OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

When Cook starts calling out Tomlin and Canada, you know shit has splattered everywhere.

It almost looks as if Trubisky is afraid to throw the deep ball. If he is, it’s because Tomlin and Canada have told him to be super careful with the football. Tomlin said as much publicly after the Cincinnati game: “With downfield throwing comes the potential of negativity and turning the ball over.” He said something similar Sunday after the game: “[The Patriots] are a group that really specializes in minimizing big plays, splash plays defensively. That’s been their calling card.”

This mess is on Tomlin as much as Canada. I can’t even believe some of the dumb shit he says and have to keep telling myself he’s a professional coach.

The offense was most successful last season when Roethlisberger took over the play-calling from Canada in the second half of games and did his own thing.

I’ll leave this here for the Roth haters who refuse to believe the obvious.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Then how do you explain Brian Flores?

The same Flores who has a standing suit against the NFL?
Yea I'm not sure there are a ton of teams right now lining up to employ such a person.

What's Canada gonna do if he audibles? He can't bench him lol.

Tomlin won't allow it. That's his guy so he has some wiggle room if he wanted to stick it to Canada a bit.

I was really hoping Ben would have gone rogue his last season. Could you imagine him hearing the play call, then flipping the bird to Canada in the booth while he runs his own shit the entire game?

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Flores is a better coach than many head coaches in the NFL. I bet the Raiders wouldn't suck so badly with him in McDaniels' position.

The idea that you couldn't do it because of his suit against the league is nonsense. If you are trying to win, that shouldn't be a part of your thinking. Al Davis was at his best when he was giving the league office the finger at every opportunity. Hell, he even sued the NFL.

But NFL owners have their heads up their own asses and will never forgive Flores for attacking the good 'ol boys club that is the NFL.

Reactions: ehill613

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Flores is a better coach than many head coaches in the NFL. I bet the Raiders wouldn't suck so badly with him in McDaniels' position.

The idea that you couldn't do it because of his suit against the league is nonsense. If you are trying to win, that shouldn't be a part of your thinking. Al Davis was at his best when he was giving the league office the finger at every opportunity. Hell, he even sued the NFL.

But NFL owners have their heads up their own asses and will never forgive Flores for attacking the good 'ol boys club that is the NFL.
Which is exactly why he isn’t a threat to be the head coach. It would bring a PR storm the Steelers would never deal with.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Which is exactly why he isn’t a threat to be the head coach. It would bring a PR storm the Steelers would never deal with.

You think they would get bad PR for hiring a coach who is suing the NFL?

By who? Sociopaths? The NFL is as popular as ass cancer as a company. People just like pro football and tolerate the ghouls that run the operation.

Reactions: Peat

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
Ah, the ole “you gotta keep Tomlin because the replacement could be worse!” argument has made an appearance.
Not really… I was literally just asking if people would prefer KK to Tomlin given a choice between the two, since it was amusing to me that AZ (aka “Pittsburgh West”) found a similarly questionable coach…

I think I’m done “adding to the conversation“ here. Enjoy your football and hockey seasons, gentlemen.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If he doesn't make it to the NFL, I think it will be due to a lack of throwing power or injuries. He is very mobile and I think he's good at reading defenses, plus his accuracy when throwing is very good.

The only real knock against Pickett is his arm strength isn't anything special and he's a bit reckless when he runs with the ball. But he has the mobility, vision and accuracy you want out of a QB.

His arm strength isn't really a knock either. He has enough power to push the ball, even in inclement conditions. We've all watched him do it. I don't think anything is wrong with his arm whatsoever. My issues with Pickett over the last 5 years have been when he was behind horrible lines at Pitt and he starts trying to will balls to receivers and he makes horrible decisions. He develops these happy feet and it's really hard to watch, at least for me.

I'm not the biggest Pickett fan. I like him as a leader more than I like him as an actual football player. I think he'll be fine as a starting NFL QB, but I have my hesitations. With that being said, I think he can rally guys, and that may be exactly what the offense needs. Pickett has a followable personality.

The fanbase needs to stop memeing the Najee leader of offense stuff into existence. Reading too much of his press clippings. What we need is a guy to do pass pro, get 2+ yards a clip by falling forward, catch the ball and not fumble. I have every belief that if Najee is coached to just frigging run forward he can do better. Still wouldn't be worth a first rounder, but would be better than Jaylen Warren or Conner.

Beyond the stupidity of drafting a RB in the first round, you have to look at any RB from a mega-program like Alabama with skepticism. An Alabama OL is going to be superior to any defense in college football.

I don't think anyone is memeing anything. I think Tomlin has anointed him as such in everything he has said.

Najee's LT at Bama has been cut twice already.

Trrubisky says he doesn't have the power to call audible on every play, Canada is a clown & must go like Tomlin

Right now they have to pick Canada or Trubisky. I would start with the OC. It seems like the players are on a similar page from everything that has come out.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
This is a good point. I don’t think anyone really expected them to actually compete. So if they lose games because Canada sucks and Trubisky plays poorly, it isn’t the end of the world. Both are replaceable (hopefully in Canada’s case).

If they lose games because the defense implodes, that’s definitely a cause for concern. But I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far from that group.

I’ve even thought the offensive line has shown some baby steps. If a few of those guys can show they can be pieces on the line going forward, that’ll be big.
I thought they’d do better than most others here predicted. With a healthy Watt this is the kind of D that a team could Trent Dilfer into a deep playoff run. Unfortunately, it’s also the kind of offensive line/scheme/QB that a team could set the record for most punt attempts with.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
You think they would get bad PR for hiring a coach who is suing the NFL?

By who? Sociopaths? The NFL is as popular as ass cancer as a company. People just like pro football and tolerate the ghouls that run the operation.

The Flores thing is going to be akin to Colin Kapernick. Most owners won't touch him

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

When Cook starts calling out Tomlin and Canada, you know shit has splattered everywhere.

This mess is on Tomlin as much as Canada. I can’t even believe some of the dumb shit he says and have to keep telling myself he’s a professional coach.
I just wonder when the general public will start to realize it, that he's been an absolute waste for most of his time here.

Not really… I was literally just asking if people would prefer KK to Tomlin given a choice between the two, since it was amusing to me that AZ (aka “Pittsburgh West”) found a similarly questionable coach…

They're not similar at all, how do you even think that? KK was an offensive coordinator who at least has a brain and has added an "NFL" playbook for Kyler Murray. Meanwhile what has Coach Clown added other than getting blown out in the postseason? Don't say SB because it was Lebeau and Arians who led those teams.

Terry Bradshaw doesn't understand what Tomlin brings either, should I repost that video?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is a good one…basically Canada doesn’t have many plays, uses the same ones over and over and the Steelers are very simplistic/conservativ, and Mitch doesn’t get the ball out on time, takes too many sacks…lol…we’re in great hands, boys…

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is a good one…basically Canada doesn’t have many plays, uses the same ones over and over and the Steelers are very simplistic/conservativ, and Mitch doesn’t get the ball out on time, takes too many sacks…lol…we’re in great hands, boys…

Here's the video in tweet form if you want to go through the tweets instead:

If you watch some of those clips, you'll also see more examples of Trubisky just missing wide open receivers. I think the situation right now is that Canada's playbook is incredibly simple and limited, while Trubisky just sucks at identifying open receivers. Trubisky isn't executing Canada's play calls, but Canada's play calls are also easy to counter.

Reactions: Andy99

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
I'm sorry but the Steelers aren't winning any championships with Matt Canada or Mitch Trubisky. The Steelers should have made big changes in the off-season but thought switching Ben for Mitch was the answer.

Time to start over. I've never thought Tomlin was a great coach and his hire of Matt Canada shows how little he knows about offensive football.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I'm sorry but the Steelers aren't winning any championships with Matt Canada or Mitch Trubisky. The Steelers should have made big changes in the off-season but thought switching Ben for Mitch was the answer.

Time to start over. I've never thought Tomlin was a great coach and his hire of Matt Canada shows how little he knows about offensive football.
UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM didn't win anything with Big Ben the last 10 seasons either

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
a8gcfy48v2p91.jpg

Pretty encouraging numbers from the offensive line here. I honestly don't think they've been bad at all.

This team had literally zero chance of winning a championship this year regardless.

This team is in year 1 of a rebuild. They need to suck this year to get the high end talent they need to be great once Pickett takes over.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
a8gcfy48v2p91.jpg

Pretty encouraging numbers from the offensive line here. I honestly don't think they've been bad at all.

This team had literally zero chance of winning a championship this year regardless.

This team is in year 1 of a rebuild. They need to suck this year to get the high end talent they need to be great once Pickett takes over.
Ok I will bite how is this year 1 of the rebuild? Outside of the Qb they rebuilt the offense and the defense is top 5 and they have plenty of cap space to bring everyone they want back.
This season should be finding out if KP is the guy or not

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ok I will bite how is this year 1 of the rebuild? Outside of the Qb they rebuilt the offense and the defense is top 5 and they have plenty of cap space to bring everyone they want back.
This season should be finding out if KP is the guy or not

Because their franchise QB just retired and it takes more than 1 year to get a franchise QB.

There was zero chance of them being good this year unless they traded for someone like Wilson, Watson or Rodgers. And had they done that, they wouldn't have had the cap space to add all of the pieces they added this year, so it's questionable whether they would have been a legitimate contender with that.

The Steelers are building for the next 2-5 years while trying to not be absolute trash this year. This year isn't and had no chance of being a contending year.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Because their franchise QB just retired and it takes more than 1 year to get a franchise QB.

There was zero chance of them being good this year unless they traded for someone like Wilson, Watson or Rodgers. And had they done that, they wouldn't have had the cap space to add all of the pieces they added this year, so it's questionable whether they would have been a legitimate contender with that.

The Steelers are building for the next 2-5 years while trying to not be absolute trash this year. This year isn't and had no chance of being a contending year.
That’s is fair. I agree they weren’t winning a championship but I would’ve been happy with a New England season last year with Mac jones leading them to the playoffs and KP being our guy but without a playoff win it’s a failed season in my eyes. We don’t have the arms in the arms race to win a super bowl but we have provided the blue print on how to beat Buffalo and the ravens I think if healthy we could pull a single upset

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Just to drive home how stupid the Canada offense is…

the Patriots were showing a three-man blitz on the weak side, and Trubisky had to dump the ball to running back Najee Harris for a 2-yard gain rather than take a sack or, worse, fumble.

“I’d like to get into a different play at the line of scrimmage,” Trubisky said. “I’ve seen that look before. I wish I would have got us into a better play at the time.”

Canada said it’s different having a new quarterback with a bunch of young players as opposed to having Ben Roethlisberger at quarterback, though Roethlisberger was restricted in how much he could audible, too. However, Roethlisberger would dump those restrictions when he got to the fourth quarter and needed to score points in seven of their comeback victories.

Why exactly are they playing the veteran QB if he can’t be trusted to change plays?

Oh wait, they didn’t trust their HOF QB to do that much either - so he just did his own thing and then the offense could suddenly move the ball.

I’m far from a MT fan, but it’s pretty comical that he has way more NFL experience than the shitty and green OC, but he can’t audible.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Why exactly are they playing the veteran QB if he can’t be trusted to change plays?

Oh wait, they didn’t trust their HOF QB to do that much either - so he just did his own thing and then the offense could suddenly move the ball.

I’m far from a MT fan, but it’s pretty comical that he has way more NFL experience than the shitty and green OC, but he can’t audible.
No one understands Canada’s ultra complex system - not even Canada. It’s so progressive that it doesn’t allow for audibles.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

You really want him changing plays when he can’t even see the field

Reactions: Empoleon8771
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad