OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
You're right, the one constant is the head coach. What isn't mentioned is that for much of that 10 years, the offense was the bright spot and the defense is what let them down. Over the years, their playmakers have moved on due to internal conflict, money, or poor management and the HOF QB has now retired.

Tomlin and Colbert have built a college-level gimmick offense that doesn't win at the line of scrimmage and can't move the ball vertically- heck, Kenny Pickett ran a more pro-style offense down the hall last year at Pitt. The quarterback's first read is either a dump-off to Najee Harris or a timing route on the boundary for 9 yards. This is the same thing that was happening last year, the only time it looked good was when Ben went no-huddle and called his own plays at the line of scrimmage.

I hear lots of people yelling for Canada to be removed but what about the guy who brought him in and is signing off on everything?
Ben Roethlisberger & friends say Hi

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I've got an avatar bet with Bigdaddy

He believes we'll win 10 or more games :huh:
We will win 10 facing jacoby Mayfield Tebow obviously need improvement from Devin B Edmunds muth some good injury luck maybe take a flyer on Gronk. defense should be solid facing tua josh Gordon. get 3 points off Boswells toe this equates to 7 wins at least. using concepts working at all levels of football Mike t will be accountable

Reactions: CoveyMcCoveface

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
The best quarterback this team will ever have?
I think what he’s saying is the reason Canada became the OC is because he was the QB coach and Ben was comfortable with him.

Basically Ben wanted him to give suggestions and if he wanted to follow it cool. If not he was calling his own play at the line.

The moment Ben retired Canada should have been let go. Tomlin is far from blameless in the situation but I won’t put the offense just being toothless on him. That falls squarely in Canada’s lap. I blame Tomlin for the roster construction mainly that horrid O Line.

But Canada should 100% be fired.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I think what he’s saying is the reason Canada became the OC is because he was the QB coach and Ben was comfortable with him.

Basically Ben wanted him to give suggestions and if he wanted to follow it cool. If not he was calling his own play at the line.

The moment Ben retired Canada should have been let go. Tomlin is far from blameless in the situation but I won’t put the offense just being toothless on him. That falls squarely in Canada’s lap. I blame Tomlin for the roster construction mainly that horrid O Line.

But Canada should 100% be fired.
no what I am saying is Big Ben hid Tomlin ineptitude

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
OMG if you believe this, then you are an idiot

"“We’re evolving to that[audibling], too,” Canada said. “[You have] a guy who played 18 years and a guy who just got here with a bunch of young players. We’re slowly building to that. We’re not where we want to be and we’re building to that.”"
Omg over half of the league Oc doesn’t let Qb audible

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm actually quite shocked rewatching some runs. The Line is making lanes and Harris isn't taking them.

I don't want to admit yet that he can't read lanes...BUT
Yeah, this line can't pass protect for shit, but they can run block. He has lanes. It's just a matter of him hitting those holes. Absolutely no run should be going outside tackle right now. Dotson-Cole-Daniels are going a good job.

Part of me hopes this season is a glorious failure so we can put this "never had a losing season" bullshit to rest.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Yeah, this line can't pass protect for shit, but they can run block. He has lanes. It's just a matter of him hitting those holes. Absolutely no run should be going outside tackle right now. Dotson-Cole-Daniels are going a good job.

Part of me hopes this season is a glorious failure so we can put this "never had a losing season" bullshit to rest.
For a line that can’t pass block they sure aren’t giving up any sacks.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Nope - Kaboly said on the fan the other day he was told from one of his most reliable sources that Roth was extremely limited in when he could audible and MT isn't allowed to audible at all. That kind of stupidity from Tomlin even shocked me.

You are arguing in circles because no matter which stance you take, it will lead back to Tomlin's incompetence.

Canada is shitty- "Why did Tomlin keep him around?"
MT blows - "Why did Tomlin predetermine he would be the starter?"

We can play the chicken or the egg, but Tomlin created both.
Mike Tomlin is exhausting and the media makes it worse. I was listening to the fan earlier while they had some Cleveland media guy as a guest. The very first thing out of his mouth is how well-coached the Steelers are, and how great Tomlin is.

Has there ever been a bigger fraud in the NFL than Tomlin? People still defend this guy - it’s the strangest thing ever.

Reactions: Night Shift

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Tonight will be interesting. If the offense looks the same and we sink against a Brissett led Browns team...this will slide into a very bad season for Tomlin.

If he can weasel out a win and get the offense looking average ill be very surprised.

Gotta go with a 17-13 Browns win.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Mike Tomlin is exhausting and the media makes it worse. I was listening to the fan earlier while they had some Cleveland media guy as a guest. The very first thing out of his mouth is how well-coached the Steelers are, and how great Tomlin is.

Has there ever been a bigger fraud in the NFL than Tomlin? People still defend this guy - it’s the strangest thing ever.

A few of us here have a hard time understanding it.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Tomlin is protected by the “Rooney Factor” and that highly skews how people view him.

They don’t look at him as the guy who hasn’t won a playoff game in five years, which has never happened in modern Steelers history - they see a guy who has never had a losing season!

They don’t see a guy who has given up 35+ points in his last four playoff games - they see a smart and clever guy who wows us with “witty” Tomlinisms.

It’s all about perception and a coach protected under the Rooney philosophy of giving a guy a lifetime job safe from accountability.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Nah. There's like 5 QBs better than Big Ben (outside of his 2014 peak) playing right now.

If you assume the NFL goes another 50 years or so it's pretty unlikely that we DON'T end up with someone better, for some period of time.
in 50 years if this team gets another 2 super bowls it would be considered a big success. Ben at his peak was the best in the league in an era that had Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad