OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
A guy who can not read defenses constantly Ba is out and throwing off his back foot isn’t a good back up. This is exactly who is was in Chicago. He stares down wr like a high school QB. In Chicago he was a front foot thrower at best Alex smith whose arm talent maxed out at 20 yard throws.

He was ranked 30 among 32 starters yes he is

I was one of the posters firmly agt the MT signing, so I’m not going to spend much time defending him.

However, if he’s being ranked this poorly and proving the rankings are justified, then it’s clear Tomlin f***ed up not only signing him, but anointing him the starter in March.

So Tomlin f***ed up hard handing the 30th worst QB in the league a starting job, or he f***ed up not firing Canada.

Either which way, Tomlin f***ed up (again).

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I was one of the posters firmly agt the MT signing, so I’m not going to spend much time defending him.

However, if he’s being ranked this poorly and proving the rankings are justified, then it’s clear Tomlin f***ed up not only signing him, but anointing him the starter in March.

So Tomlin f***ed up hard handing the 30th worst QB in the league a starting job, or he f***ed up not firing Canada.

This was an organization idea to bring him not just Tomlin. He was a day one FA that chose us over the giants probably because Tomlin guaranteed he would start no matter what. He was outplayed by both the guys in in camp but it wasn’t a true competition

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
This was an organization idea to bring him not just Tomlin. He was a day one FA that chose us over the giants probably because Tomlin guaranteed he would start no matter what. He was outplayed by both the guys in in camp but it wasn’t a true competition

So I put this into Google translator and it spit out “Tomlin f***ed up” (again).

It’s ok to admit it.

Reactions: Pens x

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The entire Steelers strategy with the QB position has been moronic. I totally support drafting Pickett because I think Pickett is going to be legit. But why would you sign a shitty starter who won't work with the flaws of the team to play above him? That's just an obvious source of drama that was inevitable to happen.

If they drafted Pickett to sit behind Ben, that would have been an awesome scenario (outside of Ben likely whining about it). Or if they would have started Pickett with Trubisky being insurance for him, that would have also been fine. But sitting the local star Pickett behind an obviously failed starter in Trubisky is just going to cause drama among fans.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The entire Steelers strategy with the QB position has been moronic. I totally support drafting Pickett because I think Pickett is going to be legit. But why would you sign a shitty starter who won't work with the flaws of the team to play above him? That's just an obvious source of drama that was inevitable to happen.

If they drafted Pickett to sit behind Ben, that would have been an awesome scenario (outside of Ben likely whining about it). Or if they would have started Pickett with Trubisky being insurance for him, that would have also been fine. But sitting the local star Pickett behind an obviously failed starter in Trubisky is just going to cause drama among fans.

Maybe if free agency happened after the draft, things would have played out differently. There was no guarantee that Pickett would fall to 20. It looked like he wouldn’t.

Then you’re stuck with Rudolph and one of the other guys in the draft who probably isn’t ready to start.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maybe if free agency happened after the draft, things would have played out differently. There was no guarantee that Pickett would fall to 20. It looked like he wouldn’t.

Then you’re stuck with Rudolph and one of the other guys in the draft who probably isn’t ready to start.

They should have named Pickett the starter after drafting him and held Trubisky as insurance then, instead of gifting Trubisky the starter's role when he didn't really do anything to get it.

I don't mind the Trubisky signing, but as soon as they drafted Pickett, they needed to make it an open competition for the starter while being open to replacing one guy with the other. That never happened, they named Trubisky the starter before even taking a training camp snap with the team.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
0-5 without Watt…yikes
i don’t see how this team wins 5 games this season unless Canada is fired and Pickett starts…so, in other words, this is almost the season…lol…don’t get invested, folks

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

This is why you shouldn’t predetermine a successor QB battle in March.

Now two games in your starting Qb you shouldn’t have signed is calling out the OC you should have fired.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Offense stinks. QB is calling out the coach. Time for the organization to pick a side. If KP is indeed the QB of the future, you gotta find out now if he’s going to work with the OC because, if not, the OC is going to have to be replaced.

Personally, I think Canada is a worse OC than Mitch is a QB, but it’s not getting anyone anywhere to continue with the current arrangement.

Fire Canada or play Pickett. (Or, hell, both - but one or the other for sure.) Now.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The reporters are all saying this btw…they seem to think Canada looks better than the QB when you have the tape or are there in person than the way we watch the game…

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
They should have named Pickett the starter after drafting him and held Trubisky as insurance then, instead of gifting Trubisky the starter's role when he didn't really do anything to get it.

I don't mind the Trubisky signing, but as soon as they drafted Pickett, they needed to make it an open competition for the starter while being open to replacing one guy with the other. That never happened, they named Trubisky the starter before even taking a training camp snap with the team.

It’s a tough situation. I would have liked to see more of a competition for sure, but at the end of the day, I’m fine with Trubisky starting the season. I truly hope the leash is short with him though.

Replacing Trubisky with Pickett isn’t a big deal. A situation where Pickett starts, struggles, and is replaced by Trubisky (who goes on to struggle like he has) would have been a shit show. Whenever Pickett gets in, I imagine it’ll be for good and he won’t have the threat of being replaced looming over him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The reporters are all saying this btw…they seem to think Canada looks better than the QB when you have the tape or are there in person than the way we watch the game…

I mean yeah, I totally buy that. You could watch the game and see how many open receivers Trubisky missed. It's why I have the agnostic opinion regarding Canada, we just truly don't know how good or bad his playcalling is just because Trubisky is doing such a bad job at executing.

It’s a tough situation. I would have liked to see more of a competition for sure, but at the end of the day, I’m fine with Trubisky starting the season. I truly hope the leash is short with him though.

Replacing Trubisky with Pickett isn’t a big deal. A situation where Pickett starts, struggles, and is replaced by Trubisky (who goes on to struggle like he has) would have been a shit show. Whenever Pickett gets in, I imagine it’ll be for good and he won’t have the threat of being replaced looming over him.

I have the stance that this Steelers team isn't good and they need to suck to get the OL help that they need to become better, so I'm actually fine with Trubisky starting. But that basically translates to "I'm fine with Trubisky starting because the team will lose with him starting".

If this team was focused on winning this year, they should have held an open competition for the starter's role instead of naming Trubisky the starter before camp even opened.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I mean yeah, I totally buy that. You could watch the game and see how many open receivers Trubisky missed. It's why I have the agnostic opinion regarding Canada, we just truly don't know how good or bad his playcalling is just because Trubisky is doing such a bad job at executing.

I have the stance that this Steelers team isn't good and they need to suck to get the OL help that they need to become better, so I'm actually fine with Trubisky starting. But that basically translates to "I'm fine with Trubisky starting because the team will lose with him starting".

If this team was focused on winning this year, they should have held an open competition for the starter's role instead of naming Trubisky the starter before camp even opened.
I was just going to write similar.

This ain't a Superbowl contender.

So the arguments are simply rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic as it is heading down.

My criticism is not to make this team a contender. That isn't happening with this offensive line. And that line isn't going to be fixed until the off-season if not the next couple of off-seasons.

No, my carping is that Canada is so bad that it makes it nearly impossible to get a real evaluation of the young players we have. Starting with MT and going from there. On top of that he is going to get Harris killed. He might be out of the league in two years if this keeps up. I have never seen a back take so many shots to gain 3 yards a carry.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I was just going to write similar.

This ain't a Superbowl contender.

So the arguments are simply rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic as it is heading down.

My criticism is not to make this team a contender. That isn't happening with this offensive line. And that line isn't going to be fixed until the off-season if not the next couple of off-seasons.

No, my carping is that Canada is so bad that it makes it nearly impossible to get a real evaluation of the young players we have. Starting with MT and going from there. On top of that he is going to get Harris killed. He might be out of the league in two years if this keeps up. I have never seen a back take so many shots to gain 3 yards a carry.
MT is still the same guy he was in Chicago he isn’t young anymore they not need a real evaluation of him. Foster has pointed out some of the running issues are on Harris for running up his o lines back.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't want Pickett playing behind this line. I watched him play behind shit lines at Pitt - the results weren't good and he develops horrible habits that took nearly 4 years to break. Let him sit, and let Mitch get pummeled. Hopefully we can lose enough to land some OL help.

And right now I prefer Warren running the ball over Najee. Najee needs to go way more N-S with his runs rather than this stutter step bullshit. You're 250. Run with your pads going forward.

I'm also torn on what needs fixed more - the run defense, or the OL. When Cam's game starts to fade, we are f***ed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
The rush defense isn't even the biggest fix the defense needs. The second the d faces a good passing attack without Watt they are going to get torched because they just cannot get pressure.

The o line is without a doubt the worst aspect of this team despite stiff competition.

They did better in pass protection yesterday, imo. The run blocking is still a total disaster.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Folks, we still need to give Canada this season and next before his super complex system has enough time to be effective. This is part of the process. Everything is going as planned.

This offense will look like the greatest show on turf Rams teams of the early 2000’s under the leadership of the great Matt Canada.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Thought I bet on Ravens, Steelers, Browns, Bengals as the division order. Turns out I did Ravens, Steelers, Bengals, Browns.

Whoops

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
Its only two games but i thought the bengals were said to have improved their line this offseason? Burrow had another game where he was sacked like 5 times. Theyre gonna get that kid killed.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
Pickett is ready to play and the future. He should be starting next game. Don’t live in your fears. Be a man Tomlin.

Reactions: Andy99

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Pickett is ready to play and the future. He should be starting next game. Don’t live in your fears. Be a man Tomlin.
It all boils down to a simple issue. Tomlin is committed to MT and doubled down making him captain. Unless injured he's the QB until maybe the last few games of the year when we are out of the playoffs.

He's not going to make a move that looks bad on him...ironically but that's the short of it.

This is why you shouldn’t predetermine a successor QB battle in March.

Now two games in your starting Qb you shouldn’t have signed is calling out the OC you should have fired.
It's actually pretty funny that a sub par QB is calling him out...not like MT has much of a leg to stand on but I appreciate the honesty.

It's just unfortunate that our team won't be better until we get a new OC and hopefully Pickett is a better QB to lead this team.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Canada should be gone, but who calls the plays once we send him packing? Is there a team out there with less qualified offensive coaches than the Steelers?

This has been a huge issue for the team during Tomlin’s crappy career. His “coaching tree” is basically a dead bush. It’s amazing to see how small of an impact he’s had around the league with developing and hiring quality coaches when you look at how long he’s been here.

Reactions: Pengwins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad