The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Canucks board is pissed about this trade, especially after the Prust-Kassian fiasco. Seems like Benning just loves throwing picks onto deals. Anyway.

Pittsburgh's really top heavily offensively and super thin defensively... We're really top heavy defensively and meh offensively.. Wonder if there's a deal to be made in the not so distant future (I'm looking at you, Emelin and Gilbert)

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Canucks board is pissed about this trade, especially after the Prust-Kassian fiasco. Seems like Benning just loves throwing picks onto deals. Anyway.

Pittsburgh's really top heavily offensively and super thin defensively... We're really top heavy defensively and meh offensively.. Wonder if there's a deal to be made in the not so distant future (I'm looking at you, Emelin and Gilbert)

Both teams do have compatible needs. Semin's signing made ours a bit less pressing though and I'd like us to keep a top 9 spot open for the pro ready prospects to battle for. If we can put one of our bottom 6 forwards in the deal, packaged with let's say Emelin, then targeting Perron might be a good idea. We don't really have a player his style and he'd make the inevitable DD departure more palatable for the media.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I like Bonino a lot more than Sutter.

Two solid additions for Pittsburgh today, if they didn't trade away Despres I'd like their team a lot for next year but unfortunately they did, what an awful trade.

The Despres trade was such a bad trade. I could not believe it when they announced it. To me Lovejoy has always been a borderline AHL dman. I still can't believe a NHL caliber GM made this trade.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's nothing new

Actually pens always had bad 3rd and 4th lines. Their 3rd line will be good this year with Fehr, Bonino and Plotnikov/Dupuis and if they can sign Lapierre for a 1 year i want to win the cup deal then the 4th line wont be bad too.

Let's not forget when they won the cup Malkin was playing with Fedotenko and too old Satan/Sykora if i remember well.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Pittsburgh aren't top heavy offensively. They have plenty of depth and scoring ability from top to bottom. Maybe they were top heavy a few years ago... But with Kessel, Hornqvist, Kunitz, Perron, Dupuis, Bonino, Fehr, Plotnikov on top of Crosby and Malkin, that's just depth on all levels.

Their defense isn't sexy, but a healthy Letang and Maata would go a long way for them. Pouliot could establish himself as a top 4 as soon as next season as well... But at the end of the day, having this many question marks on defense, and MAF between the posts, very well might cause their downfall come postseason.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Benning is easily the worst GM in the league. In a vacuum Bonino is better than Sutter. So he adds the better pick AND a decent prospect.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
OXqhAxw.png

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Pittsburgh aren't top heavy offensively. They have plenty of depth and scoring ability from top to bottom. Maybe they were top heavy a few years ago... But with Kessel, Hornqvist, Kunitz, Perron, Dupuis, Bonino, Fehr, Plotnikov on top of Crosby and Malkin, that's just depth on all levels.

Their defense isn't sexy, but a healthy Letang and Maata would go a long way for them. Pouliot could establish himself as a top 4 as soon as next season as well... But at the end of the day, having this many question marks on defense, and MAF between the posts, very well might cause their downfall come postseason.

There's no guarantee Plotkinov is even an NHLer. Same goes for Fehr, we all saw what happened the last time he left Washington. Could just be a case like Gomez in New Jersey where he can't play anywhere else. Not to mention Dupuis and Kunitz have degraded massively, Dupuis not even being an NHLer anymore possibly due to injury.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Pittsburgh is definitely all in this year. If they don't win or go to the finals, I think Malkin is gone and from what he said, Montreal is the only team he'd want to play for other than Pittsburgh.

Dream come true, Montreal vs. Pittsburgh in the ECF, we win go to the finals and trade for Malkin in the off season and become perennial cup contenders for years to come :yo:
Ok maybe far out but that's what dreams are for!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Pittsburgh is definitely all in this year. If they don't win or go to the finals, I think Malkin is gone and from what he said, Montreal is the only team he'd want to play for other than Pittsburgh.

Dream come true, Montreal vs. Pittsburgh in the ECF, we win go to the finals and trade for Malkin in the off season and become perennial cup contenders for years to come :yo:
Ok maybe far out but that's what dreams are for!

Their D is way too weak to make it to the conference finals imo

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I don't mind this trade pens/canucks trade on the surface.

The larger picture is more concerning for a canucks fan. They are coming off a good season, so you could understand if they just tried to improve upon what they have. That was certainly the impression they gave last season, otherwise, they wouldn't sign Miller and vrbata.

But what happened one year later? You trade bieksa for draft pick. Okay, maybe you want to start a rebuild, but wait, you traded kassian for a vet, and you are sticking with Miller and trading lack.

What's the message here? The canucks should choose one general direction, and stick with it.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Bergevin should be on the phone with Benning trying to trade Emelin, Gilbert and Desharnais for Vrbata, Edler and a 2nd.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
5.5 AAV 6 years for Couturier? Am I missing something here? My goodness.

4.33/6 years.

Lars Eller makes 3.5 and Couturier put up better numbers.

Benning is easily the worst GM in the league. In a vacuum Bonino is better than Sutter. So he adds the better pick AND a decent prospect.

A Sutter is being overrated, anyone surprised?

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
There's no guarantee Plotkinov is even an NHLer. Same goes for Fehr, we all saw what happened the last time he left Washington. Could just be a case like Gomez in New Jersey where he can't play anywhere else. Not to mention Dupuis and Kunitz have degraded massively, Dupuis not even being an NHLer anymore possibly due to injury.

Fehr has been a consistent NHLer for like 10 years and has had consistent production outside of one shortened season. Last time, you mean the one time he wasnt in washington.

Just like Gomez? Oh boy. Gomez even had a one good year in mtl and good seasons in nyr. Ludicrous statement that he couldnt play any where but jersey

PricePkPatch*

Hmm...

What is happening with Franson? Is he as bad as some people say he is? How much do you think he will end up getting paid?

..do you think we would have been a better team if the Gorges trade had happened?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
And Here's another "best candidate we missed" that doesn't look too good so far....Jim Benning. Geez, he was even one of my candidates...but his work has been underwhelming so far. Just another proof that "best candidate no matter the language" isn't as clear cut as some want it to be....

PricePkPatch*

And Here's another "best candidate we missed" that doesn't look too good so far....Jim Benning. Geez, he was even one of my candidates...but his work has been underwhelming so far. Just another proof that "best candidate no matter the language" isn't as clear cut as some want it to be....

Bergevin literally broke the trade deadline paradigm last year.

This year, he ran away with the single best bargain of the bunch.

He managed to acquire a few high-potential prospects and projects at minimal cost,

.... I personally think Bergevin was, by far, the best candidate.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The Despres trade was such a bad trade. I could not believe it when they announced it. To me Lovejoy has always been a borderline AHL dman. I still can't believe a NHL caliber GM made this trade.

Three words : erat for forsberg

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Letang, Maata, Cole, Lovejoy, Maata, Scuderi, Dumoulin...

Seriously, it's just up there with the worst D groups of the league. Hell, after Maata and Letang, I don't think any single one of these guys would make our top-7.

The Maata twins should become a fierce defense pairing.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Hmm...

What is happening with Franson? Is he as bad as some people say he is? How much do you think he will end up getting paid?

..do you think we would have been a better team if the Gorges trade had happened?

He mentioned a couple weeks ago that there are 5-6 teams interested, but there is a definite cap crunch involved with some of the teams.

It made me think that the teams he really desires out of that group have to make other moves to fit him in, and that he is betting on the dominos to fall. It was also clear that he is sick of short term deals, and this market is being really stingy with term.

It's a tough year for the UFA players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad