The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
6.5M for Derek ****ing Stepan.

OMG.

When is the next lock-out?

156 points in last 198 games (last 3 seasons). Around 65 point production rate over 80 games. Considering he just turned 25 years old, 6.5M for that production is fair IMO. He's a first line C on the president trophy winning team.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
156 points in last 198 games (last 3 seasons). Around 65 point production rate over 80 games. Considering he just turned 25 years old, 6.5M for that production is fair IMO. He's a first line C on the president trophy winning team.

I don't like him.

It's only 30 more points then DD over 3 seasons. His faceoffs % is always around 45% (DD is around 50...)

We all know the Rangers are carried by Lundqvist.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
After ROR got 7.5 million, 6.5 for Stepan is perfectly fine.

Why is he getting compared to DD? wtf?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I think the Stepan contract is perfectly fine. He's entering the prime of his career and his point production should only go up from here IMO.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
7.5 for Derek Stephan??? He is not worth 4 million more than DD.

Krejci has a 7.25M AAV contract kicking in next season... That's the market for 60ish points centers nowadays. Krejci, ROR, Kesler and now Stepan... Hell, Kesler isn't even a 60 points producer today.

I said it before, Plekanec will probably resign for 6M/6.5M if he can repeat his 60 points season or somewhere near that, and I stand by that claim.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Krejci has a 7.25M AAV contract kicking in next season... That's the market for 60ish points centers nowadays. Krejci, ROR, Kesler and now Stepan... Hell, Kesler isn't even a 60 points producer today.

I said it before, Plekanec will probably resign for 6M/6.5M if he can repeat his 60 points season or somewhere near that, and I stand by that claim.

which is why he must be traded while he still has value

all the players you named arent 32 yrs old like he is.

but his contract was a DEAL at 5 m when he signed it in his prime

exactly as you said, these days, the market for 60 point centers is 6.5 mill plus, 80 point centers 8 mill, and so on.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
People and their obsession with age... Salary has little to do with age and a heck of a lot to do with actual abilities. Of course, you don't commit for the same kind of term as guys like Stepan or ROR. But 3 years? What's the issue?

The funny thing is that most posters around here were all lined up when it came to trading quality assets for Thornton, Marleau, Vrbata, Backes, even Staal. Or signing Williams as a FA. But when your best center is nearing 33 of age, the end is near, we must trade him while he still has value! That phrase always makes me chuckle. A player has value because he brings something to a team.

Trading him "while he still has value" implies not getting his full worth in return on the market, because let's face it, other GMs aren't dumb and they won't trade a player equally as good that also happens to be younger and cheaper. So the big idea is downgrading our already average/below average center line and hinder our chances at a cup because in some people's mind, resigning a guy for 1M more than his previous contract while not showing any signs of slowing down over the last half decade is going to ruin this team.

Plekanec is turning 33 in October. Not friggin' 37. He has plenty of hockey left in him. Has there been any definite signs of him slowing down as of late? Is he slower than usual? Is he more injury prone than usual? Is he less effective than usual? The answer to all of these questions is no. I'd like to think people would have learned from their mistake when you look at a guy like Markov, for example, who's still playing at an elite level [on most nights] after busting his knees TWICE. And guess what, the guy is 36 years old.

What would this team look like had it traded Markov "while his value was still high" 2 or 3 years ago?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
In Plekanec's favour is that he's made it through his career almost totally injury-free. Yes, I know, he doesn't exactly play a physical game. Still, for a shutdown two-way C who plays huge minutes it's impressive, and it's a good argument for him staying in his prime for a few more years.

Dagenais Bar Down*

which is why he must be traded while he still has value

all the players you named arent 32 yrs old like he is.

but his contract was a DEAL at 5 m when he signed it in his prime

exactly as you said, these days, the market for 60 point centers is 6.5 mill plus, 80 point centers 8 mill, and so on.

So as the Habs head into a new season where they are once again poised for a top three conference finish, where and for what do they trade Plekanec?

Last edited by a moderator:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I'd like to think people would have learned from their mistake when you look atWhat would this team look like had it traded Markov "while his value was still high" 2 or 3 years ago?
Actually we would probably be better off, maybe have gotten some decents picks out of it. This team has proven it can play just fine without Markov. He contributes absolutely nothing in the playoffs and has trouble even making simple plays when the intensity and level of play is higher. But yeah he looks absolutely amazing playing non playoff garbage teams in the east during the regular season, thank god we kept him :handclap:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
In what dimension did this occur?

How can anyone be down on Markov knowing he's been sorely overworked the last couple of seasons?
Ya that's why he sucks in the playoffs, because he's been overworked lol. If I had a penny for every time i heard that... He must of been overworked the past 15 years cause he still hasn't had a single decent playoffs after all this time. Has never ever matched his regular season play in the playoffs, not because he's overworked but because he's got no playoff gear. Great regular season player but playoffs aint for him. I might be wrong but i think Subban already has more playoff points than Markov in almost half as many games :laugh:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Ya that's why he sucks in the playoffs, because he's been overworked lol. If I had a penny for every time i heard that... He must of been overworked the past 15 years cause he still hasn't had a single decent playoffs after all this time. Has never ever matched his regular season play in the playoffs, not because he's overworked but because he's got no playoff gear. Great regular season player but playoffs aint for him. I might be wrong but i think Subban already has more playoff points than Markov in almost half as many games :laugh:

absolutely right, trade that bum and have a 1st pairing of Subban / Emelin. :naughty:

StanAjax

Jul 30, 2003
Nantes
Visit site

It's not about points only for your #1 D-man, even if he's the powerplay quarterback.

Go back watch some of these Habs-Bruins series of the early 2000's, when Koivu and him made Jumbo Joe look like a dud... No playoff gear, seriously ?

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
It's not about points only for your #1 D-man, even if he's the powerplay quarterback.

Go back watch some of these Habs-Bruins series of the early 2000's, when Koivu and him made Jumbo Joe look like a dud... No playoff gear, seriously ?

Romanticizing the past. People do that a lot here. Markov has always been meh in the playoffs.

MaKi

Marschak's #1 Fan
Apr 13, 2007
Marschak's Bandwagon
People and their obsession with age... Salary has little to do with age and a heck of a lot to do with actual abilities. Of course, you don't commit for the same kind of term as guys like Stepan or ROR. But 3 years? What's the issue?

The funny thing is that most posters around here were all lined up when it came to trading quality assets for Thornton, Marleau, Vrbata, Backes, even Staal. Or signing Williams as a FA. But when your best center is nearing 33 of age, the end is near, we must trade him while he still has value! That phrase always makes me chuckle. A player has value because he brings something to a team.

Trading him "while he still has value" implies not getting his full worth in return on the market, because let's face it, other GMs aren't dumb and they won't trade a player equally as good that also happens to be younger and cheaper. So the big idea is downgrading our already average/below average center line and hinder our chances at a cup because in some people's mind, resigning a guy for 1M more than his previous contract while not showing any signs of slowing down over the last half decade is going to ruin this team.

Plekanec is turning 33 in October. Not friggin' 37. He has plenty of hockey left in him. Has there been any definite signs of him slowing down as of late? Is he slower than usual? Is he more injury prone than usual? Is he less effective than usual? The answer to all of these questions is no. I'd like to think people would have learned from their mistake when you look at a guy like Markov, for example, who's still playing at an elite level [on most nights] after busting his knees TWICE. And guess what, the guy is 36 years old.

What would this team look like had it traded Markov "while his value was still high" 2 or 3 years ago?

It's a tough decision to make, but I'd rather trade Plek than let him walk as a UFA next summer. Now that doesn't mean he won't be willing to re-sign here, but I can't know for sure either way.
I mean if Plek only wants to re-sign for a 5 year deal, do you do that? It might help us in the next season, or maybe two, but eventually his level of play will decrease and he'll be in the way of our prospects who have hopefully finished developing in two years time.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't like him.

It's only 30 more points then DD over 3 seasons. His faceoffs % is always around 45% (DD is around 50...)

We all know the Rangers are carried by Lundqvist.

Lundquist was injured a lot last season though.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

Wish we'd trade Eller for a similar if not smaller package. I'd have taken Bonino straight up if not added to the deal. He'd be a perfect fot for the 3rd line role with ability to go into the #2 slot in case of injuries.

No idea how Pittsburgh got so much for Sutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad