The Paul Maurice Pitchfork Thread (MOD Warning Post #1)

cotopaxi

Feb 2, 2015
Has Maurice lost the room already? Sure looks like it to me, the way he screams at the team during the timeout which seemed to fall on deaf ears. I mean the players have to be questioning him with such an irrational fall from a President's trophy seaon to being barely a 0.500 team.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
an irrational fall

Call it as the Stall Experience.

I can't really blame him. He's in the strip club by himself wondering where the hell his wingmen have gone.

I'm impressed he can get up in the morning.

Oh why the bourgeois can't understand that the poor downtrodden must have some earthly pleasure for themselves.

Reactions: I am not exposed

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Has Maurice lost the room already? Sure looks like it to me, the way he screams at the team during the timeout which seemed to fall on deaf ears. I mean the players have to be questioning him with such an irrational fall from a President's trophy seaon to being barely a 0.500 team.
Their progress completely stalled.

Reactions: 5 Hole

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002
Serious questions for you.
Should've Zito hired Jukka Jalonen panthers head coach instead of Paul Maurice?
even with that risk it would've cost for Zito his job if Jalonen would've failed as Maurice is doing now.

You've whined here of Maurice at least a month if not 1,5 months so how it is ?
Is this all your cry of Maurice based on that Jukka Jalonen didn't get coaching job for Panthers?
I'm waiting.

Nobody is hiring Jalonen. He’s been passed so many times. His only chance is Columbus.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Jet fan coming in peace.
I’ve always had a soft spot for the Panthers and I was genuinely surprised when they hired Paul Maurice.
It’s still early in the season and things can turn around. Before you panic, here are the things to look for (from experience) that would be red flags that happened here in Winnipeg.
1) constant under-performing for the amount of talent on the team.
2) A very safe but ineffective penalty kill. No aggression at all.
3) A powerplay that doesn’t have any movement to it. Very predictable and easy to defend against.
4) Very little aggressive forechecking at 5 on 5 and very little D pinching. D and forwards don’t play as a 5 man unit.
5) No layers on the attack. Always three across the line.
6) Former high character players seemingly losing interest and putting in little effort.
7) playing the wrong style of hockey for the type of talent on the team.
If you’re seeing most or all of these, then it’s probably time to worry a bit that history is repeating.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Jet fan coming in peace.
I’ve always had a soft spot for the Panthers and I was genuinely surprised when they hired Paul Maurice.
It’s still early in the season and things can turn around. Before you panic, here are the things to look for (from experience) that would be red flags that happened here in Winnipeg.
3) A powerplay that doesn’t have any movement to it. Very predictable and easy to defend against.
4) Very little aggressive forechecking at 5 on 5 and very little D pinching. D and forwards don’t play as a 5 man unit.
6) Former high character players seemingly losing interest and putting in little effort.
If you’re seeing most or all of these, then it’s probably time to worry a bit that history is repeating.
Let’s see
1) check
2) check
3) check
4) check
5) not always
6) check
7) check

Nahhh, we good.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
Jet fan coming in peace.
sorry, but i don't see any of this. paul is doing a fine job and the team is playing very well with a terrific power play and a lot of dmen being aggressive and pinching in and keeping the games low scoring for the opposition.
i am very happy with paul and feel that he will lead us into the playoffs and get us fairly deep. i think we will be buyers at the deadline and further strengthen the team. zito is no fool and he hired the best coach that was available to us. time will tell, but i am very optimistic!!!!!

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Jet fan coming in peace.

1. Well, yes.
2. The PK is better this season, I think. Especially given personnel.
3. It was also like this last season, but yes.
4. The team is actually forechecking more aggressively than last season's club.
5. Don't see this at the moment.
6. Unfortunately I am seeing this with one player in particular and very concerned.
7. Yes.

I've never been a fan of this guy, but I think the issue has less to do with scheme and more to do with his love affair with Eric Staal + he seems to have no idea how to manage his players as human beings.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
Jet fan coming in peace.
1) Too early to tell.
2) I think our last year's PK was less aggressive.
3) It probably should have more movement, but it still can generate dangerous chances.
4) Earlier in the season Jack Han said in the podcast that their style actually changed less than he expected, they still play very aggressive.
5) Didn't notice that.
6) High character players still can contribute when it's needed, but sometimes almost entire team looks quit.
7) Maybe, but I'm not sure.

I think my biggest questionmark with Maurice right now is about his ability to motivate his players, encourage them to extra effort when something isn't working according to plan. With randomness of hockey, it can occur pretty often.

Reactions: pantherbot

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
1) Too early to tell.
2) I think our last year's PK was less aggressive.
3) It probably should have more movement, but it still can generate dangerous chances.
4) Earlier in the season Jack Han said in the podcast that their style actually changed less than he expected, they still play very aggressive.
5) Didn't notice that.
6) High character players still can contribute when it's needed, but sometimes almost entire team looks quit.
7) Maybe, but I'm not sure.

I think my biggest questionmark with Maurice right now is about his ability to motivate his players, encourage them to extra effort when something isn't working according to plan. With randomness of hockey, it can occur pretty often.

This is my biggest question mark right now too. He clearly knows how to structure a team and implement strategy, but I'm not sure he's the type of coach you run through a wall for. You don't always need that kind of coach if you have that in your players, but I don't see that quality from our top players. The leadership comes more from our supplemental this like Horny, Gudas, etc. One of the reasons why I think we kept Horny.

I think Tkachuk seems like he can be a good leader but I don't have a good sense yet of what he's like with the team. Barkov is a good player and lead by example guy, but doesn't strike me as that intensely competitive personality you need when things ramp up. It's not too say he's not still great and maybe I'm wrong because we don't know what it's like in the locker room, but it doesn't feel like he has a higher emotional gear.

Team is still competitive and we've definitely suffered from uncontrollables early in the season. Maybe the early season adversity will be good. Really hope we get into playoffs so we can see what the team will be like.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Jet fan coming in peace.
1- Not really, our defense and goalies are bad and they are about where they should be in the standings.
2- Right, it has been mediocre since 2018.
3- Right, there are a few set plays, but they are rarely well executed.
4- Wrong.
5- Wrong.
6- Wrong, only Barkov, but that might have nothing to do with PoMo.

PoMo isn't a difference maker, you could tell me Boughner is behind the bench and I wouldn't bat an eye.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
sorry, but i don't see any of this. paul is doing a fine job and the team is playing very well with a terrific power play and a lot of dmen being aggressive and pinching in and keeping the games low scoring for the opposition.
i am very happy with paul and feel that he will lead us into the playoffs and get us fairly deep. i think we will be buyers at the deadline and further strengthen the team. zito is no fool and he hired the best coach that was available to us. time will tell, but i am very optimistic!!!!!
is this humor?

Reactions: teugen

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Re-opening this thread. Don’t feed the trolls. Let the mods handle it, and please read the mod note in the first post of this thread.

Last edited:

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Josh Morrissey: Career High in points under PoMo - 37

Points so far this season: 39

Aaron Ekblad career high in points pre-PoMo 57 (in 61 games)

Aaron Ekblad so far this season: 14 in 23 games. On pace for his first "minus" season since Bobby Boo was our coach.

I know injuries are at play here to a degree, but Ekblad looks terrible/lost.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
The mind-boggling part of this is how Zito will look in all outcomes. He either has to go to ownership and apologize and beg for money to replace the coach or stubbornly cross his arms and accept the optics of having traded away lottery picks in a good draft for Chiarot.

He earned so much good favor to start. He should cut his losses ASAP before people truly start to turn on him. At this point, I have tons of criticisms for him but I’m not against him. I still think he’s up for the job. Overwhelmingly though… our team is upside down, and regression of 3 of every 4 players does not explain that.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Looking at the rosters stats atm.

Barkov, Ekblad, Reinhart and Lundell are clearly having down years.

But we also have Forsling, Montour, Verhaege on pace for having their best years yet. Not to mention Tkachuk who hasn't at all missed a beat.

Montour is pacing for 66 points when his next best is 37 points. Forsling is pacing for 56 when his next best pace is 42 points.

Verhaege is also producing and scoring at a better rate than last season. He had 24 goals and 58 points last year but is on track for 40 goals and 67 points.

Now I'm not saying they will maintain those paces, but my point is we have players playing their best hockey despite our disappointing record. I'm just skeptical to blame the underachievers on the coach's system. It would be different if the vast majority were having down years but that's not the case.

Not to mention, last year the majority of our players were having career highs, including the ones performing even better this season. We always knew there was going to be a regression for most of our players.

Reinhart is actually reverting back to his career average before last season, and Lundell seems to be hit with the sophomore slump which coincidentally happens when Marchment is gone and the team is declining. Then there's Bob, who always had question marks on whether he would repeat last season or go back to what he was the 2 prior seasons. None of that is shocking to me, Barkov is the only real surprise.

I'm saying all this as someone who never liked the Maurice hire to begin with based on his track record, and I do think we would do well to replace him with a better coach. But I'm not sure he's the biggest problem rn. Ultimately it's up to the players to perform even if systems may affect play, and there's nothing he can do about one of the worst goalie tandems in the league, injuries and a loss of depth.

Last edited:

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Looking at the rosters stats atm.

Barkov, Ekblad, Reinhart and Lundell are clearly having down years.

But we also have Forsling, Montour, Verhaege on pace for having their best years yet. Not to mention Tkachuk who hasn't at all missed a beat.

Montour is pacing for 66 points when his next best is 37 points. Forsling is pacing for 56 when his next best pace is 42 points.

Verhaege is also producing and scoring at a better rate than last season. He had 24 goals and 58 points last year but is on track for 40 goals and 67 points.

Now I'm not saying they will maintain those paces, but my point is we have players playing their best hockey despite our disappointing record. I'm just skeptical to blame the underachievers on the coach's system. It would be different if the vast majority were having down years but that's not the case.

Not to mention, last year the majority of our players were having career highs, including the ones performing even better this season. We always knew there was going to be a regression for most of our players.

Reinhart is actually reverting back to his career average before last season, and Lundell seems to be hit with the sophomore slump which coincidentally happens when Marchment is gone and the team is declining. Then there's Bob, who always had question marks on whether he would repeat last season or go back to what he was the 2 prior seasons. None of that is shocking to me, Barkov is the only real surprise.

I'm saying all this as someone who never liked the Maurice hire to begin with based on his track record, and I do think we would do well to replace him with a better coach. But I'm not sure he's the biggest problem rn. Ultimately it's up to the players to perform even if systems may affect play, and there's nothing he can do about one of the worst goalie tandems in the league, injuries and a loss of depth.

Agree 100%. It comes down to some of our best and highest paid players not performing to expectations, for whatever reason.

People keep bringing up the Bruins with some of their injury issues, but Bergeron and Pasta weren't injured and have been playing exceptional. Even the secondary guys like Hall and Krejci stepped up, plus the injured guys haven't missed a beat when returning.

That's way different from our top players, and it's mostly from individual issues. Barkov, Ekblad, Bob, and Reinhart have not performed relative to their cap hit and have been a major reason why we're underperforming as a team. Barkov started poorly for what I think were personal reasons, then gets hit with pneumonia and now the knee issue. Ekblad getting injured and now injured again, plus never really looking comfortable for whatever reason. Bob has played better recently, but was super inconsistent and mostly bad. Reinhart had amazing chances, but couldn't figure out how to hit the net.

None of those things have to do with coaching imo, and more down to individual performances that have been lacking. And yeah I'm super annoyed about the Staal situation, but also feel like it'd be more of a curious footnote if our top guys played better.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Agree 100%. It comes down to some of our best and highest paid players not performing to expectations, for whatever reason.

People keep bringing up the Bruins with some of their injury issues, but Bergeron and Pasta weren't injured and have been playing exceptional. Even the secondary guys like Hall and Krejci stepped up, plus the injured guys haven't missed a beat when returning.

That's way different from our top players, and it's mostly from individual issues. Barkov, Ekblad, Bob, and Reinhart have not performed relative to their cap hit and have been a major reason why we're underperforming as a team. Barkov started poorly for what I think were personal reasons, then gets hit with pneumonia and now the knee issue. Ekblad getting injured and now injured again, plus never really looking comfortable for whatever reason. Bob has played better recently, but was super inconsistent and mostly bad. Reinhart had amazing chances, but couldn't figure out how to hit the net.

None of those things have to do with coaching imo, and more down to individual performances that have been lacking. And yeah I'm super annoyed about the Staal situation, but also feel like it'd be more of a curious footnote if our top guys played better.

It’s funny because people are saying Maurice has completely changed our systems to a boring, low-event approach where we just dump and chase all night, meanwhile the analytics suggest that we play high-event hockey (offensively) but our guys just aren’t finishing.

People will piss and moan that Ekblad sucks, Bob isn’t consistent, Barkov isn’t scoring, etc, but then when we lose it’s Maurice who sucks and has to go.

Reactions: pantherbot

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
It’s funny because people are saying Maurice has completely changed our systems to a boring, low-event approach where we just dump and chase all night, meanwhile the analytics suggest that we play high-event hockey (offensively) but our guys just aren’t finishing.

People will piss and moan that Ekblad sucks, Bob isn’t consistent, Barkov isn’t scoring, etc, but then when we lose it’s Maurice who sucks and has to go.

Right exactly. Our team is different, but it's not THAT different when healthy. And our roster isn't deep enough to play well when our top guys are injured or underperforming. People bring up Bruins as if that's a proper comparable, but like the injured Bruins team had a better roster than a healthy Panthers team could ice...makes no sense.

Reactions: batting1k

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I mean, those comparing us to Boston. Look at their main players compared to ours.

Centers
Bergeron, Krejci, Coyle vs. Barkov, Bennett, Lundell
That's pretty comparable. Except Barkov's been injured and underperforming and Ludell has been in his sophomore slump.

Wingers
Pasta, Marchand, DeBrusk, Zacha, Hall vs. Tkachuk, Reinhart, Verhaeghe, ???
I mean, this isn't even comparable. Pasta and Marchand are world-class players, comparable to Tkachuk. You could say Reinhart and Verhaeghe are equivalent to Hall. But it's not even close. So yeah Marchand was down for a few games, but came right back at a high level. Their injured winger depth was better than our healthy winger depth.

Defense
McAvoy, Lindholm, Grz, Carlo vs. Ekblad, Forsling, Montour, ???
Boston has an actual top-4 and a world-class player in McAvoy. At the top of Ekblad's game, he maaaaybe was as good as McAvoy is today. This season's Ekblad? Not even close. So again, injured Boston defense better than our healthy defense.

Goalies
Ullmark, Swayman vs. Bob, Knight
Do I even need to go through this?

This doesn't include the half dozen times we've played down one or even two skaters! Not even comparable to Boston, just doesn't make sense.

Reactions: batting1k

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Our 3 centers: Barkov, Bennett, and Lundell, have a combined 17 goals.

Brayden point alone has that many (matthews as well), and 7 other centers (not even counting wingers, just centers) have exceeded that total alone. Led by mcdavid who has 30 by himself :laugh:

Reactions: harv33173

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006

Hockey is transition plays more than half the time when there is a legitimate chance for possession challenge (the other times being faceoffs). I’m going to appeal to an eye test (so no fancy stats, all personal judgment only) but look at our transition offense and defense.

When we have a chance to gain possession in our D zone from the other team, our forwards don’t start skating right away out of the zone with speed and they don’t spread the other team’s D along the boards. There is a delay. This allows at least one of the other team’s forwards to hustle to back check, and the odd man rush turns into even or one less on our side. This mostly causes a dump and chase because that’s all that’s left. Tampa, Boston, NJ, Rangers Leafs — all react a second faster and off they go on their odd man rush. Of course, to be able to do that, we would need good passing D. Which we don’t have.

Reactions: 16Skippy

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
We’re 0.001 away in win percentage from last place in the Atlantic.

Okay to bash Mo yet?

Reactions: Vilam

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad