The Paul Maurice Pitchfork Thread (MOD Warning Post #1)

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Leading off with a comment like this is discrediting to anything else you said thereafter.

Because...? I'm not attacking him, just making a comment that I think his arguments are a stretch and then I go on to explain exactly why I think that's the case. I go into specific detail on why the arguments being made about Maurice don't make sense instead of just broad generalizations about how he sucks.

The new ChatGPT AI bot serving up some truth:

View attachment 615761

I have no idea what that is and the new AI developments scare the shit out of me, but that's one smart chatbot.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I don't want to use Maurice as a scapegoat, but I also don't agree with excuse "they're just not that good". Advanced metrics show that they still have lot of talent to be around the best teams in the league. They were lucky last year, but they absolutely deserved President's trophy. That team had excellent depth and offense was definitely historic good.

I don't mean to say they aren't good, but more that last year's team simply had more depth and we lost a lot of those pieces. Other teams also have an abundance of talent and it is hard for us to match what a Colorado, Tampa or even Boston can ice, we just aren't there this year given our cap situation and this being a transition year.

We still have a good solid team that I think is underperforming what they should be able to achieve, mainly because goaltending has disappointed and some of our top players have played below their usual standard for reasons that are not related to coaching - Reinhart not finishing, Barkov's issues, Ek's injury.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Barkov doesn’t make them go from 1-3-3 to 5-2 or something…He doesn’t turn 1 win into 5 or more so even with Barkov, mayyybe they are 2-2-3 or 3-2-2 at the very most .

It also sends a pretty clear message to rest of team that it’s okay to lose when Barkov is not playing and that the standard is lower.

Don’t think for a second that the players don’t hear that

No, but Barkov is a big part of that and the goaltending has let them down. Again, these were throwaway comments that players don't care about. If this was some important press conference after a big game or maybe if there was some really controversial topic or something, then sure players may pay attention to interview comments, but otherwise it's all just fluff to us. Maurice rarely mentions the goalies, but it's obviously a big issue. These comments don't usually reflect what is actually going on with the team.

See I don't get it. On the one hand, Maurice haters will say how he's only good at doing interviews, but being well-spoken in front of a mic doesn't mean anything. On the other hand, some comment made after a game in November is being dissected and treated like he's disrespecting the team? Either the public comments matter or they don't. Make up your mind.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
pittsburgh , Carolina , Tampa - all teams Florida is chasing- won tonight

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Still doesn't matter in the playoffs. We have seen this before

Get in and go from there

This is such nonsense. This idea that “nothing matters until the playoffs.” It’s some toxic imagination that your season performance means nothing. Facts (numbers) greatly disagree with you.

Edit for clarity: over 80% of cup winners are the 1/2/3 seed. Over the past 5 Stanley cups, for each team the winner defeated and the runner up defeated to get to the finals (34 series), only 6 times did the winner have a sub-50% points percentage against that team. One of those six were the finals themselves (Washington over Vegas). Two were in the irregular 2021 season featuring messy schedules and Carey Price carrying a team on his back.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
We need to learn to beat Tampa. Not because it’s necessarily the path we must take but because of confidence. This doesn’t mean we need to beat Tampa every time. All it means is that the team can truly approach it like any other team they can beat. Right now Tampa pretty much knows that if they need to beat us, they will. We need to put doubt in the minds of Vasy, Kuch, Hedman, Stammer.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Fans of other teams: you’re welcome to comment in this thread if you have a meaningful value-add contribution. What won’t be tolerated is fans coming in to provide inflammatory crap-posts on how Maurice is the worst coach ever. If this is your intent, don’t bother because these types of posts will be deleted.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I am officially on the PoMo hate train now after tonight's Tampa game.

Reasons are:
- holding on to E Staal (this guy will have over 60 games this year which is ridiculous. Our team never manages to get out of the D zone when the opposing team has the puck, because he is always 2 sreps behind his guy, so somebody is always open for the cycle)
- ice time management/shortening the benches: take the most balanced offense in the league and just play 14 players... and keep all the guys that scored in the prior game off the ice!!!!
- panic move by challenging last night's 3-1 goal: one of the saddest things I have seen a coach do. Zero chance of getting the call, plus taking 2 mins away from us by putting us shorthanded to get back into the game. What was the point of that?!? Cry of desperation?!?

I have not seen one single thing that this guy has done well so far. Even his press interviews re getting ridiculous (when praying for Barky to come back so we have a chance to win...).

Thanks, I am done with that guy for the rest of the season. If we still make the POs it will not be thanks to his coaching skills

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I am officially on the PoMo hate train now after tonight's Tampa game.

Reasons are:
- holding on to E Staal (this guy will have over 60 games this year which is ridiculous. Our team never manages to get out of the D zone when the opposing team has the puck, because he is always 2 sreps behind his guy, so somebody is always open for the cycle)
- ice time management/shortening the benches: take the most balanced offense in the league and just play 14 players... and keep all the guys that scored in the prior game off the ice!!!!
- panic move by challenging last night's 3-1 goal: one of the saddest things I have seen a coach do. Zero chance of getting the call, plus taking 2 mins away from us by putting us shorthanded to get back into the game. What was the point of that?!? Cry of desperation?!?

I have not seen one single thing that this guy has done well so far. Even his press interviews re getting ridiculous (when praying for Barky to come back so we have a chance to win...).

Thanks, I am done with that guy for the rest of the season. If we still make the POs it will not be thanks to his coaching skills
I didn’t mind his challenge. Shittier calls have been overturned. I guess it’s not good to do it against the NHLs darling.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I didn’t mind his challenge. Shittier calls have been overturned. I guess it’s not good to do it against the NHLs darling.
Don't agree. If it is that obvious it is just plain stupid, and costs us a penalty and a time out. Of course it is not a season deciding game, so things can be tried out. But if this is the train of thought and logic to be followed I gotta question it

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I had an open mind. I tried to keep that open mind. Now I’ve had enough. Fire him. Can we pay Trotz enough to give up the good life and come coach the Panthers? Maybe we can show him those pretty reverse retros and sell him on the sunshine. Whatever it takes to get this guy out of here.

This team is essentially made to order to fit into a Trotz system.

Great8Cam

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2008
I had an open mind. I tried to keep that open mind. Now I’ve had enough. Fire him. Can we pay Trotz enough to give up the good life and come coach the Panthers? Maybe we can show him those pretty reverse retros and sell him on the sunshine. Whatever it takes to get this guy out of here.

This team is essentially made to order to fit into a Trotz system.
I was just like you and I didn’t think he would be anything other than good, not great, but good for the team. But his love affair with E stall gets him a kick in the ass on the way out.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Mo also broke up the Benny Chucky Swaggy line last night. I mean who wants to continue with success, right?
Success is for wussies. Champions are made from defeat!! Lose your way to the Cup!

Reactions: braunm

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Caveat this with personnel changes.

It’s tough to look at those 2 teams and not see what they have in common

They were the best regular season team last year and are currently 11th in the East.
Then you look at the Jets underachieving for years and once Maurice leaves they are at the top of the Central.

Losing Weegar can’t be the only explanation and has nothing to do with the change in Winnipeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad