OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Caught this on replay - season is basically going how I thought it would, but it didn’t take much foresight to know bad OC + MT= shitty O.

Anyone not convinced after 20 games Canada is a bad OC?

The Tomlin quote about the lack of deep passes has to be one of the most idiotic things any coach has ever said - that has to be a misquote.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I mean, how many more shots does Mitch get in the league? Go down swinging. Someone needs to call out our garbage coaching - god forbid the local media does.
This is the same guy who wanted to come here because of Canada offense and chose it over going to New York with his former OC

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Caught this on replay - season is basically going how I thought it would, but it didn’t take much foresight to know bad OC + MT= shitty O.

Anyone not convinced after 20 games Canada is a bad OC?

The Tomlin quote about the lack of deep passes has to be one of the most idiotic things any coach has ever said - that has to be a misquote.

I'd like to see him have a QB who can both move while also identifying open receivers before I make any definitive claims with him. This isn't me defending Canada, it's just me saying I don't think we have all of the information we need. Last year, they had an immobile statue at QB. This year, they have a spazz with no football IQ at QB.

I'd like to see how Canada's offense works with Pickett under center, because I think he has both the mobility and football IQ that this team needs. If it fails with Pickett under center, then I'll definitely say Canada is a bad OC.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Mitch trying to get benched throwing the oc under the bench
The OC deserves to be tossed.

Tomlin also wastes TOs more than any coach in the league. His clock management sucks.

I left with 2 minute 20 seconds left in the game.

I did the math. Tomlin wasted a TO. Both halves. And there simply was not enough time remaining to win.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The OC deserves to be tossed.

Again, why does the OC deserve to be tossed? We have no clue what plays he is actually calling because Trubisky is so god damn bad at identifying open receivers.

Canada isn't causing Trubisky to throw a 2 yard dump-off to Harris on 3rd and 8.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'd like to see him have a QB who can both move while also identifying open receivers before I make any definitive claims with him. This isn't me defending Canada, it's just me saying I don't think we have all of the information we need. Last year, they had an immobile statue at QB. This year, they have a spazz with no football IQ at QB.

I'd like to see how Canada's offense works with Pickett under center, because I think he has both the mobility and football IQ that this team needs. If it fails with Pickett under center, then I'll definitely say Canada is a bad OC.

Canada has had basically one good season as an offensive coordinator in his coaching career.

His lasted one year at NC and LSU and got fired… then by all rights should have been fired after last season.

Now it’s a 20 game running total car wreck.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Canada has had basically one good season as an offensive coordinator in his coaching career.

His lasted one year at NC and LSU and got fired… then by all rights should have been fired after last season.

Now it’s a 20 game running total car wreck.

Okay? What he did in college isn't relevant to what he's doing now.

I'm not defending him, I'm just saying we have no idea how his offensive schemes would work in the NFL because the Steelers QB have been horrible so far. Pickett has the mobility, football IQ and talent to where Canada's system should be working, I'll call Canada awful if/when the offense sucks with Pickett at QB. I just think we have no way of knowing right now.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I'm not defending him, I'm just saying we have no idea how his offensive schemes would work in the NFL because the Steelers QB have been horrible so far. Pickett has the mobility, football IQ and talent to where Canada's system should be working, I'll call Canada awful if/when the offense sucks with Pickett at QB. I just think we have no way of knowing right now.
I already pointed out how predictable his play calling is. Bellichick didn't even bother to try stealing the playbook.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
If they don't trust Trubisky to throw anything further than 5 yards then bench his ass. Pathetic play calling by Canada today.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

What he did in college is get fired two years in a row - then come to the NFL and put together the worst 20 game stretch of Steeler O I’ve ever seen.

I feel there is a connection between all of it, but that’s just me.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

“Im not defending him, but don’t talk crap about Canada! He needs more time!”

The Matt Canada hill is a strange hill to die on, but you do you.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

It's still just absolutely astounding to me how everyone can sit there and make up every excuse in the book for this horrific coaching staff.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You really can say that both ways.

I could easily say that KP >>>> MT in making the correct reads and quick decision making.

True enough.

However when your offensive linemen mostly suck and you have the same first down run 95 percent of the time moving the entire defense up in the box how can you really judge completely?

Both can be true.

You have heard me say that about Pickett many times.

You will always have blemishes on a team in a cap world. Coaching can cover for some. In this case? The vanilla cookie cutter same thing over and over offense makes those challenges a thousand times worse.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

Took all of 2 games for tensions to get a bit heated.

Funny thing is Tomlin makes such a big deal about who he names as the captains and how much leadership means to him that putting in Pickett at any point will be one huge foot he's stuffing into his own mouth, which points to him not doing so anytime soon, if at all.

yeah, we will see rudy before we see kp.

Reactions: Pens x

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I am hardly the only one saying this. There are dozens of articles saying the same.

Such as

Canada damned himself saying for some inexplicable reason that they love those two yard gains. I can not for the life of me explain why he would say that.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It's still just absolutely astounding to me how everyone can sit there and make up every excuse in the book for this horrific coaching staff.
I don’t think everyone is defending this coaching staff, but it’s alarming that some out there still defend our garbage coaching.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
Sitting here in Arizona watching the end of the Cardinals game… Would you all prefer Kliff Kingsbury as coach of the Steelers? He has much more coaching experience than Tomlin did (at the college level). His teams have also under performed and arguably been carried by individually talented players, and he’s also made snarky comments in the media recently (“We need to do a better job preparing “ or something like that after AZ’s loss last week, following the “video game contract clause“ controversy with Kyler Murray over the off-season).

:laugh: Who am I kidding, dumb question. I think most people would prefer a potato to Tomlin at this point. I do agree with whoever said here that it must be Tomlin who wants the Steelers’ offense to “not make mistakes“ like this, since there have been similar issues pre-dating Canada…

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
DK needs to come in and make over the top statements to get people to pay attention to his shit :laugh:

Saying Trubisky is not a NFL caliber QB is just stupid. He's either a really good backup or a system starter that you'd need to surround with a ton of talent. He's been terrible in Pittsburgh because of both his flaws plus the Steelers have no running game and no offensive line. The Steelers offense is insanely predictable due to its flaws. It's not hard to gameplan for a team with a flawed QB, no blocking and no running game.

Trubisky can't see the field whatsoever. This team can't run the ball due to both their horrible offensive line (they may be able to prevent sacks okay, but they're horrible at run blocking) and Harris not being anything special. That allows teams to basically set up to stop any kind of medium passes that the Steelers would gameplan for.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I'm not defending the coaching staff (or Canada in this case), I'm saying we just don't know yet.

What he did in college is get fired two years in a row - then come to the NFL and put together the worst 20 game stretch of Steeler O I’ve ever seen.

I feel there is a connection between all of it, but that’s just me.

Correlation does not mean causation.

We know Trubisky sucks because he's the same QB he has always been. We don't know whether Canada sucks as an offensive coordinator because he's never been given the pieces to be successful in the NFL so far. Like I said, put Pickett in and if the offense sucks, then I'll say Canada sucks.

It's bizarre how fans just default into blaming coaches instead of acknowledging the possibility that the players just aren't very good. Trubisky is a guy who was run out of his old team and sat as a backup last year, why are we surprised he's showing the same exact issues that he had in Chicago?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
DK needs to come in and make over the top statements to get people to pay attention to his shit :laugh:

Saying Trubisky is not a NFL caliber QB is just stupid. He's either a really good backup or a system starter that you'd need to surround with a ton of talent. He's been terrible in Pittsburgh because of both his flaws plus the Steelers have no running game and no offensive line. The Steelers offense is insanely predictable due to its flaws. It's not hard to gameplan for a team with a flawed QB, no blocking and no running game.

Trubisky can't see the field whatsoever. This team can't run the ball due to both their horrible offensive line (they may be able to prevent sacks okay, but they're horrible at run blocking) and Harris not being anything special. That allows teams to basically set up to stop any kind of medium passes that the Steelers would gameplan for.
He isn’t a really good back up if he can’t see the field whatsoever. Joe Flacco just beat Cleveland as a really good backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad