OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The entire Steelers strategy with the QB position has been moronic. I totally support drafting Pickett because I think Pickett is going to be legit. But why would you sign a shitty starter who won't work with the flaws of the team to play above him? That's just an obvious source of drama that was inevitable to happen.

If they drafted Pickett to sit behind Ben, that would have been an awesome scenario (outside of Ben likely whining about it). Or if they would have started Pickett with Trubisky being insurance for him, that would have also been fine. But sitting the local star Pickett behind an obviously failed starter in Trubisky is just going to cause drama among fans.
any player replacing ben was going to fail. that's just the way it works.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
What were they "right" about?

Sorry, not clicking a link that's affiliated with DK in any way. Dude is a tier 1 asshat ...
That WR were open all game yesterday. That Mitch can’t read the defense and ignored the one on one Pickens had all game. Pickens and Muth were upset with Mitch in game. Dj was wide open on the terrible under throw wheel route to Harris

any player replacing ben was going to fail. that's just the way it works.
Yeah I figured Mitch would be our cam Newton since you don’t want to be the guy after the HOF he is supposed to be the bridge QB

Reactions: The Old Master

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
That WR were open all game yesterday. That Mitch can’t read the defense and ignored the one on one Pickens had all game. Pickens and Muth were upset with Mitch in game. Dj was wide open on the terrible under throw wheel route to Harris

Yeah I figured Mitch would be our cam Newton since you don’t want to be the guy after the HOF he is supposed to be the bridge QB

Muth came out pretty clearly in his postgame about the play calling, not MT.

I dunno. MT isn't gonna put this team on his back no matter what. But lets not act like replacing him with anyone currently on the roster is going to drastically alter our results. Not while other things stay the same that is.

I do eagerly look forward to them eventually playing KP this season though. Not because I think he's the future, but so everyone will see the results aren't really any different.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

The QB in this offense is programmed to hit the primary read if it's open, and because the primary read is some safe shitty 3-yd throw it's always open.

Ben did this the past 2 seasons. We're seeing the same stuff.

Reactions: vodeni

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Muth came out pretty clearly in his postgame about the play calling, not MT.

I dunno. MT isn't gonna put this team on his back no matter what. But lets not act like replacing him with anyone currently on the roster is going to drastically alter our results. Not while other things stay the same that is.

I do eagerly look forward to them eventually playing KP this season though. Not because I think he's the future, but so everyone will see the results aren't really any different.
He said they need more tempo because he knows that the only way Mitch can succeed. He doesn’t have to think in 2 minute he knows exactly where to throw it this was his strength in Chicago pointed out by Warner.
KP ability to run on the RPo and throw with anticipation is going to open up the offense. He reads defenses really well thanks to Whipple pro offense. We saw Jones throw a pick over the middle yesterday and still make anticipation throws against our cover 2 that Mitch can’t make

The QB in this offense is programmed to hit the primary read if it's open, and because the primary read is some safe shitty 3-yd throw it's always open.

Ben did this the past 2 seasons. We're seeing the same stuff.
Yeah that’s why DJ whoever on the left is eating the best. They wouldn’t have spent all camp and pre season moving Claypool in the slot and drafting Pickens if they didn’t want it to evolve

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Agree that Mitch basically has to run a two-minute offense all the time (or a lot more than just the last two minutes) to be successful. That puts a lot of stress on everyone else so I’m not sure it’s feasible….that’s why Pickett needs to be in there lol

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
At one point in the game today, Charles Davis made the comment about how the NE defensive backs weren’t even getting in to a backpedal. This is a problem. Defenses can play downhill against the Steelers offense.

There is nothing that threatens them, nothing to make them play honest. It’s just the same JV bullshit over and over and over.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
He said they need more tempo because he knows that the only way Mitch can succeed. He doesn’t have to think in 2 minute he knows exactly where to throw it this was his strength in Chicago pointed out by Warner.
KP ability to run on the RPo and throw with anticipation is going to open up the offense. He reads defenses really well thanks to Whipple pro offense. We saw Jones throw a pick over the middle yesterday and still make anticipation throws against our cover 2 that Mitch can’t make

Yeah that’s why DJ whoever on the left is eating the best. They wouldn’t have spent all camp and pre season moving Claypool in the slot and drafting Pickens if they didn’t want it to evolve

Uh, if you think that KP is going to RPO here and that'll be the answer ... ok?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
At one point in the game today, Charles Davis made the comment about how the NE defensive backs weren’t even getting in to a backpedal. This is a problem. Defenses can play downhill against the Steelers offense.

There is nothing that threatens them, nothing to make them play honest. It’s just the same JV bullshit over and over and over.
Well a lot of that is on the QB we play…the QB doesn’t have to throw to the first read or the check down all the time…most of the WR routes are well past the sticks…a lot of that is on MT…but the offense, especially running game, is so simplistic and non deceptive, that teams know what’s being called and it’s easy to decipher…that’s on MC

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Uh, if you think that KP is going to RPO here and that'll be the answer ... ok?
It’s not just the RPo. It’s the ability to throw on the move the ability to use play action the ability to anticipate the open WR and throw them open. Mac Jones is probably the floor for KP and that’s a major upgrade from MT. You saw KP and Pickens eat on back shoulder throws that MT is missing and throwing off his back foot.

Well a lot of that is on the QB we play…the QB doesn’t have to throw to the first read or the check down all the time…most of the WR routes are well past the sticks…a lot of that is on MT…but the offense, especially running game, is so simplistic and non deceptive, that teams know what’s being called and it’s easy to decipher…that’s on MC
Starks Essex and Foster are blaming Najaee but they could be covering for the o line. They say he doesn’t hit the hole and runs up his o line back. Definitely looked better after Warren played well yesterday

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
It’s not just the RPo. It’s the ability to throw on the move the ability to use play action the ability to anticipate the open WR and throw them open. Mac Jones is probably the floor for KP and that’s a major upgrade from MT. You saw KP and Pickens eat on back shoulder throws that MT is missing and throwing off his back foot.

Starks Essex and Foster are blaming Najaee but they could be covering for the o line. They say he doesn’t hit the hole and runs up his o line back. Definitely looked better after Warren played well yesterday

MT isn't exactly a pylon back there ... and no one is going to bite on play action (no matter who is QB) with our run game. And yes, KP did look good in preseason. Against 2s/3s/4s/insurance salesman. He will get lit up like a christmas tree if you put him in for live NFL action.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
MT isn't exactly a pylon back there ... and no one is going to bite on play action (no matter who is QB) with our run game. And yes, KP did look good in preseason. Against 2s/3s/4s/insurance salesman. He will get lit up like a christmas tree if you put him in for live NFL action.
But on the RPo teams de just attack the rb if he keeps it he could easily have 10 yards running and walk in tds. The one time New England went after Mitch and fell for the motions lead to the Harris longest run. He had a chance to pick 1sts yesterday with his legs and gave himself up short of the stick.
We saw KP against Jacksonville starting defense outplay MT

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Apparently some have seen the all-22 film already and it allegedly looks horrendous for Trubisky.

If there's a predetermined checkdown then, what does it say about the coaches?

I didn't see much of the game but from what I did see, and from what I've read, Trubisky probably isn't it but this offensive philosophy in this situation is most definitely not it. And I'll happily throw blame at Canada but he doesn't dream up this shit alone.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
MT is really poor at making reads and Canada is not an NFL caliber coach.

Unfortunately Tomlin will stick by both regardless til the season is complete garbage time. We are in for a rough year.
No he will not. He will go with the guy Canada recruited in college and see if he can play in his offense if not they will move on from Canada. They need to know if KP is the guy or not before the draft

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This is about as damning as you'll see from Tomlin.

I didn't see much of the game but from what I did see, and from what I've read, Trubisky probably isn't it but this offensive philosophy in this situation is most definitely not it. And I'll happily throw blame at Canada but he doesn't dream up this shit alone.

I've said this a bunch of times already, but I truly think we do not know because of how bad Trubisky has played.

I'm agnostic towards Canada because I just honestly can't tell what routes the team is running, just because Trubisky is so bad at reading the field.

Reactions: EvGeno and Andy99

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

I think it’s just a poorly worded tweet. It’s not the coaches that are telling him to throw the check down. It’s Trubisky deciding probably before the snap that’s where he’s going to go.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Apparently some have seen the all-22 film already and it allegedly looks horrendous for Trubisky.

Rusher coming in unblocked so he went quick. Also, a S over the top of Muth anyway if he'd even got that far in the progressions.

I wouldn't call that screen cap an indictment of MT as much as it's being made out to be.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

This is about as damning as you'll see from Tomlin.

I've said this a bunch of times already, but I truly think we do not know because of how bad Trubisky has played.

I'm agnostic towards Canada because I just honestly can't tell what routes the team is running, just because Trubisky is so bad at reading the field.

I think you have the cart before the horse. I think the coaches are pushing conservative reads on Trubisky.

Although maybe I shouldn't be saying coaches plural if that's what Tomlin has to say about Canada.

I think it’s just a poorly worded tweet. It’s not the coaches that are telling him to throw the check down. It’s Trubisky deciding probably before the snap that’s where he’s going to go.

But the coaches are feeding Trubisky what sort of decision making they want to see. It doesn't matter whether that comes direct from coaching or heavily implied, I don't see how that's not the source.

Not with the WRs complaining about the calls instead of the QB, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad