OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

No one understands Canada’s ultra complex system - not even Canada. It’s so progressive that it doesn’t allow for audibles.
I am confused.

How is run on every first down, get into second and long and throw into coverage and then have to throw again and come up short and punt ultra complex?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

That's the most sane take I've seen so far.

I've been really happy with the offensive line so far. I think any sort of issues regarding a lack of rushing yards or sacks are more due to Harris or Trubisky than the offensive line. They're doing as well as you can hope they do IMO.

With how they've played so far, I think Moore is the only "weak link" on the offensive line. If the Steelers suck this year and take a LT to anchor the OL, I actually think their OL will be set very well going forward.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
I will say this again.

QB evaluation sucks of late. They prioritize the wrong things. Being able to run and throw a bullet 80 yards is amazing.

But quickly making reads and accuracy are talents that for the most part can't be taught. Just like how the game slows for players like Crosby. Either you have it or you don't. And those who have it are very rare.

KP has it.

MT doesn't.

But again MT is not a below average QB. More an indictment of the quality of NFL QBs than anything else. He is a Neal O'Donnell.

But a lot of teams are going to regret passing on KP.
That's pretty insulting to Neil O'Donnell

Reactions: Night Shift

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

I am confused.

How is run on every first down, get into second and long and throw into coverage and then have to throw again and come up short and punt ultra complex?
Sorry, you’ll have to wait for another 3 years before you can understand.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Sorry, you’ll have to wait for
meredith-grey.gif
another 3 years before you can understand.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You really want him changing plays when he can’t even see the field

So you want him to stick with plays that the defense is ready for?

Makes total sense.

How’s that been working out so far?

Again if he’s too stupid to make audibles, then what is this vet QB nonsense we are being told is the reason dude is STARTING?

Once again, Tomlin gonna Tomlin.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
So you want him to stick with plays that the defense is ready for?

Makes total sense.

How’s that been working out so far?
You do realize 3 straight times the pats showed coverage 0 and bailed out and all 3 times Mitch went directly to the check down didn’t even notice them bailing out.
You do realize that this vet is struggling anything that makes him think and doesn’t trust himself but you want him to audible

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
a8gcfy48v2p91.jpg

Pretty encouraging numbers from the offensive line here. I honestly don't think they've been bad at all.

This team had literally zero chance of winning a championship this year regardless.

This team is in year 1 of a rebuild. They need to suck this year to get the high end talent they need to be great once Pickett takes over.

I'm actually shocked Cole is ranked 20th. When watching Najee, Cole is blowing holes open for him and he literally shuffles off tackle every single time. It's as if running behind Kendrick Green for a season made Najee not look between tackle runs whatsoever.

I'm shocked James Daniels and Chuks are ranked that high. Dan Moore flat out blows. He and Kendrick Green were wasted picks.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You do realize 3 straight times the pats showed coverage 0 and bailed out and all 3 times Mitch went directly to the check down didn’t even notice them bailing out.
You do realize that this vet is struggling anything that makes him think and doesn’t trust himself but you want him to audible

Once again, how is it working out the last 20 games when an OC who has significantly less NFL experience than his QBs, forces them to hold to his shitty calls?

If you answered “the worst Steelers offense in the modern era” you win the Captain Obvious award.

What coach allows a shitty OC to keep running his shitty plays for 20 games and forces his QBs to stay in those plays no matter what?

If you want to hold to your “MT is the worst QB ever” argument - then explain why Tomlin signed him, predetermined he would be the starter and gave us the “vet” spiel.

Hint: The circle of blame will keep going back to Tomlin being Tomlin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The problem with the current discussion is most involved seem to be treating it as if MT being a subpar qb and MC being an awful OC can't both be true.

I think a competent OC would get average play out of Trubisky, but his ceiling is average in the end.

My memory is that fans were excited to see how the offense would look under Canada when he was hired but the hfboards Steelers posters almost immediately decided that he sucks when we saw the offense on the field.

The Steelers as an organization have generally been way behind the times offensively outside of like 2 or 3 years of the killer b's where they had a HOF QB with the best receiver in the NFL and the best RB.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I'm actually shocked Cole is ranked 20th. When watching Najee, Cole is blowing holes open for him and he literally shuffles off tackle every single time. It's as if running behind Kendrick Green for a season made Najee not look between tackle runs whatsoever.

I'm shocked James Daniels and Chuks are ranked that high. Dan Moore flat out blows. He and Kendrick Green were wasted picks.
I'm actually quite shocked rewatching some runs. The Line is making lanes and Harris isn't taking them.

I don't want to admit yet that he can't read lanes...BUT

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I mean, opposing DCs appear to understand it quite well ...
Lol. Very true.

I think opposing defenses treat weeks against the Steelers as bye weeks at this point. Defensive coordinators will start planning beach trips with the guys.

Guys, get ready for run, run, 3 yard pass. Nothing over the middle, nothing down the field over 6 yards.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Once again, how is it working out the last 20 games when an OC who has significantly less NFL experience than his QBs, forces them to hold to his shitty calls?

If you answered “the worst Steelers offense in the modern era” you win the Captain Obvious award.

What coach allows a shitty OC to keep running his shitty plays for 20 games and forces his QBs to stay in those plays no matter what?

If you want to hold to your “MT is the worst QB ever” argument - then explain why Tomlin signed him, predetermined he would be the starter and gave us the “vet” spiel.

Hint: The circle of blame will keep going back to Tomlin being Tomlin.
First off the direct quote was he can’t audible on every play not audible at all. They signed him to be Alex smith and Mitch is putting up Mitch numbers he did in Chicago 180 yards 1 td. He is asked not to lose the game they know he can’t win a game. They signed him because they needed someone in case they couldn’t draft a rookie and him being the best of the available 1st round rejects

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
a8gcfy48v2p91.jpg

Pretty encouraging numbers from the offensive line here. I honestly don't think they've been bad at all.

This team had literally zero chance of winning a championship this year regardless.

This team is in year 1 of a rebuild. They need to suck this year to get the high end talent they need to be great once Pickett takes over.

Those rankings are why I’m fine with them making the switch to Pickett soon. I could understand letting Trubisky deal with a line that gave up constant pressure, but that just hasn’t been the case.

Canada’s offense is bad and I don’t think there’s much debating that, but there are plays available that Trubisky just isn’t making. And the reason seems to be a lack of accuracy, anticipation, and ability to quickly process. Those should be strengths of Pickett. So would the offense look significantly better? Highly doubtful. But could Pickett make some plays that Trubisky isn’t? I would hope so.

I can also understand just leaving Trubisky in to try to get a better pick, but we all know the Steelers think they can compete.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Those rankings are why I’m fine with them making the switch to Pickett soon. I could understand letting Trubisky deal with a line that gave up constant pressure, but that just hasn’t been the case.

Canada’s offense is bad and I don’t think there’s much debating that, but there are plays available that Trubisky just isn’t making. And the reason seems to be a lack of accuracy, anticipation, and ability to quickly process. Those should be strengths of Pickett. So would the offense look significantly better? Highly doubtful. But could Pickett make some plays that Trubisky isn’t? I would hope so.

I can also understand just leaving Trubisky in to try to get a better pick, but we all know the Steelers think they can compete.
I agree with your sentiment but Tomlins made it crystal clear it's Trubiskys team. He's stated it and made him captain so there's zero chance he swallows pride to make any change.

Pickett only plays in injury need or if we are horrifically bad and it's like the last few games of the season.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I agree with your sentiment but Tomlins made it crystal clear it's Trubiskys team. He's stated it and made him captain so there's zero chance he swallows pride to make any change.

Pickett only plays in injury need or if we are horrifically bad and it's like the last few games of the season.

I do think he’ll stick with him longer than he should out of stubbornness, but I think that pride you mentioned will get him to change quarterbacks if the season looks to be going downhill. I don’t think he’ll ever admit it, but he probably loves the never having a losing season stat.

I also thought the captains were a player vote? I could be totally wrong on that though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
First off the direct quote was he can’t audible on every play not audible at all. They signed him to be Alex smith and Mitch is putting up Mitch numbers he did in Chicago 180 yards 1 td. He is asked not to lose the game they know he can’t win a game. They signed him because they needed someone in case they couldn’t draft a rookie and him being the best of the available 1st round rejects

Nope - Kaboly said on the fan the other day he was told from one of his most reliable sources that Roth was extremely limited in when he could audible and MT isn't allowed to audible at all. That kind of stupidity from Tomlin even shocked me.

You are arguing in circles because no matter which stance you take, it will lead back to Tomlin's incompetence.

Canada is shitty- "Why did Tomlin keep him around?"
MT blows - "Why did Tomlin predetermine he would be the starter?"

We can play the chicken or the egg, but Tomlin created both.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Nope - Kaboly said on the fan the other day he was told from one of his most reliable sources that Roth was extremely limited in when he could audible and MT isn't allowed to audible at all. That kind of stupidity from Tomlin even shocked me.

You are arguing in circles because no matter which stance you take, it will lead back to Tomlin's incompetence.

Canada is shitty- "Why did Tomlin keep him around?"
MT blows - "Why did Tomlin predetermine he would be the starter?"

We can play the chicken or the egg, but Tomlin created both.
YES When do people blame Tomlin, He hired Canada, Fichtner, was the defacto DC not Butler, Ran off LeBeau & Arians

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
YES When do people blame Tomlin, He hired Canada, Fichtner, was the defacto DC not Butler, Ran off LeBeau & Arians

If people have a problem with Canada, then I can’t see how they don’t have a problem with Tomlin.

It’s simple common sense where the buck stops.

They no longer have a HOF QB to hide their warts, so having competent coaching matters more than ever right now.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
If people have a problem with Canada, then I can’t see how they don’t have a problem with Tomlin.

It’s simple common sense where the buck stops.

They no longer have a HOF QB to hide their warts, so having competent coaching matters more than ever right now.
People do blame Tomlin...but the people in charge do not. So moot point for us unfortunately. Just have to hope we luck into a good OC soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad