The Paul Maurice Pitchfork Thread (MOD Warning Post #1)

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I appreciate your post and I agree that you've got a point, however, I just want to nitpick slightly here and be a huge dipshit for doing so:

I really dislike how 'high danger' chances are calculated. For instance, let's say that a puck rebounds into the slot and a player takes a whack at it. There might be 4 bodies stacked up, making it completely impossible to get the puck on the net... but it doesn't matter, that's still a 'high danger' scoring chance.

Also, when you're shooting the puck 2 feet wide of the net or directly into the goalie's chest (a problem for everyone on this team not named Verhaeghe right now), then that's also a little misleading.

I still think this line of thinking is trying to find problems to complain about with Maurice. Even if they are just taking a bunch of low quality chances, we're a top-5 team in goals. I don't really get why this is such a problem except that maybe it's not as pretty and fun as last year's historic offense.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I still think this line of thinking is trying to find problems to complain about with Maurice. Even if they are just taking a bunch of low quality chances, we're a top-5 team in goals. I don't really get why this is such a problem except that maybe it's not as pretty and fun as last year's historic offense.
They are not getting the results.

How long do we have to wait? Their hockey careers are eroding like the beach they live on.

Enough with excuses.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
They are not getting the results.

How long do we have to wait? Their hockey careers are eroding like the beach they live on.

Enough with excuses.

And that's because of bad goaltending, not because of bad offense or defense or anything Maurice can really control.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I appreciate your post and I agree that you've got a point, however, I just want to nitpick slightly here and be a huge dipshit for doing so:

I really dislike how 'high danger' chances are calculated. For instance, let's say that a puck rebounds into the slot and a player takes a whack at it. There might be 4 bodies stacked up, making it completely impossible to get the puck on the net... but it doesn't matter, that's still a 'high danger' scoring chance.

Also, when you're shooting the puck 2 feet wide of the net or directly into the goalie's chest (a problem for everyone on this team not named Verhaeghe right now), then that's also a little misleading.
If that's you being a dipshit, you might be the nicest person I've interacted with on the internet.

All stats are a simplification of "watch the tapes a couple of times to catch all the details". So it won't paint a perfect picture, but it should be able to tell a good story without being misleading. All teams every year have these poor HDchances, so over the course of a year, it balances out.

I presume you think we are bad to mediocre at converting our HDchances, I do too. And you'd be right, we are 15th. So yes, seeing so many poor opportunities and missed golden opportunities is seared in our frontal cortex, but still, we are 2nd in HDgoals.

That's less obvious, but if we think about it, it makes sense. We are abyssal overall in SH%, but we are above average in GF, so we must be great at something else, and that's generating gritty/garbage/rebound/deflection opportunities.

I don't disagree that this strategy seems pointless and it's annoying at time, but I like seeing Tkachuk somehow scoring 1 feet away from the goalie.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
And that's because of bad goaltending, not because of bad offense or defense or anything Maurice can really control.
Oh yeah he can control it by not playing Bob unless Knight passes out. Results is what matters, not bs excuses.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC

To add to this, I’m also not a fan of silly assumptions that low shooting percentage implies you’re unlucky. After a full season, there’s a variability in shooting percentage for both players and teams alike. Now, that doesn’t mean we aren’t anomalous at the moment, but it also doesn’t mean our low shooting percentage isn’t a product of play style. This is a fundamentally flawed correlation = causation argument. Peripheral statistics don’t mean squat at the end of the season.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Offense is inside the top 10 for GF/G, he deserves some credit for managing the expected goals per game loss with offseason changes. It's likely just down .5 goals a game right now from last yeae and we were never likely to repeat 4+ a game.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Offense is inside the top 10 for GF/G, he deserves some credit for managing the expected goals per game loss with offseason changes. It's likely just down .5 goals a game right now from last yeae and we were never likely to repeat 4+ a game.
Tonight he deserves some credit so far for keeping the Blues off the score board in the second period.

ETA: let’s see what happens with the third period though…

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I mean I’m really starting to get irritated he plays Staal. Marc I kind of get and he kind of blows but Eric is just god awful. I’m convinced Reaves is a better hockey player than him.
ES is like ET without the charm or skills. Yeah, f Mo. Tonight’s collapse is the worst I’ve felt since… Tampa series 1 and 2.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
On pace for 90 points.

I hope we suddenly improve and make the playoffs, but I don't have much faith there. Right now, I'm in the camp of "fire Maurice at the end of the year and get someone competent".

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
On pace for 90 points.

I hope we suddenly improve and make the playoffs, but I don't have much faith there. Right now, I'm in the camp of "fire Maurice at the end of the year and get someone competent".

I undestand them taking a step back but 30 points?
While they’ve been able to stay healthy relative to competition.

Myself included basically all here were against Brunette and thought the roster was carrying him.
Yet even pre trade deadline additions they were rolling at 120 point pace.

& Maurice was supposed to be a better coach and are fighting for a WC spot.

This roster is way too talented to be in this close of a race for WC spot

Anyone who watches or watched his record in Winnipeg they were underachiaving with that roster and add all the other issues he allowed to develop.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Everyone here is learning why I wanted to keep Bruno.

This game is a prime difference between last year and this year. Up by 3-4 last year? Score more. Shoot more. Keep your foot on the gas. Give one up? Go score 3.

This year? Better turtle up and hold the lead! Gotta play boring hockey! Our vets will hold it down!

We went from the most entertaining team in the league and in franchise history to.... this.

The second we missed out on Cassidy, we should have handed Bruno a 2-year extension. Easier to work with a known quantity than a dinosaur stuck in their ways.

Zito has made some bad moves, but this one could end up costing his job in a couple years.

Great8Cam

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2008
3 years at 3.9 per. Maurice is not going anywhere.

I believe that he is definitely the reason we signed that complete loser E Staal. This is so stupid to sign him when we had Rudy. We also had Dalpe, who is light years ahead of that plug Staal.

Kiersted, although not good, is also light years better than M Staal.

Viola cannot be happy with Zito.

Reactions: slurpee addict

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida

This game is a prime difference between last year and this year. Up by 3-4 last year? Score more. Shoot more. Keep your foot on the gas. Give one up? Go score 3.

This year? Better turtle up and hold the lead! Gotta play boring hockey! Our vets will hold it down!

We went from the most entertaining team in the league and in franchise history to.... this.

The second we missed out on Cassidy, we should have handed Bruno a 2-year extension. Easier to work with a known quantity than a dinosaur stuck in their ways.

Zito has made some bad moves, but this one could end up costing his job in a couple years.
I wanted Cassidy and Montgomery. Maurice was third on my list but Jesus Christ his love for the Staals and veterans is becoming increasingly irritating.

Reactions: slurpee addict

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How did that charlatan get $3.9M per year.

Because he’s a great talker and lot of people like him just because of that.

Lot of Florida fans felt confident in him after hearing him speak, he knows how to say the right things. Yet he did the same in Winnipeg yet the results never followed up.

So he’s an easy buy

The options shouldn’t have been just Maurice or Brunette though.

Cassidy would have been lights out hire

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC

We the people are sorry, sounds like you were right. For the record, I never said anything on the topic (but I read the conversations). I didn’t want him to leave, but I think in hindsight I’d be a more ardent proponent of him staying put.

I can’t believe we were duped regarding “playoff hockey” before we ever really learned to love winning.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Idk, I’m of the opinion that we shouldn’t be comparing to last year’s team - aka a year where we had an offense that the league hasn’t seen in 25+ years.

We were never going to hold a candle to last year’s offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad