The Paul Maurice Pitchfork Thread (MOD Warning Post #1)

Great8Cam

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2008
Reino was terrible on the draw but Bennett is terrible at draws and his tie up attempt was terrible. Matthew Tkachuk and Ekblad should NEVER be on the ice in OT together. I’d almsot argue Ekblad should never be on the ice period in OT.
Forsling and Montour are the only 2 who should be playing in OT, Ekblad sucks at skating and he is a liability in OT if he doesn’t stay near the blue line

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Tkachuck fell but he was back there with one oiler who didn’t jump in the play at the other end. There were 2 back with the oilers
Nope, disagree. MT fell when chasing the Dman which allowed the Dman to lift up his head and look for the stretch pass. Bennett was backchecking but on the opposition's blueline when Draisaitl received the pass at the redline - where MacD also was - while Ek was on our blueline. Clear cut 2-on-1

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Not directed at you, but I can't stand egghead takes like this.

It's an emotional game, and this team has about as much fire out there as a sack of carrots. Paul Maurice absolutely doesn't know how to manage people.
JFresh is an idiot and doesn’t know shit about hockey. He literally humps his software program. Who cares about this clown.

Reactions: Vilam

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Not to defend PoMo at all, but who else was available before we got him? Would an unknown have pleased our base? Would an unproven AHL/minors coach have pleased us as well?
Cassidy, who is doing great in Vegas? Montgomery, who has Boston in first place? Or keep Brunette- the Devils are surprisingly good after sucking for years under Ruff.

The fanbase would be pleased if we were winning. The GM's job is to build a winning team; if that means upsetting the fanbase for a couple months, then go ahead and upset them.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Cassidy, who is doing great in Vegas? Montgomery, who has Boston in first place? Or keep Brunette- the Devils are surprisingly good after sucking for years under Ruff.

The fanbase would be pleased if we were winning. The GM's job is to build a winning team; if that means upsetting the fanbase for a couple months, then go ahead and upset them.

Also Torts, who Zito should of known during his time in C-Bus.

Maybe they didn't see eye to eye there. Small shelf life before he goes stale, but hell he does get results/hold players accountable.

Reactions: 16Skippy

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares

Cassidy was hired by Vegas like almost a month before we hired Maurice. So he was off the list. Again, my question was who was available before we hired Maurice.

Did anyone really have Montgomery on the list or wanted him here? Seems like you just penciled him in due to the current unexpected success. I don’t remember anyone mentioning his name at all. Dude only coached one season before in the NHL and was fired for misconduct….

The Devils are all the sudden not good because of Brunnette and the fan base wanted him gone, most of us were happy Zito let him go. I mean he’s their PP coach if I’m not mistaken not even assistant…all of us laugh at the notion of Brunnette coaching the pp given last season… again, seems disingenuous to name him now and say we should’ve kept him. Same with mentioning Montgomery.

Also Torts, who Zito should of known during his time in C-Bus.

Maybe they didn't see eye to eye there. Small shelf life before he goes stale, but hell he does get results/hold players accountable.
Torts was also hired before we hired Maurice so he wasn’t an option.

Granted that definitely doesn’t mean that Torts didn’t interview or that Zito just didn’t consider him at all ever.

Last edited:

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008

Granted that definitely doesn’t mean that Torts didn’t interview or that Zito just didn’t consider him at all ever.

Yea, didn't seem like there was that much news on Torts and Panthers but Zito had all offseason to decide on if to keep Bruno or go another way. Torts was at ESPN the entire 21-22 season so it's not like he was fired by X team and then immediately signed by the Flyers 3 days later.

Reactions: Team Bring It

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Cassidy was hired by Vegas like almost a month before we hired Maurice. So he was off the list. Again, my question was who was available before we hired Maurice.

Did anyone really have Montgomery on the list or wanted him here? Seems like you just penciled him in due to the current unexpected success. I don’t remember anyone mentioning his name at all. Dude only coached one season before in the NHL and was fired for misconduct….

The Devils are all the sudden not good because of Brunnette and the fan base wanted him gone, most of us were happy Zito let him go. I mean he’s their PP coach if I’m not mistaken not even assistant…all of us laugh at the notion of Brunnette coaching the pp given last season… again, seems disingenuous to name him now and say we should’ve kept him. Same with mentioning Montgomery.

Cassidy was hired on June 6, ca. two weeks after we were eliminated; it was a short window, but it was there. And yes, Montgomery was one of the names mentioned as a potential new HC. He was fired for alcohol abuse - not great, but he went into rehab and has presumably been sober the past two years.
32% of us wanted Brunette to stay (rather than hire Maurice). Sure, that's not a majority, but it's not an insignificant number either.
Tortorella was hired nearly a month after we were eliminated. If we had wanted him, there was enough time to hired him before he was nabbed.

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
Yea, didn't seem like there was that much news on Torts and Panthers but Zito had all offseason to decide on if to keep Bruno or go another way. Torts was at ESPN the entire 21-22 season so it's not like he was fired by X team and then immediately signed by the Flyers 3 days later.
Indeed, seems like Zito delayed letting Brunnette go. Took a month between exiting the playoffs and announcing everything including the PoMo hire. I do remember in an interview after exiting that he was going to go back and review asses bla bla as we know he’s a methodical guy but sometimes gotta move fast with this sort of things and go with your gut instincts and what you were already leaning towards. Although, to his credit, he is capable of doing that as well like we saw with the Tkachuk trade.

Anyway, something to also consider is that teams like Philly and Vegas didn’t make the playoffs so they had ample time to think and focus their time on finding their next coach.

Reactions: ShootIt

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
Barkov wouldn't be skipping games to deal with baby mama drama if Torts was here; that garbage would never be tolerated.
What I find interesting is, that even if indeed it is some baby momma issues, why not just say “out of personal reasons”, why an illness? Could be Barkov requested it this way. I dunno

Reactions: Vilam

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
Cassidy was hired on June 6, ca. two weeks after we were eliminated; it was a short window, but it was there. And yes, Montgomery was one of the names mentioned as a potential new HC. He was fired for alcohol abuse - not great, but he went into rehab and has presumably been sober the past two years.
32% of us wanted Brunette to stay (rather than hire Maurice). Sure, that's not a majority, but it's not an insignificant number either.
Tortorella was hired nearly a month after we were eliminated. If we had wanted him, there was enough time to hired him before he was nabbed.
As I mentioned in my response to ShootIt, teams like Vegas and Philly didn’t make the playoffs, they had a head start in review and interview processes. Zito also delayed the whole thing he did mentioned he wasn’t going to make any rash decisions for better or worse that was his approach. Well if you’re going to say 32% is significant then we need to stop bringing Cassidy and Torts up, again, they weren’t available by the time we announced PoMo. So, I guess that leaves Montgomery.. yeah not many options out there for Zito then.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Here’s the missed window by Zito and probably one of his bigger mistakes.

Cassidy, Monty, Torts >> Mo > Bruno.

Having to settle for Mo wasn’t a good choice. Yes, it’s Monday morning quarterbacking but I admit now that in retrospect giving Bruno a one year deal might have been the thing to do… but maybe Zito offered that. The bigger problem was missing out on the better choices.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
If Bob doesn't have a dumpster fire save percentage, and we therefore have another 3-4 wins, would this thread be active?

I wouldn't say Maurice has been amazing and he makes weird personnel decisions sometimes that I disagree with, but our team game hasn't been that bad overall. It's not perfect, but no team is. If not for Bob's shitty goaltending, we'd be 3rd in the Atlantic.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
If Bob doesn't have a dumpster fire save percentage, and we therefore have another 3-4 wins, would this thread be active?

I wouldn't say Maurice has been amazing and he makes weird personnel decisions sometimes that I disagree with, but our team game hasn't been that bad overall. It's not perfect, but no team is. If not for Bob's shitty goaltending, we'd be 3rd in the Atlantic.
This is where I’m at. His system isn’t bad, but some of his decisions, like Staal, OT with slow shits (being the two egregious ones) are f***ing hurting us bad. Staal is a nothing player, he exists on the ice with 0 game impact and is a liability. He sucks. Also Ekblad needs to go down in the lineup. He has been absolutely brutal since coming back. He sucks defensively, can’t handle a puck, lose the puck constantly on the PP. You have Forsling and Montour on the PP, use them.

Reactions: pantherbot

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
We need a coach with experience. Someone who will lock it down!!!!!!

hahahahaha. Hilarious how quickly HF, Reddit and Twitter have done a 180 on coaching.

Most people got exactly what they wanted. Here you go! Enjoy 15+ mins of Eric+Marc a night.
nope we just wanted a coach that didn't suck and would make adjustments not this.

I am on the record of never wanting Paul Maurice.

I am on the record of being a selfish fan and not wanting to fire coach q

yes please

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Not to defend PoMo at all, but who else was available before we got him? Would an unknown have pleased our base? Would an unproven AHL/minors coach have pleased us as well?
cassidy was the guy you target. we didnt target

Barkov wouldn't be skipping games to deal with baby mama drama if Torts was here; that garbage would never be tolerated.
did any internet sleuths find out if this is true

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
did any internet sleuths find out if this is true

Basically the mysterious illness is probably legit given how the team is communicating about it and nobody else has caught wind of it not being legit, but it's weird they won't just say what he has. Also unlikely he'd have to take time off to deal with any custody issues.

However, Barkov is in a custody battle for paternal rights to his son and there is a lot of smoke regarding his relationship being less than ideal with the baby mama. Wouldn't be surprised this has weighed on him and at least partially contributed to his early-season struggles.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I bet Cassidy would have loved to coach in Florida.

The team was pretty much set and ready to contend for multiple years.

It’s on Zito for taking so long to make the decision.
No one else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad