The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Me too, I highly recommend the whole series. I really like the Marcus Dupree one, the 1983 NFL draft one, pretty much all of them really. They're easy to find on the net.

I haven't seen all of them, but out of the ones Ive seen, the one involving pablo Escobar and the columbian football team takes the cake.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I remember reading retired players saying how much pressure they had during their playing day to "look rich". This includes less-talented players with not-so-high salaries feeling the need to buy a nice car, and have a nice house, because they would be judged by their peers if they wouldn't. It's not so different than the lawyer who drives a BMW because his clients wouldn't take him seriously with a Corolla.

I don't know if the NHLPA has any pension program, but if they really care about their players they should definitively have one.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
I remember that I was highly concerned when the Leafs got Burke (built Vancouver and won with Anaheim) and Carlyle (pretty good coach with Anaheim) and it failed incredibly.

I'm less worried with Lou and I believe the medias will run Babcock out of town after 3 years.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I remember that I was highly concerned when the Leafs got Burke (built Vancouver and won with Anaheim) and Carlyle (pretty good coach with Anaheim) and it failed incredibly.

I'm less worried with Lou and I believe the medias will run Babcock out of town after 3 years.

It ultimately depends on if they stick to their rebuild or not. They could be good in 3 years if they play their cards right.

I'm always skeptical though, like you I though they made good moves previously and that blew up in their faces.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

Babcock is there to stay. Unless he goes completely haywire they have said "we are rebuilding" so he has so much rope before they expect anything and given his track record I'd be shocked if they say "It's a coaching issue" and fire him before the players.

Ron Wilson, Randy Carlyle, Mike Babcock. At what point is it the players who need to step up?

Dagenais Bar Down*

They are the Leafs and we are Habs fans.

If they were to somehow win the cup it is our duty to find a way to spin it into a negative.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Babcock is there to stay. Unless he goes completely haywire they have said "we are rebuilding" so he has so much rope before they expect anything and given his track record I'd be shocked if they say "It's a coaching issue" and fire him before the players.

Ron Wilson, Randy Carlyle, Mike Babcock. At what point is it the players who need to step up?

I agree, but the problem it's much easier to blame the coach and fire him than to change the leadership of a team. Maybe it will be different this time, but IMO the leadership of the Leafs look terrible and if they decide to keep the coach, they will do a complete turnaround roster wise.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
It seems Marchand had fun in Pointe-Calumet this weekend, wonder how much worse Seguin was to irk Boston management so much with his party lifestyle :sarcasm:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
It seems Marchand had fun in Pointe-Calumet this weekend, wonder how much worse Seguin was to irk Boston management so much with his party lifestyle :sarcasm:

He's the one guy I wouldn't want on the Habs regardless if he came for free. I couldn't stand him on the Habs.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
He's the one guy I wouldn't want on the Habs regardless if he came for free. I couldn't stand him on the Habs.

Same. The guy is a rat and an embarrassment to the sport. Diving, punching players when the refs looks away, clipping and injures a player because he's scared of getting hit, slewfoot etc. etc.. Such a classless player.

brad-marchand-punched-thomas-plekanec.gif

Marchand-Boston04222012.gif

marchandsaloclip-o.gif

WelltodoPeriodicGordonsetter.gif

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Same.

I despise him. He's a complete embarassment.

Chara, Marchand, Thomas, Ference, the son of Campbell, Dr. Recchi, the ape man Lucic...

Bruins just collect these despicable type of individuals. It's quite a feat to have so many ridiculously dumb people on a team at the same time.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Same.

I despise him. He's a complete embarassment.

Chara, Marchand, Thomas, Ference, the son of Campbell, Dr. Recchi, the ape man Lucic...

Bruins just collect these despicable type of individuals. It's quite a feat to have so many ridiculously dumb people on a team at the same time.

You can go much deeper into the Bruins barrel if you'd like.
It seems that every prospect and every player that dons their sweater in recent years turns into a "Dick"
I'm not sure how Patrice manages to stay so grounded?

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Rinaldo and Marchand on same team is going to be scary injury wise. I think Lucic lost his 'hate-ability' in the last couple of seasons since Emelin/Weise feuds.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I think Lou and Babcock will eventually make the Leafs legit again. I can see them building a team that is at least good enough to be a "pretender". We'll see if they can become a true contender. Kind of what they were like when they had Pat Quinn running the organization in the late 90s. He was the last quality hockey guy they had who gave that team any sort of long term success. Then they hired John Ferguson and the fall began.

Lou is a disciplinarian. With no internal leadership core on the team itself, it's paramount that the coach/G.M. are able to establish a highly disciplined atmosphere, and communicate to the players clearly the expectations and responsibilities. They are going to have grow their own leaders as an organization.

They will need their young players like Marner, Nylander and Reilly to become their leadership core. Lou and Babcock are there to help them develop that. Both know what it takes to win, and will garner much respect from the players from the start.

The Leafs are not going to be very good, but they will work hard next season. They are still 3-5 years away from making the playoffs, because their overall organizational depth really really sucks.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Babcock was a great hire for the Leafs, I don't care how much they had to pay him. Lou on the other hand? Wait-and-see approach. Depends on how much control he's going to enforce. If it's his way or the highway, it might not work out as planned, considering they've gone about doing things by committee the last couple months. If he's there as a "title" and is an ultimate high voice of reason as a part of the group, then the Leafs might finally right the ship.

Hope it doesn't happen though. Their fans are insufferable enough and their team's been irrelevant for a decade.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
So it looks like Stepan resigns for 6.5m.

Looks like Plekanec is getting more expensive every day.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So it looks like Stepan resigns for 6.5m.

Looks like Plekanec is getting more expensive every day.

Yup,
I'd love to move Plecky but his anticipation and his instinct will be hard to replace.
Two ingredients Lars doesn't possess to the same extent.
otherwise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad