The Paul Maurice Pitchfork Thread (MOD Warning Post #1)

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Idk, I’m of the opinion that we shouldn’t be comparing to last year’s team - aka a year where we had an offense that the league hasn’t seen in 25+ years.

We were never going to hold a candle to last year’s offense.
why not? Was Mason Marchment the catalyst of that offense?

Anyways, the offense is hardly the only issue. Special teams is clearly #1. It was also our worst issue in “playoff hockey.”

Reactions: hn777

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
We the people are sorry, sounds like you were right. For the record, I never said anything on the topic (but I read the conversations). I didn’t want him to leave, but I think in hindsight I’d be a more ardent proponent of him staying put.

I can’t believe we were duped regarding “playoff hockey” before we ever really learned to love winning.

It's the new 5 year blueprint PR bs. Maurice is what he has always been, Zito made a bad decision and that was their justification. Any time they try to fit expectations into a narrow window of what they want to be they are going to fail. Success is organic, you never know exactly what it's going to look like. Zito wanted us to be like Tampa, well that was dumb. Only Tampa is Tampa, only Tampa is going to win like Tampa. Every team that wins the Cup is different, and trying to pigeonhole yourself into a particular mold is never going to work.

They didn't need a coach would would turn them into something else, they needed a coach who would play to the team's strengths and take advantage of the qualities that make the Panthers the Panthers. Brunette was seemingly better at doing that than Maurice has been. This could end up being a massive failure for Zito.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We are still better than 4 teams in our division, we will make the playoffs no doubt.

They’ll probably make it but the odds are far worse than thought in the pre season.

Those WC spots are going to be under a battle and I’d put money on Rangers adding big time during the season

Reactions: harv33173

Chaos2k7

2024 Stanley Cup Champions! 🏆
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
We have been playing better than our record, if we get even average goaltending early this season, we are not even having this discussion, special teams look better, with few injuries knock on wood I think we could be the 3rd seed.

If not for the presidents trophy clouding object thinking, us being the third seed even last year would have been considered a rousing success, if we can do that this year with all the turn over it should be considered the same, we are reloading and are still relevant.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Drive the loser coach out of town. Take a homeless guy off the street.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
1669749711879.png

1669749841749.png

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016

Is our offense underperforming relative to expectation and talent level, but id say its more our PP than our general offense considering we are still ranked 11th in overall g/gp. The rest of our team stats such as pp, pk% and GA are ranked in the bottom half of the league.

Our PK and GA has a lot to do with our lack of defensive depth as well, which is more the fault of our GM than players, but our PP still needs to step it up several notches despite the noticeable improvement.

And of course our goaltending (more specifically bob) has reverted back to being abysmal

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
That 4th line and his love for some vets for sure has played a part in their early season struggles
I would agree. I don’t even hate his system as much. It’s the fact you have plugs like Eric Staal getting games and his OT decisions are f***ing stupid as f***. I’ll give him credit for riding Knight. But that the f*** are you doing putting Bennett in the hardest draw of the night. Put Luos god out there you dipshit.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I would agree. I don’t even hate his system as much. It’s the fact you have plugs like Eric Staal getting games and his OT decisions are f***ing stupid as f***. I’ll give him credit for riding Knight. But that the f*** are you doing putting Bennett in the hardest draw of the night. Put Luos god out there you dipshit.
What hardest draw are you talking about? He actually won the draw with 7 seconds left! Rhino was too far away from Bouchard!

He lost the one starting OT, but not his fault when MT falls down so the 2 best scorers of the league get to go on a 2-on-1

Reactions: iam76

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
What hardest draw are you talking about? He actually won the draw with 7 seconds left! Rhino was too far away from Bouchard!

He lost the one starting OT, but not his fault when MT falls down so the 2 best scorers of the league get to go on a 2-on-1
Reino was terrible on the draw but Bennett is terrible at draws and his tie up attempt was terrible. Matthew Tkachuk and Ekblad should NEVER be on the ice in OT together. I’d almsot argue Ekblad should never be on the ice period in OT.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Reino was terrible on the draw but Bennett is terrible at draws and his tie up attempt was terrible. Matthew Tkachuk and Ekblad should NEVER be on the ice in OT together. I’d almsot argue Ekblad should never be on the ice period in OT.
Everything is true.
But even with Bennett's below-average FO stats, he does not deserve the blame. PoMo does

Reactions: Great8Cam

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Everything is true.
But even with Bennett's below-average FO stats, he does not deserve the blame. PoMo does
I’m honestly just nitpicking but if I want someone to take an important draw it’s Luos or Barky. Just super intelligent players. Maurice is forcing squares into triangle holes and not playing guys to their strengths.

Reactions: austropanther

Great8Cam

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2008

Tkachuck fell but he was back there with one oiler who didn’t jump in the play at the other end. There were 2 back with the oilers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad