OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think you have the cart before the horse. I think the coaches are pushing conservative reads on Trubisky.

Although maybe I shouldn't be saying coaches plural if that's what Tomlin has to say about Canada.

I just can't agree here. I think what we've seen from Trubisky so far is exactly what he has been his entire career. Trubisky's flaws are pretty well established based on his time in Chicago, and his issues here are basically the same exact issues he had in Chicago.

I would be willing to bet that you're correct about the coaches implementing a conservative passing attack, but I'm more confident that Trubisky just isn't good because he's basically never been good in the NFL and is showing the same problems that he had in Chicago.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Almost regardless of Trubisky's reads, there is zero excuse for why he isn't scampering more often. Including on the first possession. His calling card needs to be his mobility. Run, you coward.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Agree that Mitch basically has to run a two-minute offense all the time (or a lot more than just the last two minutes) to be successful. That puts a lot of stress on everyone else so I’m not sure it’s feasible….that’s why Pickett needs to be in there lol
once you find something that's works, you then have something to play off of. right now we have nothing that works.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I just can't agree here. I think what we've seen from Trubisky so far is exactly what he has been his entire career. Trubisky's flaws are pretty well established based on his time in Chicago, and his issues here are basically the same exact issues he had in Chicago.

I would be willing to bet that you're correct about the coaches implementing a conservative passing attack, but I'm more confident that Trubisky just isn't good because he's basically never been good in the NFL and is showing the same problems that he had in Chicago.

If this is who Trubisky is, what does it say about the coaches who decided to sign and start him?

I'm not a big believer in Trubisky. I don't think sunny days are around the corner for him if they just give him a real shot.

But I am far more sure that Canada's directions are a far bigger problem and don't think what he was part of choosing should be a defence for him.

Reactions: Pens1566 and td_ice

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Starks Essex and Foster are blaming Najaee but they could be covering for the o line. They say he doesn’t hit the hole and runs up his o line back. Definitely looked better after Warren played well yesterday

I noticed a different Harris later in the game too. Warren came in and made some hay. Once that happened it appeared Harris stopped messing around and hit the hole more quickly. Hopefully it's a start, but he definitely has some work to do on his vision and decisiveness

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Rusher coming in unblocked so he went quick. Also, a S over the top of Muth anyway if he'd even got that far in the progressions.

I wouldn't call that screen cap an indictment of MT as much as it's being made out to be.

Yea this still isn't some sort of smoking gun. The ball is already leaving his hand and the defenders have reacted to that. I'd need to see the full clip before skewering MT.

1. As you pointed out, there's a free rusher. How do we know Harris wasn't supposed to chip this guy?
2. As mentioned above, the defenders in that picture are already moved bc the ball is going to that side of the field. Whoever drew that circle is an idiot to freeze it at that time bc that's not the throwing window. And even if it WAS, MT has to throw it over 91, the other defender standing on the blue line and in front of #32.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
If this is who Trubisky is, what does it say about the coaches who decided to sign and start him?

I'm not a big believer in Trubisky. I don't think sunny days are around the corner for him if they just give him a real shot.

But I am far more sure that Canada's directions are a far bigger problem and don't think what he was part of choosing should be a defence for him.

Thank you.
We knew MT was going to start in March when we signed him, regardless of some faux pre-season competition. Canada and Tomlin signed off on him.

I'm on record here and I'll repeat it: the 2022 offense is going to look exactly the same as last year except they won't have Ben around to try and do his late game heroics.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just saw this clip and it made me laugh:

ullspeed.gif

Trubisky has been doing this ever since he came into the NFL.

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

ullspeed.gif

This is a good example of how hard it is to play QB in this league. MT actually recognizes pressure/threats, but he panics and gets spazzoid then misses his reads. Also, all QB's have a limited window where guys are open. Once that timeframe passes that receiver is null

I would have preferred the pic where they kept showing that girl in the black steelers tank top and white shorts on the TV broadcast lol

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'll let others make comments on this.

ullspeed.gif

I had completely forgot about that.

I was hoping that Mitch was a better QB after sitting behind Allen for a year, but his vision is really atrocious. He has missed Pickens 3 times by my count where Pickens probably gets 40-70 yards on the play.

It sucks because it would be so nice for him to do well and both let Pickett be eased in there along with maybe getting a pick or two for him, but this is just a disaster at this point.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'll let others make comments on this.

I had completely forgot about that.

I was hoping that Mitch was a better QB after sitting behind Allen for a year, but his vision is really atrocious. He has missed Pickens 3 times by my count where Pickens probably gets 40-70 yards on the play.

It sucks because it would be so nice for him to do well and both let Pickett be eased in there along with maybe getting a pick or two for him, but this is just a disaster at this point.

As I have said, bad line or not, the Steelers are amazingly unproductive when the ball finds its way to Najee Harris. Some of us have been questioning his decision-making since the jump.

I don't think it is a coincidence that he looked more assertive once Warren showed him up.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
As I have said, bad line or not, the Steelers are amazingly unproductive when the ball finds its way to Najee Harris. Some of us have been questioning his decision-making since the jump.

I don't think it is a coincidence that he looked more assertive once Warren showed him up.

He needs to go back to basics. I do know from watching that video, 61 is getting Najee holes. I just think this offense is a horrible fit for Najee. They need a shiftier RB.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I will say this again.

QB evaluation sucks of late. They prioritize the wrong things. Being able to run and throw a bullet 80 yards is amazing.

But quickly making reads and accuracy are talents that for the most part can't be taught. Just like how the game slows for players like Crosby. Either you have it or you don't. And those who have it are very rare.

KP has it.

MT doesn't.

But again MT is not a below average QB. More an indictment of the quality of NFL QBs than anything else. He is a Neal O'Donnell.

But a lot of teams are going to regret passing on KP.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I will say this again.

QB evaluation sucks of late. They prioritize the wrong things. Being able to run and throw a bullet 80 yards is amazing.

But quickly making reads and accuracy are talents that for the most part can't be taught. Just like how the game slows for players like Crosby. Either you have it or you don't. And those who have it are very rare.

KP has it.

MT doesn't.

But again MT is not a below average QB. More an indictment of the quality of NFL QBs than anything else. He is a Neal O'Donnell.

But a lot of teams are going to regret passing on KP.

Does KP have it though? Because I watched him at Pitt and until his senior and super senior year, he didn't have it. That's my fear throwing him in there. Those horrible habits come back because he has no time to throw.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Does KP have it though? Because I watched him at Pitt and until his senior and super senior year, he didn't have it. That's my fear throwing him in there. Those horrible habits come back because he has no time to throw.
I believe so. However, yes he will need to prove it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The way things are shaking up, KP just has to be average and that will be a massive leap in improvement.
Just like everything else this season I care more about developing the young talent on this team and getting a read on who is the real deal and who is not.

I don't care about the results on the field overly much. I care about seeing what we have in Pickett if he gets to play. And seeing growth and development.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad