebrated plays that are opponent first downs...They'd celebrate getting Fries with the big cheeseburger. I'd do a meme about them getting out of bed celebrating.
Yeah, I'm fine with TD celebrations though there was one on Friday that looked really dumb in its execution.

Celebrating defensive plays other than sacks or turnovers is dumb just like celebrating a first down achieved on a 7 yard passing play where you needed 6 yards is dumb.

Celebrate the bigger plays for sure, but celebrating routine plays that you are expected to make as a professional has never been something I can get behind.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
If this is true then Jackson should have fired his a$$ the next day. Assuming of course that he wasn't on the bar stool next to him.

Booze dehydrates you and that's the last thing you want when you are playing a team that is as good as the Bombers. You have to be at your peak to beat a club that is so dominant. Taking players along for a booze-a-thon is simply irresponsible.

No wonder the EE's D looked lost on every pattern with this kind of leadership, like they were looking for a Uber in the dark. I hope that this story gets back to LT. He strikes me as a no nonsense type when it comes to performance.

How many bad coaches and assistant coaches has the club suffered thru in the last decade? Little wonder that the Evil Empire is no more.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If this is true then Jackson should have fired his a$$ the next day. Assuming of course that he wasn't on the bar stool next to him.

Booze dehydrates you and that's the last thing you want when you are playing a team that is as good as the Bombers. You have to be at your peak to beat a club that is so dominant.

No wonder the EE's D looked lost on every pattern with this kind of leadership, like they were looking for a Uber in the dark. I hope that this story gets back to LT. He strikes me as a no nonsense type when it comes to performance.

How many bad coaches and assistant coaches has the club suffered thru in the last decade? Little wonder that the Evil Empire is no more.
Well he is a DC, so I'm less concerned about dehydration than just anything that could impact their ability to think quickly and a bad sleep fueled by overconsumption can impact that (I didn't get the impression they thought the players were there, just coaches)

It's been well documented that Jones liked to endulge, so I suspect a lot of his proteges would have typically been the type to join him so I'm pretty sure there were others there but the guys I was speaking with seemed to make the focus on Shivers because he was there the longest.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yeah he's gone. Just please don't go to Calgary, Tre!
He's been indifferent in his comments for some time. Not just recently. I guess he's the Broberg of the Edmonton Elks. I support bro because he left to be making around 10M bucks. At least he had enticement and a reason. Ford will leave us at the alter just to be somewhere else where he can question the next team and coach and manager etc.

Ford is possibly more maintenance than generally acknowledged here. The other day he was saying "I know I'm a player and I hope somebody eventually recognizes that" Without realizing he comes off as questioning overtly. Some will think thats warranted, others won't like it. Its the CFL, you're not bigger than the team. Hardly anybody that ends up here is. Warren Moon. But even he gladly played behind Wilkie and wouldn't say a peep about it.
Now even with Fords statement do you want the player here with the me first attitude which is inherent on some of the players on the club? A very different kind of an answer than say a Draisaitl would give. "I want to play my whole time here and want to be an Oiler and thats all I have to say" why not say that Ford?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well he is a DC, so I'm less concerned about dehydration than just anything that could impact their ability to think quickly and a bad sleep fueled by overconsumption can impact that.

It's been well documented that Jones liked to endulge, so I suspect a lot of his proteges would have typically been the type to join him so I'm pretty sure there were others there but the guys I was speaking with seemed to make the focus on Shivers because he was there the longest.
Yes he's a DC but when he started drinking then he encouraged players to do so as well. I'm sure they followed suit.

Reactions: bone

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Well he is a DC, so I'm less concerned about dehydration than just anything that could impact their ability to think quickly and a bad sleep fueled by overconsumption can impact that (I didn't get the impression they thought the players were there, just coaches)

This explains the red face, red nose kind of look. It looked normal in the chilly Fall games but no so much in mid summer. heh. Seemed to look like a drinker. So many people around football are though.

Mind you if I had to coach the Riders or Elks I'd be drinking much more too. Deserves to be said. ;)

CFL is real hard on coaches. So much player turnover, so much work to do just getting new players straight with the game and rules, so much babysitting of players that aren't really bringing their best here. Really only one coach in the league has a somewhat stable team and seems to enjoy it. Mostly the league is turnstile and the coaching never ends. As a coach here you have to be able to erase as quick as you can. Because the players sure do. Half of them barely care beyond doing enough to keep getting paid.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Yes he's a DC but when he started drinking then he encouraged players to do so as well. I'm sure they followed suit.
Edmonton Drunk Elks. Edmonton Red Nosed Reindeer. So much advertising spin potential.

Its actually a moose but I can't help it and the headline said Elk...

In Sweden they call Elk Moose? who knew?

"Mr Johansson said the elk appeared to be sick, drunk, or "half-stupid", the Associated Press reported."

haha. We have that problem in some of our Elk here.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
This explains the red face, red nose kind of look. It looked normal in the chilly Fall games but no so much in mid summer. heh. Seemed to look like a drinker. So many people around football are though.

Mind you if I had to coach the Riders or Elks I'd be drinking much more too. Deserves to be said. ;)

CFL is real hard on coaches. So much player turnover, so much work to do just getting new players straight with the game and rules, so much babysitting of players that aren't really bringing their best here. Really only one coach in the league has a somewhat stable team and seems to enjoy it. Mostly the league is turnstile and the coaching never ends. As a coach here you have to be able to erase as quick as you can. Because the players sure do. Half of them barely care beyond doing enough to keep getting paid.

Frankly, if it doesn't get in the way with ability to coach the team I don't necessarily care what they do, but I did find it somewhat troubling that a pretty important game day decision maker was out for an extended drinking sessoin the night before their biggest game of the season particularly hearing about it after seeing the results for that game. That said, I doubt they were counting his drinks or anything so maybe he was mixing in a lot of waters, and the bad result was just because Winnipeg is that good (which isn't a ridiculous notion). It is noteworthy though.

Pretty small window for the new President to search and then hire a new GM and then for the GM to do the same for the new coach.
I don't like the message it's sending. We need 6 months to hire a president, but they get less than 20 days to put their guys in place without the ability to see who shakes loose with the playoff teams.

Communicates to me that they may be considering handcuffing the new President by making him keep the current GM and HC. That's really worked well for the last couple guys.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I don't like the message it's sending. We need 6 months to hire a president, but they get less than 20 days to put their guys in place without the ability to see who shakes loose with the playoff teams.

Communicates to me that they may be considering handcuffing the new President by making him keep the current GM and HC. That's really worked well for the last couple guys.
Was thinking the same thing, in that timeframe it's likely bring back the current regime, which likely means Ford is gone, and even worse we get another season of MBT, he of three wins and the inability to come up big in the clutch. Sure hope I'm reading the tea leaves wrong on this.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Pretty small window for the new President to search and then hire a new GM and then for the GM to do the same for the new coach.

Sadly I don't know if the search for GM or coach really needs to be a long one because you could probably count the legitimate candidates on one hand.

For a long time the organization's management was bred internally through staggered, methodical growth and attrition. Pretty much at the same time Maciocia took the reins was when that broke. Ever since it's been a scramble to hire the next best external candidate, which is almost always a retread of someone that's been through about 6 teams at various points and is the only one available with any sort of track record.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad