The Paul Maurice Pitchfork Thread (MOD Warning Post #1)

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
It’s tough to look at those 2 teams and not see what they have in common

They were the best regular season team last year and are currently 11th in the East.
Then you look at the Jets underachieving for years and once Maurice leaves they are at the top of the Central.

Losing Weegar can’t be the only explanation and has nothing to do with the change in Winnipeg

I've already addressed the Jets vs. Panthers before, but you ignored it and just keep going with this.

Jets have a better record largely due to extra points from OTW/SO and good goaltending. Panthers last year also benefited from extra time points. Then take into account our top players playing like crap and/or getting injured, sick, whatever.

Reactions: BabyBennettov

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've already addressed the Jets vs. Panthers before, but you ignored it and just keep going with this.

Jets have a better record largely due to extra points from OTW/SO and good goaltending. Panthers last year also benefited from extra time points. Then take into account our top players playing like crap and/or getting injured, sick, whatever.

These are just weak excuses.

Toronto is missing half their defense and what are they doing?
Boston was missing McAvoy, Marchand& Grzelcyk and was the best team in the league.

Jets look 180 to last year.
& we’ve heard and read plenty about the locker room issues Jets had and problems Maurice had in Winnipeg.

Vegas was a mess last year and look what happens when Cassidy goes there?

Coaching matters and Panthers aren’t getting that

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

They were the best regular season team last year and are currently 11th in the East.
Then you look at the Jets underachieving for years and once Maurice leaves they are at the top of the Central.

Losing Weegar can’t be the only explanation and has nothing to do with the change in Winnipeg
For some reason I could only think of the NY Jets and I really wasn't getting what you were on about haha
Helle is having a great bounce back season after a rough one, was Pomo the cause? Hard to say since he won a Vezina under him, I guess we'll see.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
For some reason I could only think of the NY Jets and I really wasn't getting what you were on about haha
Helle is having a great bounce back season after a rough one, was Pomo the cause? Hard to say since he won a Vezina under him, I guess we'll see.

It’s just too well reported what a mess Jets locker room was under Maurice.

Add on them underachieving for years with a loaded roster.

Now Florida is fighting to make the playoffs this year when they were supposed to be quaranteed to make it

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
The 'oh, the other team was rested, Florida is on a B2B with missing players' excuse does nothing for me.

Florida has lost games this season to teams in exactly that position.

If Florida were in 5th and regressed from last year, I’d accept the injury comments as a major contributing factor. The truth though is that they’re struggling to beat anyone. Everyone has injuries and travel and personnel changes. You don’t go from “we want 10” to this from the personnel changes. The injuries don’t cut it - half of these guys had injuries last year too.

People need to snap out of it fast.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
I think Maurice has already lost the lockerroom. He took that timeout in the 2nd period and got all red yelling...what happened? Literally nothing changed. The guys didnt play more urgent. They just kept turning the puck over and not giving a shit.

That to me is a red flag. That timeout + outcome is not talked about enough here

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida

Huberdeau, weegar, duclair, marchment. It’s just not the same team so it’s hard to make a clear cut observation on coaching because of that.

Reactions: Ghoste

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Huberdeau, weegar, duclair, marchment. It’s just not the same team so it’s hard to make a clear cut observation on coaching because of that.

& they added Tkachuk(+ others) who’s been the MVP of this team so far.

I understand it’s not the same team yet this team should be far better than what they’ve shown so far.
& injuries are not an excuse for this team this year

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
& they added Tkachuk(+ others) who’s been the MVP of this team so far.

I understand it’s not the same team yet this team should be far better than what they’ve shown so far.
& injuries are not an excuse for this team this year
Tkachuk and players I would consider lower caliber, and markedly so than the ones that left. My point is you can’t fully say it’s coaching and you can’t fully say it’s personnel changes. There is noise that makes it difficult to interpret the results, however I agree that the team can perform better than what they currently are even with the clearly worse roster than last season. They look like a defeated group.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Tkachuk and players I would consider lower caliber, and markedly so than the ones that left. My point is you can’t fully say it’s coaching and you can’t fully say it’s personnel changes. There is noise that makes it difficult to interpret the results, however I agree that the team can perform better than what they currently are even with the clearly worse roster than last season. They look like a defeated group.

I haven’t said it’s 100% on Maurice.
Lot of the roster building is on Zito as well, as is hiring Maurice.

Yet we know Jets locker room had lot of issues the last couple years when Maurice was coaching there, they underachieved with a loaded roster.
Now with basically same roster they look like 180 on last year.

While Florida is looking 180 to last year and seeing a major drop in the standings.

Reactions: I am not exposed

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think Maurice has already lost the lockerroom. He took that timeout in the 2nd period and got all red yelling...what happened? Literally nothing changed. The guys didnt play more urgent. They just kept turning the puck over and not giving a shit.

That to me is a red flag. That timeout + outcome is not talked about enough here
I was in the stands at the shoot twice end, couldn’t see his face, they didn’t show anything on the jumbo. Otherwise I would definitely be talking about it (thanks for bringing it up).

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC

You seem to be sticking to “because there are other issues, we cannot hold one accountable.”

You can say the roster is clearly worse, and for that we look towards Zito. But can you honestly say the roster is that much worse? Furthermore, what makes you think we are missing Duclair? I think the very point of the criticism of Maurice is… just you wait, Duclair will be back and he will look like a heaping pile of shit in this system. Kinda like how Barkov and Lundell and Ekblad all look like shit. Verhaeghe looks fine because he’s got some serious lone wolf power when need be, but otherwise we are seeing the rise of grinding and the abandonment of skill.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Boston was missing McAvoy, Marchand& Grzelcyk and was the best team in the league.

& we’ve heard and read plenty about the locker room issues Jets had and problems Maurice had in Winnipeg.

Serious questions for you.
Should've Zito hired Jukka Jalonen panthers head coach instead of Paul Maurice?
even with that risk it would've cost for Zito his job if Jalonen would've failed as Maurice is doing now.

You've whined here of Maurice at least a month if not 1,5 months so how it is ?
Is this all your cry of Maurice based on that Jukka Jalonen didn't get coaching job for Panthers?
I'm waiting.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I hate how the season is going, but you have to wonder when as a franchise we’ll get some stability behind the bench. It’s been a revolving door forever now. I think Maurice will get at least next year to turn the ship around for that reason alone.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Serious questions for you.
Should've Zito hired Jukka Jalonen panthers head coach instead of Paul Maurice?
even with that risk it would've cost for Zito his job if Jalonen would've failed as Maurice is doing now.

You've whined here of Maurice at least a month if not 1,5 months so how it is ?
Is this all your cry of Maurice based on that Jukka Jalonen didn't get coaching job for Panthers?
I'm waiting.

Where on earth did this come from?

I never once thought Jalonen should be hired or would even get consideration.

My money would have been on Cassidy 1st.

& Maurice is free to change my view on him.
Just hasn’t happened

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
You seem to be sticking to “because there are other issues, we cannot hold one accountable.”

You can say the roster is clearly worse, and for that we look towards Zito. But can you honestly say the roster is that much worse? Furthermore, what makes you think we are missing Duclair? I think the very point of the criticism of Maurice is… just you wait, Duclair will be back and he will look like a heaping pile of shit in this system. Kinda like how Barkov and Lundell and Ekblad all look like shit. Verhaeghe looks fine because he’s got some serious lone wolf power when need be, but otherwise we are seeing the rise of grinding and the abandonment of skill.
Nowhere did I say one can’t be held accountable. I think it’s important to note the factors that can make some of these comparisons not as objective as some seem to think they are. Further, I agreed the team in general looks worse and looks defeated.

Reactions: pantherbot

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
So… what is it that we are asking for here? Aside from the obvious of stop playing Staal. What changes would you like to see in the style of play? Try to be as descriptive as possible.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Those teams are deeper than we are this year, it's not a true comparison.

Toronto has legit star power that we don't have. Boston has much better depth. They both are getting better goaltending than we are, especially Boston.

You can't just say 'oh those are excuses' and not look at things in context. There's no point discussing this if that's the line of thinking. Why something is happening matters.

I can buy the thinking that Maurice is mediocre, I haven't been impressed yet, but the players need to be better and Maurice isn't the reason we're out of a playoff spot right now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Those teams are deeper than we are this year, it's not a true comparison.

Toronto has legit star power that we don't have. Boston has much better depth. They both are getting better goaltending than we are, especially Boston.

You can't just say 'oh those are excuses' and not look at things in context. There's no point discussing this if that's the line of thinking. Why something is happening matters.

I can buy the thinking that Maurice is mediocre, I haven't been impressed yet, but the players need to be better and Maurice isn't the reason we're out of a playoff spot right now.

You don’t have star power???

Ekblad& Forsling would be the 2 best Dmen on the current Toronto roster by a country mile, or atleast should be.

& where have I said that’s the only thing?

& could coaching play a part on why the team isn’t looking too good or why players aren’t looking that great?
Do you think with Trotz the team would look like this? He got absolutely everything out of those Islanders rosters. Cassidy turned around a mess and are looking like a legit threat for West. Jets, Boston the same

I’m not saying Maurice is the worst coach in the league but I’m saying I don’t think he’s a Stanley Cup level coach and was Zitos biggest mistake

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Ekblad& Forsling would be the 2 best Dmen on the current Toronto roster by a country mile, or atleast should be.

& could coaching play a part on why the team isn’t looking too good or why players aren’t looking that great?
Do you think with Trotz the team would look like this? He got absolutely everything out of those Islanders rosters. Cassidy turned around a mess and are looking like a legit threat for West. Jets, Boston the same

I’m not saying Maurice is the worst coach in the league but I’m saying I don’t think he’s a Stanley Cup level coach and was Zitos biggest mistake

uhm...you can't seriously be arguing that Toronto doesn't have more star power. Matthews is already in the conversation to be one of the best scorers ever. Marner's had like a 20 game point streak. Any of our guys match that at all?

Ekblad SHOULD be one of the best dmen, but there's no way in his current form he would be.

No I don't think Maurice could get Barkov out of his baby mama drama and avoid pneumonia or prevent Ekblad from getting hurt or help Bob be more consistent.

Cassidy isn't the main reason why Vegas has improved, that's being disingenuous. How about they aren't dealing with like a million injuries? Having a healthy Stone and Eichel are probably the bigger factors contributing to their success this year.

Trotz wasn't a Stanley Cup level coach until he was given a stacked roster with a generational goal scorer, and btw his Islanders sucked and missed the playoffs because of injuries. Cassidy got fired because he couldn't get Boston over the hump with a stacked roster, so why is he being viewed as a Stanley Cup level coach? Even Quenneville had a losing playoff record before he won with Chicago.

I don't think you can properly assess if Maurice is the right guy yet given the context around this early season. The jury's still out. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't, but its way too early to judge that.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017

I'm not even sure Ekblad cracks the top 4 -- if we're being honest -- on the Panthers right now.

Guy is not right.

Reactions: Vilam and KW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad