OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
How has no one in the national media called him out? His 3 playoff wins over the last, what 12 years, have been against Matt Moore, AJ McCarron and Alex Smith.

I don’t have the time to watch all the talking heads and such like I did in my younger days, but I catch YT clips of these shows/listen to talk radio some.

So take this with a grain of salt, but…

My perception is the winds are starting to blow against Tomlin the last couple of seasons, but ya there is still the perception out there he is some legendary coach with multiple SBs and an esteemed playoff record.

When Tomlin took KP I was willing to give him a pass for a little while, because I loved what I saw when I watched KP’s film.

However, Tomlin just can’t help himself from doing stupid shit and it took all of two weeks for me to remember why I dislike him.

I try be fair to the guy, but he continues to show he is inept at his job.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I don’t have the time to watch all the talking heads and such like I did in my younger days, but I catch YT clips of these shows/listen to talk radio some.

So take this with a grain of salt, but…

My perception is the winds are starting to blow against Tomlin the last couple of seasons, but ya there is still the perception out there he is some legendary coach with multiple SBs and an esteemed playoff record.

When Tomlin took KP I was willing to give him a pass for a little while, because I loved what I saw when I watched KP’s film.

However, Tomlin just can’t help himself from doing stupid shit and it took all of two weeks for me to remember why I dislike him.

I try be fair to the guy, but he continues to show he is inept at his job.

The thing is and I've noticed this over the years, failure after failure that people want to Give him a chance after every off season. A long off-season, people forgive and want to be bullish.

But: it's fake, it's fools gold, it's a charade.

By now and after 15 years how many more years do you want to invest?

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Oh for certain. In the PC climate we're in today, coaches of color don't get criticized lest the reporter wants to be labeled as a racist.

If Tomlin were white, I feel comfortable saying the national media would characterize him as a Barry Switzer and he'd be the butt of jokes

BUUUT...because the Steelers don't fire coaches, he would unfortunately still be the HC of this team

It's the job of reporters to criticize a head coach?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm indifferent on Tomlin, I do think his race plays a bit of a role in how he is viewed, but I certainly don't view the Steelers as some amazing organization that he is holding back.

And I think Tomlin could be successful here again and may even win a SB. He's neither great nor terrible, moreso in the middle. His biggest issue in my opinion is hiring inadequate assistants (until Flores).

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I'm indifferent on Tomlin, I do think his race plays a bit of a role in how he is viewed, but I certainly don't view the Steelers as some amazing organization that he is holding back.

And I think Tomlin could be successful here again and may even win a SB. He's neither great nor terrible, moreso in the middle. His biggest issue in my opinion is hiring inadequate assistants (until Flores).

That's bullshit... since I'm already on record saying since I live in Florida now and near Tampa, i also like the Bucs and what Bowles brings. Is Bowles white?

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The thing is and I've noticed this over the years, failure after failure that people want to Give him a chance after every off season. A long off-season, people forgive and want to be bullish.

But: it's fake, it's fools gold, it's a charade.

By now and after 15 years how many more years do you want to invest?

I just try to operate in reality - Tomlin will never be fired and now that Roth is gone, he has an excuse to lose for however long with impunity.

If I had my say he would have been gone 4-5 years ago, but I don’t.

So I just try to hope he figures out one day that he’s not as smart as he thinks he is, and brings in coordinators who aren’t his cronies.

Only hope I see TBTH - but I’m so used to them losing and being an incompetently run team, that instead of getting mad, I get a kind of twisted joy out of watching Tomlin being exposed.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
It's the job of reporters to criticize a head coach?
Reporters and media personnel should call out players, coaches, and management when they underperform or make bad moves, their job is to tell the truth, nothing more, nothing less.

More and more they have become activists and have ulterior motives for their takes and columns. Steelers have plenty of good POC coaches, Teryl Austin, Karl Dunbar seems to be doing good and Darryl Drake was one of the best there ever was.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
@DocEmrickSkitters .. Welp since you are the 2nd one to insinuate I'm a racist..

Hear this. Grew up in PA and a Steelers fan. Migrated to Florida and also like Tampa Bay. Fan of both teams now.. k..

Now you put me in a position to say that ****** it i hope Bowles has his way with Clown in week 6 for your sake... He is 10 times the defensive coordinator clown was,.so.....Clown stands no chance. Out-matched and will be outclassed.

Last edited:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
It really depends on wheee you place Tomlin amongst his peers. Hairball has one more playoff win in the last handful of years. He has the same as Payton. They have had losing seasons. Shanahan has a losing record without Jimmy G.

I could see him going to tv for a year like Payton if he doesn’t get a playoff win before his current deal and landing elsewhere

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Actually Clown really wasn't much of a coordinator in Minnesota, he was just there..

It really depends on wheee you place Tomlin amongst his peers. Hairball has one more playoff win in the last handful of years. He has the same as Payton. They have had losing seasons. Shanahan has a losing record without Jimmy G.

I could see him going to tv for a year like Payton if he doesn’t get a playoff win before his current deal and landing elsewhere

Its Harbaugh.. You can't really criticize that since Harbaugh has Clowns number.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Actually Clown really wasn't much of a coordinator in Minnesota, he was just there..

Its Harbaugh.. You can't really criticize that since Harbaugh has Clowns number.
Interesting since the last time Harbaugh beat Tomlin Mason Rudolph was starting in 2019. They are 1-1 against each other in the playoffs with Flacco beating Ben in 2014 the last time they met

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
That's bullshit... since I'm already on record saying since I live in Florida now and near Tampa, i also like the Bucs and what Bowles brings. Is Bowles white?
Uh, I was implying also the lack of criticism of Tomlin from the national media.

Borderline siding with you.

But now I'm reconsidering as you are kinda a psycho.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Interesting since the last time Harbaugh beat Tomlin Mason Rudolph was starting in 2019. They are 1-1 against each other in the playoffs with Flacco beating Ben in 2014 the last time they met

You're main concern is when the Bucs are gonna smash Trubisky. I hope Pickett isn't starting week 6 for obvious reasons. The Bucs are Physical so I don't want to see Pickett anywhere near that.

Uh, I was implying also the lack of criticism of Tomlin from the national media.

Borderline siding with you.

But now I'm reconsidering as you are kinda a psycho.

I was legit called racist 2 years ago for not liking Tomlin.

No no no i'm Psyco in your mind....because I put you in your place.

But you brought it up.. I didnt.. So....

Last edited:

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
You're main concern is when the Bucs are gonna smash Trubisky. I hope Pickett isn't starting week 6 for obvious reasons. The Bucs are Physical so I don't want to see Pickett anywhere near that.

I was legit called racist 2 years ago for not liking Tomlin.

No no no i'm Psyco in your mind....because I put you in your place.

But you brought it up.. I didnt.. So....
I mean there a good chance Tampa loses its next 3 games. I figured they would go 1-3 in October anyway with the only win the Flores revenge game so not a concern really

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Hey @Mr Jiggyfly ... You were 100% correct that Doc is a troll and I'll back you with that.

Oh good, Jiggles is back ;).

What a guy.

@Night Shift let me break down reading comprehension for you. I think there is some reticence to criticize Tomlin nationally due to Tomlin's aura and his race. "I do think his race plays a bit of a role in how he is viewed." You, clearly viscerally, as someone who often is accused of being a racist - took it as the following.

@DocEmrickSkitters .. Welp since you are the 2nd one to insinuate I'm a racist..

Hear this. Grew up in PA and a Steelers fan. Migrated to Florida and also like Tampa Bay. Fan of both teams now.. k..
Now you put me in a position to say that ****** it i hope Bowles has his way with Clown in week 6 for your sake... He is 10 times the defensive coordinator clown was,.so.....Clown stands no chance. Out-matched and will be outclassed.

Do you think you maybe jumped the gun a bit? And basically imploded into a pile of Meth ramblings?

I'll donate some more stimulus money to you if it makes you feel better.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Oh good, Jiggles is back ;).

What a guy.

@Night Shift let me break down reading comprehension for you. I think there is some reticence to criticize Tomlin nationally due to Tomlin's aura and his race. "I do think his race plays a bit of a role in how he is viewed." You, clearly viscerally, as someone who often is accused of being a racist - took it as the following.

Do you think you maybe jumped the gun a bit? And basically imploded into a pile of Meth ramblings?

I'll donate some more stimulus money to you if it makes you feel better.

At the end of the day. I still would like the Steelers to put together a better staff. I think I speak for most of everyone.

Edit: But that said I'm not taking what I said back, I hope Bowles proves himself that he is the better coach over Clown.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
At the end of the day. I still would like the Steelers to put together a better staff. I think I speak for most of everyone.

Edit: But that said I'm not taking what I said back, I hope Bowles proves himself that he is the better coach over Clown.

Okay. Do you apologize for flying off the handle and misinterpreting what I said? You come down yet?

If so, we're even.

I think Bowles is a better coach than Tomlin. I think many coaches are better than Tomlin. But I don't think Tomlin is the be-all-end-all of the Steelers' mediocrity. The scapegoating on here is just human nature. Internet forums need scapegoats.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Tomlin would be a huge get for a TV Network. I agree that is his next move.

I'm also kind of surprised that no college program has backed up the Brinks truck. I think he would comparatively be better as a college coach, given he'd be an excellent recruiter.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad