OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
QB 1 pass rating of 76. 2 tds 1 pick for a combined 362 yards in 2 starts in first 2 starts
QB2 4 tds 1 interception and 400 yards in his first 2 starts. Whose better

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Caught this on replay - season is basically going how I thought it would, but it didn’t take much foresight to know bad OC + MT= shitty O.

Anyone not convinced after 20 games Canada is a bad OC?

The Tomlin quote about the lack of deep passes has to be one of the most idiotic things any coach has ever said - that has to be a misquote.

Because Mr Cool Shades is running out of material. It's all about the material. Last week yada yada "Guys urinate on themselves!"

Next week he'll start throwing players under the bus like last year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
QB 1 pass rating of 76. 2 tds 1 pick for a combined 362 yards in 2 starts in first 2 starts
QB2 4 tds 1 interception and 400 yards

Trubisky and Flacco have basically identical stats dating back to Flacco leaving Baltimore and becoming a backup.

Trubisky is at a QBR of 86 while Flacco is at a QBR of 85. Both are averaging roughly 200 yards/game with a ratio of about 3 TD per every 2 interceptions and a completion percentage between 62% and 64%.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Trubisky and Flacco have basically identical stats dating back to Flacco leaving Baltimore and becoming a backup.

Trubisky is at a QBR of 86 while Flacco is at a QBR of 85. Both are averaging roughly 200 yards/game with a ratio of about 3 TD per every 2 interceptions and a completion percentage between 62% and 64%.
That’s not Flacco QB2 was mason 2019 in his 1st 2 full starts against the 49ers who went to the super bowl and Cincinnati. Rush put up better numbers Mitch did today against Cincinnati

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
It is so disappointing that Trubisky is too chickensh1t to run also.

Mac Jones who is 15-20% slower than him recognizes when he needs to tuck it and run but Trubisky apparently thinks this is some sort of "I really am the #2OA athletic pocket passer" revenge tour. It ain't bud. You need to be running for your freaking life on every play. Any chance you have to use your legs to get a guaranteed first - ahem, the first drive/3 and out... - frigging do it.

Reactions: Hockeygod66

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Surely, Matt Canada will turn things around in the next 3 days ahead of Thursday’s game. Or not.

It’s too short of a week to start KP, especially for this conservative ass team. If this offense ***** the bed on Thursday, you have to fire Canada or at least try KP.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Surely, Matt Canada will turn things around in the next 3 days ahead of Thursday’s game. Or not.
Maybe we should try an onside kick against the Browns since they don’t seem to know how to defend one. But I guess Danny Smith is a completely different subject.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That’s not Flacco QB2 was mason 2019 in his 1st 2 full starts against the 49ers who went to the super bowl and Cincinnati. Rush put up better numbers Mitch did today against Cincinnati

Then Rudolph threw 5 interceptions in 6 quarters to the Browns and Bengals as they had a combined record of 3-19.

Also, I think you're painting a bit of an inaccurate picture here. Against SF, Rudolph went 14 for 27 with 174 yards, 2 TD and 1 INT in a loss. Against Cincinnati, who were a dogshit team that year and went 2-14, he went 24 for 28 with 229 yards and 2 TDs in a win. I don't really see that as a glowing endorsement of Rudolph.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If Trubisky could see the field whatsoever, he'd be an above average starter.

His poor vision is what prevents him from being a good starter.
I honestly don't think that MT is a bad QB. He is hopelessly average. He has some beautiful throws. Some athleticism. Some accuracy.

What you are describing is why he never will be a great QB. He can't make the proper reads and is slow making his progressions.

It does not excuse the horrid predictable play calling that hinders him far more than his above mentioned limitations.

With a competent OC he could be successful. Simply never great. And will not carry a team but could be a Neal O'Donnell.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Canada said hold my beer when he heard that no one could screw up MT worse than Nagy in Chicago.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I honestly don't think that MT is a bad QB. He is hopelessly average. He has some beautiful throws. Some athleticism. Some accuracy.

What you are describing is why he never will be a great QB. He can't make the proper reads and is slow making his progressions.

It does not excuse the horrid predictable play calling that hinders him far more than his above mentioned limitations.

With a competent OC he could be successful. Simply never great. And will not carry a team but could be a Neal O'Donnell.

Yeah like I said above, Trubisky would be fine (not good, fine) as a starter if you surrounded him with an incredibly talented lineup and a good scheme. The Steelers just absolutely do not have that.

Trubisky's biggest flaw is that he's horrible at reading the field and can't make his progressions fast enough. But if you had a good enough team where his first read would actually be a viable throwing option, instead of something the defense is set up to counter, you could actually make plays there.

The Steelers offense is highly predictable because they just flat out do not have a running game. You can criticize Canada as well, but I think the running game is the real main factor here. They can't build passing plays off of the run because their OL can't block and Harris isn't that good. That results in their play becoming extremely stagnant, where teams can set up to counter the medium pass (because that's all that Canada goes for) because they're not at risk of being burned by the running game by doing so.

I've said I don't know how good Canada is, not as a defense of him but more of a comment of ignorance. But I am confident when I say the lack of their running game causes their pass game to be crap. It doesn't matter if you have a pocket passer in Ben or a mobile guy in Trubisky, you need to have a running threat to complement the passing game.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Let's also put this a bit into perspective. We don't spend money on the offense. I guess we spent some draft capital, sure. But the allocation of resources dictates this will be a defensive team. I was disappointed in how easily our DL/Front 7 got blown off the ball as the game progressed.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah like I said above, Trubisky would be fine (not good, fine) as a starter if you surrounded him with an incredibly talented lineup and a good scheme. The Steelers just absolutely do not have that.

Trubisky's biggest flaw is that he's horrible at reading the field and can't make his progressions fast enough. But if you had a good enough team where his first read would actually be a viable throwing option, instead of something the defense is set up to counter, you could actually make plays there.

The Steelers offense is highly predictable because they just flat out do not have a running game. You can criticize Canada as well, but I think the running game is the real main factor here. They can't build passing plays off of the run because their OL can't block and Harris isn't that good. That results in their play becoming extremely stagnant, where teams can set up to counter the medium pass (because that's all that Canada goes for) because they're not at risk of being burned by the running game by doing so.

I've said I don't know how good Canada is, not as a defense of him but more of a comment of ignorance. But I am confident when I say the lack of their running game causes their pass game to be crap. It doesn't matter if you have a pocket passer in Ben or a mobile guy in Trubisky, you need to have a running threat to complement the passing game.
But if your game plan is run on first down 95 percent of the time defenses will put everyone in the box on first down making the running game impossible. Which is what New England did.

The suckage on Offensive Line only makes it worse..

So it is a chicken egg thing..

We can't fix the Line.

But we can mix things up on first down to make the team less predictable. .

That is the only realistic try we can make this year yhat there is control over.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm probably repeating myself, but this is the issue I see with the Steelers offense:

1. They have no running game, so other teams don't have to respect the running risk and can focus more on defending the pass.
2. Trubisky is bad at making reads, so when the primary option is covered as the other team is defending the pass, he panics and just defaults to chucking it to Harris/Freiermuth on a short pass.
3. Canada's passing playbook seems to only have short or medium passes, so that also allows the defense to focus even more on those passing routes. It's no surprise that the good plays that stick out are things like jet sweeps to Claypool, they're very unpredictable and catch the defenses off guard.

So it's a 3 part problem in my eyes. You don't have a running game to set up the passing game, you don't have a QB capable of working through his progressions and you have defenses focusing on defending the only plays that the OC calls.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
A 39 year old Ben would have fed DJ 100 times today and at least attempted a deep shot to Pickens or Claypool. Literally just ate up the zone New England played cause they couldn’t play m2m against our Wr group. When they tried that is when the 17 yard pass to Pickens hit. He probably would have lead Najaee on the wheel route or at least not stared him down pre snap

I’d like for KP to never have to run a play that Canada calls.
Except for

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
They had some success hitting Najee Harris out of the backfield. He has great hands and then was free to use his skills.

It is a way to mix things up to loosen bringing their entire defense into the box. And getting the ball in your running backs hands.

They simply didn't attempt those passes often enough.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
A few notes that I think are all true:
-Matt Canada is not a good OC and the fact he convinced ownership he needs 3 years to implement a system is hilarious.
-Trubisky is not good. He's below average. Pickett is probably better.
BUT Tomlin has made Trubisky captain and doubled down this is his team. There is a snow balls chance in Hell Pickett plays this year unless we are clearly out of the playoff picture.

Theres a lot of stink around our coaching staff and roster so I'm not one to say it's all one or the other.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm not defending the coaching staff (or Canada in this case), I'm saying we just don't know yet.

Correlation does not mean causation.

We know Trubisky sucks because he's the same QB he has always been. We don't know whether Canada sucks as an offensive coordinator because he's never been given the pieces to be successful in the NFL so far. Like I said, put Pickett in and if the offense sucks, then I'll say Canada sucks.

It's bizarre how fans just default into blaming coaches instead of acknowledging the possibility that the players just aren't very good. Trubisky is a guy who was run out of his old team and sat as a backup last year, why are we surprised he's showing the same exact issues that he had in Chicago?

When these things correlate to Canada in both college and the pros across three teams, it’s not difficult to see the constant is him.

So you can point to MT being run out of town, but not how Canada was run out of town… twice in two years in college before he came to fail this hard with the Steelers?

Steelers only moved the ball last season when BR called his own plays - which tells me by and large it wasn’t a personnel issue.

I have multiple posts from the spring explaining that MT isn’t a very good QB, but he’s not this bad.

MT can be a below avg QB and Canada can be a very bad OC.

They aren’t mutually exclusive things.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I actually see MT as a slightly above average quarterback.

Which is more an indictment of the suckage at the position league wide than any praise of him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I actually see MT as a slightly above average quarterback.

Which is more an indictment of the suckage at the position league wide than any praise of him.

No matter where we place him among his peers, he’s simply not this bad.

I never thought he was very good, but it’s obvious what was going to happen when you put a guy like MT in a shitty scheme.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
A guy who can not read defenses constantly Ba is out and throwing off his back foot isn’t a good back up. This is exactly who is was in Chicago. He stares down wr like a high school QB. In Chicago he was a front foot thrower at best Alex smith whose arm talent maxed out at 20 yard throws.

No matter where we place him among his peers, he’s simply not this bad.

I never thought he was very good, but it’s obvious what was going to happen when you put a guy like MT in a shitty scheme.
He was ranked 30 among 32 starters yes he is

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad