CFL 2024

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I guess from the players perspective the Oilers are on at same time so hardly anybody will notice. The bad news is that hardly any fan even knows the Elks are playing tonight. I did but I'm still a diehard apparently. Doubt if they have 7K in the crowd tonight. Nice weather too. As warm as one can expect this time of year.

CFL should probably not have this many bye weeks. Dampens whatever interest there is. A fully meaningless final game of a non playoff club.
Yeah, and I don’t think this 3 teams getting a bye week together is a better way of doing things either. That’s 3 markets forgetting about a forgettable league at the same time. Go back to the old way and where each team gets 2 bye weeks in a season approximately 9 weeks apart.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Yeah, and I don’t think this 3 teams getting a bye week together is a better way of doing things either. That’s 3 markets forgetting about a forgettable league at the same time. Go back to the old way and where each team gets 2 bye weeks in a season approximately 9 weeks apart.

We can spin it many ways, there's almost always going to be a couple of meaningless games at the end of the season, and this isn't a league or sport where you can call up a shiny top prospect to try to garner some interest. It's the same in the NFL late in the season.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
That is some terrible defensive play on that drive

And with a whimper the team ends another pitiful season in front of their fans. Here’s hoping the new owner has the Midas touch next year

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I was watching the Oilers game and didn’t see the first half but this crowd in the second half, at least, looks like it could be the smallest crowd in team history.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Ford's best quarter (and maybe his last) for the EE.

3 TD strikes in the 4th and he looked good after a mediocre 3 quarters. Nice pitch to Leake for a 67 yard TD in the first quarter.

Fitting that Julienne won it in overtime for the EE. He was the biggest star on the year--absolutely outstanding.

I was watching the Oilers game and didn’t see the first half but this crowd in the second half, at least, looks like it could be the smallest crowd in team history.
Very small--maybe a few thousand.

Smart, smart call from Jackson to win that game. Suitor can stop talking now.
I wouldn't have thought of it...yes, very smart call.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
There is reason for optimism next season.

-Julienne is the best EE punter since Hank Ilisec.

-Have to re-sign Lewis and Mitchell at the receiver spot.

-Morgan and Anderson finished 1-2 in CFL tackles this season

-Rankin and Leake (and possibly Brown) make a great trio in the backfield

-Offensive line has been much improved in the 2nd half of the season

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Precisely. Especially in the Fall with hockey back on it just makes you forget about CFL football. League isn't big enough to go up against NHL. Season should probably end in Early October, Grey Cup around Oct 20. Just do away with as many bye weeks as possible and just get the season done. Moving it back to 16 game season would also be good. Not enough ticket buyers to even warrant 9 home games plus preseason games. Jebus hardly anybody in the stands.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
This will be a different offseason. With the new owner, Jones long gone, and likely (hopefully) coaching changes, looking forward to the real new season.
Hope the team can bring back Ford.
Game tix are on the menu next year.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Ford's best quarter (and maybe his last) for the EE.

3 TD strikes in the 4th and he looked good after a mediocre 3 quarters. Nice pitch to Leake for a 67 yard TD in the first quarter.

Fitting that Julienne won it in overtime for the EE. He was the biggest star on the year--absolutely outstanding.

Very small--maybe a few thousand.

I wouldn't have thought of it...yes, very smart call.
I’ve been complaining for years that coaches don’t take advantage of the quirky CFL rules anymore. It’s like none of them understand the Canadian game. I was thrilled as soon as I saw what they were doing.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Ford didn't look like a guy coming back....
Lots of teams will be interested but the EE are on the rebound and they play in NFL caliber facilities. All of the CFL players know that. That will count for something in his decision.

He's from Ontario though so I suppose it will be his preferred destination.

I don't think the Argos laid off him tonight--he was outstanding in the 4th quarter. That running ability is rare.

I haven't seen that side arm stuff since the days of Tom Wilkinson.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I’ve been complaining for years that coaches don’t take advantage of the quirky CFL rules anymore. It’s like none of them understand the Canadian game. I was thrilled as soon as I saw what they were doing.
Of course the idiot TSN commentators got it all wrong. "Oh no I don't know about this, I don't think thats the right call"

jebus we've been getting punts that long all season. No wind and the guy can kick the laces off. It was a better call than trotting a kicker that hasn't had an attempt and looked nervous.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Lots of teams will be interested but the EE are on the rebound and they play in NFL caliber facilities. All of the CFL players know that. That will count for something in his decision.

He's from Ontario though so I suppose it will be his preferred destination.

I don't think the Argos laid off him tonight--he was outstanding in the 4th quarter. That running ability is rare.

I haven't seen that side arm stuff since the days of Tom Wilkinson.
Just of note all of Fords best performances have come in meaningless games against teams just looking at playoff futures. Argos did not dress several starters and rested several more. The give a shit the Argos showed was questionable.

Ford fumbled ball twice, turned ball over on downs twice and what should've been the game with 90secs left. All Argos had to do there is run sometime off clock and they ran 2 and out and failed to do even that. Ford on a third down with game on line throwing the ball flatline directly at a helmet wasn't exactly legend. Argos threw this game away as many times as they could. I don't think they were really into it. They had Polk going and thats about it. Both teams D's were pathetic.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I’ve harped about CFL coaches not taking the rouge seriously as a game tying or game winning option. It should be done more often in situations like this.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
There is reason for optimism next season.

-Julienne is the best EE punter since Hank Ilisec.

-Have to re-sign Lewis and Mitchell at the receiver spot.

-Morgan and Anderson finished 1-2 in CFL tackles this season

-Rankin and Leake (and possibly Brown) make a great trio in the backfield

-Offensive line has been much improved in the 2nd half of the season
The biggest thing for optimism is going into the year without Chris Jones tanking the ship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad