OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Canada should be gone, but who calls the plays once we send him packing? Is there a team out there with less qualified offensive coaches than the Steelers?

This has been a huge issue for the team during Tomlin’s crappy career. His “coaching tree” is basically a dead bush. It’s amazing to see how small of an impact he’s had around the league with developing and hiring quality coaches when you look at how long he’s been here.
Yeah New England has less qualified offensive coaches

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Offense stinks. QB is calling out the coach. Time for the organization to pick a side. If KP is indeed the QB odbthe future, you gotta find out now if he’s going to work with the OC because, if not, the OC is going to have to be replaced.

Personally, I think Canada is a worse OC than Mitch is a QB, but it’s not getting anyone anywhere to continue with the current arrangement.

Fire Canada or play Pickett. (Or, hell, both - but one or the other for sure.) Now.

I see zero chance KP starts on a short week.

Browns just made Flacco look like a HOFer, so maybe MT and Canada can maybe kind of do something here.

The rush defense isn't even the biggest fix the defense needs. The second the d faces a good passing attack without Watt they are going to get torched because they just cannot get pressure.

The o line is without a doubt the worst aspect of this team despite stiff competition.

They did better in pass protection yesterday, imo. The run blocking is still a total disaster.

Steelers signed two guys in FA whose strength was run blocking and the results are still ass.

I find it curious, but having a shitty OC designing plays and constantly bringing in new O-line coaches every season certainly isn’t helping.

It all boils down to a simple issue. Tomlin is committed to MT and doubled down making him captain. Unless injured he's the QB until maybe the last few games of the year when we are out of the playoffs.

He's not going to make a move that looks bad on him...ironically but that's the short of it.

It's actually pretty funny that a sub par QB is calling him out...not like MT has much of a leg to stand on but I appreciate the honesty.

It's just unfortunate that our team won't be better until we get a new OC and hopefully Pickett is a better QB to lead this team.

I don’t think MT cares about playing the good soldier when he smells his career going up in smoke.

This is both Roth and MT calling out Canada now.

MT said guys in the huddle wanted to call different plays - so that tells me they have zero confidence in what Canada is calling.

Canada has zero experience at the NFL level and it shows. He also failed hard in college.

So I have no clue why Tomlin feels this guy needs to be kept around. He did the same shit with Fichtner.

It’s bizarre and Tomlin really needs to stop this internal promotion BS and actually go outside the org for talented help.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I don’t think MT cares about playing the good soldier when he smells his career going up in smoke.

MT said guys in the huddle wanted to call different plays - so that tells me they have zero confidence in what Canada is calling.

Canada has zero experience at the NFL level and it shows. He also failed hard in college.

So I have no clue why Tomlin feels this guy needs to be kept around. He did the same shit with Fichtner.

It’s bizarre and Tomlin really needs to stop this internal promotion BS and actually go outside the org for talented help.

It doesn't matter what OC is brought in- Tomlin wants the same philosophy. I don't quite understand why this hasn't sunk in with anyone yet.

They played "ball control" when we had the Killer B's in 2015/2016. The difference is that the talent made the playcalling look better than it was.

When the offensive talent started to deteriorate (along with Ben) the offense started to look worse. Now you got maybe 1 person on offense that would start for another team and you've got some major issues.

Name the best OC you can think of. Andy Reid? Chan Gailey? Norv Turner? All would be neutered by Tomlin's philosophy. Because guess what? Tomlin signs off on the game plan...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It doesn't matter what OC is brought in- Tomlin wants the same philosophy. I don't quite understand why this hasn't sunk in with anyone yet.

They played "ball control" when we had the Killer B's in 2015/2016. The difference is that the talent made the playcalling look better than it was.

When the offensive talent started to deteriorate (along with Ben) the offense started to look worse. Now you got maybe 1 person on offense that would start for another team and you've got some major issues.

Name the best OC you can think of. Andy Reid? Chan Gailey? Norv Turner? All would be neutered by Tomlin's philosophy. Because guess what? Tomlin signs off on the game plan...

He’s never struck me as a Cowher conservative three yards and a cloud of dust type of guy.

If he was I could at least understand this, but he really isn’t, which makes this all the more disturbing IMHO.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I see zero chance KP starts on a short week.

Browns just made Flacco look like a HOFer, so maybe MT and Canada can maybe kind of do something here.

Steelers signed two guys in FA whose strength was run blocking and the results are still ass.

I find it curious, but having a shitty OC designing plays and constantly bringing in new O-line coaches every season certainly isn’t helping.

I don't understand that either. Just go get a guy that's been an offensive mind around this league...it's not that hard.

But we have to wait until the end of next year right? Cause Canada's system needs 3 years. If nothing else he's a sheer genius for convincing the team of that.

If I'm a coach I talk about how complex I am and that I need 5 years to grow my plans. Job security people!

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
He’s never struck me as a Cowher conservative three yards and a cloud of dust type of guy.

If he was I could at least understand this, but he really isn’t, which makes this all the more disturbing IMHO.
To quote Tomlin himself "you are what you put on tape"

Tomlin's offenses in the past decade mirror this conservatism. They wanted to tone Ben's exposure down by having him take less shots downfield/QB hits. That's why Arians was canned...oh sorry "retired" lol

Enter Haley and it's been this super conservative, don't turn the ball over philosophy ever since.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't understand that either. Just go get a guy that's been an offensive mind around this league...it's not that hard.

But we have to wait until the end of next year right? Cause Canada's system needs 3 years. If nothing else he's a sheer genius for convincing the team of that.

If I'm a coach I talk about how complex I am and that I need 5 years to grow my plans. Job security people!

It’s again bizarre that he would tap some dude that got fired two years in a row in college, and has zero NFL experience.

There is so much talent out there he could bring in to coach his offense - I once believed he wanted to be the smartest guy in the room so he kept hiring internal cronies.

But he brought in Flores… so this whole Canada situation is becoming really bizarre to me.

It shouldn’t take years to get an offense going, like who buys into that BS?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

My thought continues to be that Tomlin doesn't want a hotshot OC because it threatens his job security.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
It’s again bizarre that he would tap some dude that got fired two years in a row in college, and has zero NFL experience.

There is so much talent out there he could bring in to coach his offense - I once believed he wanted to be the smartest guy in the room so he kept hiring internal cronies.

But he brought in Flores… so this whole Canada situation is becoming really bizarre to me.

It shouldn’t take years to get an offense going, like who buys into that BS?
My thought continues to be that Tomlin doesn't want a hotshot OC because it threatens his job security.
Right, I was suprised with Flores coming in as he's a legit great mind for Defense...

If anything he should be worried about him taking his spot more than a good OC but that makes some sense.

Reactions: domaug

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I don’t know why Tomlin would worry about someone coming in and taking his job. Unless something changes drastically with how the Steelers operate, he pretty much has a lifetime contract.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I don’t know why Tomlin would worry about someone coming in and taking his job. Unless something changes drastically with how the Steelers operate, he pretty much has a lifetime contract.
He does have a near lock unless there's a candidate that makes sense to supplant him. I'm not trying to get political or say right or wrong here...but again the Rooney's are instrumental in having minority coaches in the NFL. While this is a great thing it also makes the Steelers decision making much more difficult.

Tomlin would need to nose dive horrifically. Say he goes 4-13 this year. Flores who's going to be a head coach somewhere is a silver lining with our defense. He would be someone that could take over.

The line is thin to walk for us. And likely Tomlin continues doing just enough to not be fired justifiably.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Right, I was suprised with Flores coming in as he's a legit great mind for Defense...

If anything he should be worried about him taking his spot more than a good OC but that makes some sense.

This is why I’m not a Tomlin fan, he keeps making the same dumb ass mistakes over and over.

He’s arrogant because of his unique position of working for Rooney and not being held accountable.

Hiring internally keeps blowing up in his face, but he keeps on keeping on.

We are 20 games into the Canada nightmare and it isn’t even really showing signs of getting better.

I’d argue the O has gotten worse than last season, because now Roth isn’t around to call his own plays and get Canada out of the shit sandwich he makes every Sunday.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Tomlin would need to nose dive horrifically. Say he goes 4-13 this year. Flores who's going to be a head coach somewhere is a silver lining with our defense. He would be someone that could take over.

Even if the Steelers go 4-13 there is zero chance Tomlin will be fired. The Steelers stuck by Cowher when he went 7-9, 6-10, 9-7 in the late 90's, missing the playoffs and they were 6-10 in 2003.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I think Mitch coule have been something decent if he got drafted into the right situation.

The way he gets nervous in the pocket is very much like college Mahomes. The difference is Mahomes went to a top-tier organization with an offensive genius for a coach and Mitch got drafted by a team that hasn't had a serviceable qb since before I was born.

He has extreme David Carr syndrome. He is so shell shocked that he is feeling pressure and throwing off of his back foot even when there is no reason for it.

It is too late to be fixed and the Steelers aren't the organization to do it anyway imo.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
+ Steelers defense played well despite no Watt. Didn't like their simplified approach, which contributed to the zero sack total, but they didn't give up many points (hard to fault them on a 10 yd drive off of a turnover). Sucked seeing them run over at the end, but when your offense goes 3 & out for an entire quarter you get tired.

- This is the worst-looking Steelers offense I have ever seen. And it's not as if they are getting run over or blanketed. Just horrendously out-coached and with a slow-to-process QB. It's like watching an AHL player overwhelmed with the speed of an NHL game. Except worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad