OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I find it hilarious when Steelers "fans" try their best to diminish Ben's accomplishments. Mind boggling.
Just stating reality. Guy was a great QB for most of his career. But I think we will have a better one in my lifetime. Because I understand probability.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Mike Tomlin is exhausting and the media makes it worse. I was listening to the fan earlier while they had some Cleveland media guy as a guest. The very first thing out of his mouth is how well-coached the Steelers are, and how great Tomlin is.

Has there ever been a bigger fraud in the NFL than Tomlin? People still defend this guy - it’s the strangest thing ever.

Do you like anything? Cake maybe?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I find it hilarious when Steelers "fans" try their best to diminish Ben's accomplishments. Mind boggling.

No one here is diminishing Ben's accomplishments but in his (and current) era, is a QB driven league. What made Ben special was his size and Physicality unlike the best of the era. He was top 3 (probably #1) the toughest QB in the 2000's.

But I agree here with Doc (**** you Doc btw) he was not better than anyone in that list but he is still HOF, still Best QB is Steeler history and still a franchise QB.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Saying a QB wasn’t THE BEST of his era makes that person not a Steelers fan? I’m almost 40, Steelers are the only NFL team I have ever cheered for over my entire life. I didn’t get hardcore as a fan till my 20’s but I’ve been a fan since I was a kid.

Ben was absolutely not the best QB of his era. Top 5 absolutely. But the best. In an era that had Brady, Rogers, Peyton, Brees? You are being both disingenuous and homerish if you say it’s carved into stone Ben was the best QB of his era in that company.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
@Mr Jiggyfly imagine if Tomlin wasn't born (how I and we wish!!!!) How good Ben's career would have been without that Clown.

He would have been easily in that second tier after the Brady’s of the world if he had a great football mind instead of Tomlin - zero doubts in my mind.

I’ve always said Tomlin was the worst thing to happen to Roth’s career.

Most legendary QBs had a great football mind behind him… Starr/Lombardi, Bradshaw/Noll, Staubach/Landry, Montana/Walsh, Elway/Shanahan, Brady/Hoodie.

Roth needed to be pushed and part of that is on him, but a great coach is suppose to max out a player’s talent.

Is what it is and I never thought I’d see a SB win in my lifetime, so whatever.

Let the Roth mouthbreathers do their thing, it’s what they do.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Tomlin is protected by the “Rooney Factor” and that highly skews how people view him.

They don’t look at him as the guy who hasn’t won a playoff game in five years, which has never happened in modern Steelers history - they see a guy who has never had a losing season!

They don’t see a guy who has given up 35+ points in his last four playoff games - they see a smart and clever guy who wows us with “witty” Tomlinisms.

It’s all about perception and a coach protected under the Rooney philosophy of giving a guy a lifetime job safe from accountability.
@Mr Jiggyfly imagine if Tomlin wasn't born (how I and we wish!!!!) How good Ben's career would have been without that Clown.
How has no one in the national media called him out? His 3 playoff wins over the last, what 12 years, have been against Matt Moore, AJ McCarron and Alex Smith.

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Roth needed to be pushed and part of that is on him, but a great coach is suppose to max out a player’s talent.

I agree with your whole post entirely, I wanted.to highlight this quote.

In the Clown era, Clown took over when Ben was still really young and still in development.. Clown really did a disservice to Bens career.

The whole "Ben is a diva" never would have been "a thing" but this is a reflection on how weak Clown is.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
How has no one in the national media called him out? His 3 playoff wins over the last, what 12 years, have been against Matt Moore, AJ McCarron and Alex Smith.
It's because "hE's NeVeR hAd A lOsInG sEaSoN!#@!".

Also hard to think there isn't an underlying political agenda behind the media's coverage.

For certain coaches, it's taboo to criticize them.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
In those same 3 playoff wins Ben has a combined 3 tds.
Ben limited himself by never evolving from his back yard gunslinger style who hated play action and wasn’t really a guy whose gonna live in the film room.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
In those same 3 playoff wins Ben has a combined 3 tds.
Ben limited himself by never evolving from his back yard gunslinger style who hated play action and wasn’t really a guy whose gonna live in the film room.

Yes, Ben himself came up woefully short in the back half of his career in the playoffs.

His only really good performance was the Jacksonville game in 2018 and even in that game the offense sputtered, and Ben threw an interception in his own red zone to Myles Jack of all people.

Ben was a great regular season QB through till about 2017 though. Consistently excellent.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
It's because "hE's NeVeR hAd A lOsInG sEaSoN!#@!".

Also hard to think there isn't an underlying political agenda behind the media's coverage.

For certain coaches, it's taboo to criticize them.

Oh for certain. In the PC climate we're in today, coaches of color don't get criticized lest the reporter wants to be labeled as a racist.

If Tomlin were white, I feel comfortable saying the national media would characterize him as a Barry Switzer and he'd be the butt of jokes

BUUUT...because the Steelers don't fire coaches, he would unfortunately still be the HC of this team

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Oh for certain. In the PC climate we're in today, coaches of color don't get criticized lest the reporter wants to be labeled as a racist.

If Tomlin were white, I feel comfortable saying the national media would characterize him as a Barry Switzer and he'd be the butt of jokes

BUUUT...because the Steelers don't fire coaches, he would unfortunately still be the HC of this team

Barry Switzer is also a clown. But The thing is, put Barry Switzer on the Steelers for 15 years and tell me that it's different but it's not.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB

Exactly, the infuriating thing is there isn't allowed to be the smallest amount of criticism laid on Tomlin. This makes me dislike him even more than I do for the fact that they haven't even been good for almost 10 years now.

Maybe they brought in Flores to be the HC in waiting but I sincerely hope this isn't another one of the Rooney's diversity hires. The only thing that matters is winning, race has absolutely nothing to do with any of it.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Anti-Tomlin but I think the PC stuff is weird to bring up or go after. Forget the national media talking heads that few take seriously— Tomlin gets his fair share of criticism. Look at this subforum of a hockey prospect board.

Is it just me or...? I have no clue what you are implying other than you're anti Tomlin..which is good because we need more people hating Clown

"Pittsburghers" need to get together to voodoo Clown out of town.

I know.. how dare I say it like this and be corny like that since im originally from Philly (ish).

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Is it just me or...? I have no clue what you are implying other than you're anti Tomlin..which is good because we need more people hating Clown

"Pittsburghers" need to get together to voodoo Clown out of town.

I know.. how dare I say it like this and be corny like that since im originally from Philly (ish).
If you are really looking for an answer: Yes, Its you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad