Post-Game Talk: GAME 9 - BRUINS 4 Hogtown 3 F/OT

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
It allows you to keep spare, sharp blades ready. When you lose an edge, you can swap the blade without losing the time it takes to take the skate off and re-sharpen.
Asking only because I really don’t know..

Do players typically get skates sharpened during the game?

Like…what’s more likely?

The blade falls off or it needs to be swapped out during a game?

Reactions: BMC

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Asking only because I really don’t know..

Do players typically get skates sharpened during the game?

Like…what’s more likely?

The blade falls off or it needs to be swapped out during a game?
At the college level and below I’d say players losing an edge happens once a month, and I’ve never seen a blade fall off.

Blades coming off seems to happen more often in the pros and it always seems to happen after a shot block. The pros also have trainers who sharpen the skates before every game so they are probably less likely to lose an edge as well.

Last edited:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
5 pages when they win against a divisional rival and 15 when they lose is funny. It's how it goes around here.

When the Bruins are on their game they are a good team. I don't think they are going to win on skill alone but they are going to be heard to beat, which may just be enough to make the playoffs and push

Need more guys to step up, they still haven't showed their best yet but getting closer
Everyone is an expert at pointing out bad. They actually wait for it to happen so they can try to look smart to people they don’t know.

Reactions: jgatie

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
At the college level and below I’d say players losing an edge happens once a month, and I’ve never seen a blade fall off.

Blades it’s coming off seems to happen more often in the pros and it always seems to happen after a shot block. The pros also have trainers who sharpen the skates before every game so they are probably less likely to lose an edge as well.
I’ve had my skate blade break in half blocking a shot. It happens even in beer league lol.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Which brings me to this….

Sincerely wondering….what is the allure of the detachable skate blade for professionals?

I understand it for beer leaguers so you can keep a pair of skates longer by replacing the blades as they wear down sooner than the boot.

But for pros, who get their stuff for free….why bother?

Seems like only bad things can happen…like with Carlo last night.
Game accident. Comfortable boot. a couple of reason IMO

Reactions: sarge88

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Blades coming off seems to happen more often in the pros and it always seems to happen after a shot block. The pros also have trainers who sharpen the skates before every game so they are probably less likely to lose an edge as well.
One big advantage is that you don't have to miss time during the game to re-sharpen if you lost it (ran into a post, another blade, etc.). With portable sharpeners nowadays its much less a concern (but you still lose time on the bench).
These quick blade swaps are great for minor/youth on road games since most teams don't bring their own portable sharpener. And you never know what kind of an edge the local opposing rink guy will give you (like getting a bad haircut). Having sharp backup blades you never have to worry, even on the road.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
What??

Talk about reaching.

I'm not really following.

The Bruins have been chasing the puck and not getting the puck a lot. Getting the puck is far far far far far from Brazeau's strong point. He is not good at being first to pucks and never will be. He is not good at being someone that can transport the puck from the d-zone to the o-zone. He never will be.

But, he is very good at protecting the puck and doing good stuff with it if other people can get the puck.

When the Bruins can't get the puck and transition the puck and need all the help they can get getting the puck and transitioning the puck, 55 is making it worse.

If the Bruins can get the puck and get it into the o-zone, and get control of it in the o-zone, his game in the o-zone below the dots is very good.

Not sure what is reaching about that. All the reasons he wasn't even an afterthought as a potential NHLer are still true. IF the Bruins can put him in a situation to succeed, he very much can succeed. The Bruins of the first 10 games of the season were not doing that.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'm not really following.

The Bruins have been chasing the puck and not getting the puck a lot. Getting the puck is far far far far far from Brazeau's strong point. He is not good at being first to pucks and never will be. He is not good at being someone that can transport the puck from the d-zone to the o-zone. He never will be.

But, he is very good at protecting the puck and doing good stuff with it if other people can get the puck.

When the Bruins can't get the puck and transition the puck and need all the help they can get getting the puck and transitioning the puck, 55 is making it worse.

If the Bruins can get the puck and get it into the o-zone, and get control of it in the o-zone, his game in the o-zone below the dots is very good.

Not sure what is reaching about that. All the reasons he wasn't even an afterthought as a potential NHLer are still true. IF the Bruins can put him in a situation to succeed, he very much can succeed. The Bruins of the first 10 games of the season were not doing that.
So is he better off with 63\13, 18\13 or even 19\47? Seems like you don't want him
Frederic and if #51 is a C you don't want him with 11\51.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So is he better off with 63\13, 18\13 or even 19\47? Seems like you don't want him
Frederic and if #51 is a C you don't want him with 11\51.

I mean I really think it just speaks to the fact that since 37, 46, and 71 left they seriously lack guys who can drive possession. Those three did it in different ways, but each was able to help the team get from defense to offense and now that is gone from 3 lines (I'm not sure if Lindholm really is a replacement for Bergeron or Krejci in this regards as much as I like the player).

This team just has to defend way too much and eventually the D breaks down in their structure if they can never get the puck back and go play offense. People bemoan how much worse the structure is now, but I'm not so sure it isn't just that they are stuck in their own zone more often. 55 makes that problem worse, despite what he adds that I like a lot. If 13 can play with the intensity he did on Saturday, it helps a lot. Then 55 can use what he is very very good at to help the team keep possession and make the most out of it.

Maybe you try 55 out in the Bertuzzi role and feed him o-zone starts with Pasta and Zacha?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I mean I really think it just speaks to the fact that since 37, 46, and 71 left they seriously lack guys who can drive possession. Those three did it in different ways, but each was able to help the team get from defense to offense and now that is gone from 3 lines (I'm not sure if Lindholm really is a replacement for Bergeron or Krejci in this regards as much as I like the player).

This team just has to defend way too much and eventually the D breaks down in their structure if they can never get the puck back and go play offense. People bemoan how much worse the structure is now, but I'm not so sure it isn't just that they are stuck in their own zone more often. 55 makes that problem worse, despite what he adds that I like a lot. If 13 can play with the intensity he did on Saturday, it helps a lot. Then 55 can use what he is very very good at to help the team keep possession and make the most out of it.

Maybe you try 55 out in the Bertuzzi role and feed him o-zone starts with Pasta and Zacha?
I think they are committed for the next couple of months to Lindholm being with #88 and either Zacha\Marchand.

Reactions: wintersej

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
And 48. As much as he got crapped on (and some of it deserved) the guy could transition from D to O better than anyone on the Bruins blue and a good number of their forwards too. It's been missed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad