CFL 2024

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I wouldn't change a significant number of on-field personnel if they can help it. 8 of the 11 losses came down to the last possession, most of the wins were more decisive. Player turnover is high and the talent level is low in the league right now. Simply bringing back average but young-ish players that now have 30-40 pro game experience can be enough to swing those close games the other way. A serious beast on the defensive line and a reliable kicker could absolutely turn this roster into a 10 or 11 win team if they get comparable QB play, regardless of who that QB is.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Said it in another thread but man the Elks D is annoying at times. Another awful outing, giving up essentially everything and one TD drive after another allowed against a third string QB that they're making look like Tom Brady. But there they are celebrating and leaping and dancing anytime they make a tackle. "on wow we made a tackle" That they even spend thier practice time doing this choreography is cringe worthy. I'm starting to really dislike the D on the Elks. Sure they make some plays and have some ballers but overall this season they've been crap and far worse than what they should be. Not even one TD from the D either, the only team in league not to get one.

Only one player on special teams worth retaining. Guess which one. The one that got us the W yesterday.

Byproduct of their DC. Was talking to some guys that went to the Winnipeg game and the night before the game some of the coaches were at the bar and apparently Shivers was the first guy there and the last guy to leave. This before what was seen at the time as the most important game of the season and the defense in turn played it's absolute worst game of the season being embarassed on every series.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Byproduct of their DC. Was talking to some guys that went to the Winnipeg game and the night before the game some of the coaches were at the bar and apparently Shivers was the first guy there and the last guy to leave. This before what was seen at the time as the most important game of the season and the defense in turn played it's absolute worst game of the season being embarassed on every series.
Wow. Kind of wondered at some of that. Overall some of the coaching staff don't seem to have complete control of the club and Jones struggled with that majorly here but also due to I think some of the harder to coach and manage personalities on the club. Without going into detail Ford is a hard to manage player as well. He wants to do it his way. That doesn't always work so well in Football which requires system and play adherence vs players going off script too much.

Back to the D but I've seen stuff from players even on social media that is kind of iffy in preparation and attitude. The players seem to do their own thing and are an unpredictable bunch. Talent on the field for sure, but the discipline side to be prepared for a game, it doesn't always seem to be there. The latter often interferes with team progress.

Lewis is even on record this week, and was before game that he's "set himself up well for future contracts" he's here as a free agent, not as a real Elk. Its a me first vs team first and far too much of it on the club.

May as well say it. A D that is so easily satisfied at celebrating one play here or there is satisfied at very little. Its an odd look for a D that is 2nd last in league in a lot of categories to be so gung ho in whatever it is that they're celebrating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad