The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
I mean it's cool and all but, you know, teams have built successes and won Cups with like a fraction of the personnel and the budget the Leafs are using here. I get that money is no object for MLSE but I sure hope an investment of that magnitude produces some tangible results...

Also I like how all the credit for the Horton/Clarkson swap was dumped on Nonis at the time and now that he's gone it's quickly been shifted to someone who remains in the organization...

From what I heard, he's the one who told Nonis who was his boss. Anyway, I'm just passing on what I read and when I made the post it was mentioning that money was no object for MLSE.

I also don't see the Leaf's plan as just spending money and buying players like the Rangers did and you would have to be short sighted to think it is just that. What the Leafs are doing is rebuilding their entire support organization with the best talent. I sense a lot of sour grapes attitude from our posters here but I'll bet every one of them wish it was happening to the Habs. I think the Leafs are making a strong and valid attempt to improve their organization and we will feel the worse of it in years to come.

Last edited:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Didn't the kovalchuk deal happen around the same time that the new devils owner wanted to make his big splash?

Things seem to have gone downhill for the devils since then, aside from the finals appearance in 2012. You have to wonder how much of that is attributed to Lou, and how much is attributed to ownership meddling.

Anyways, something tells me that the meddling won't stop in toronto, with the names involved in that front office.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Didn't the kovalchuk deal happen around the same time that the new devils owner wanted to make his big splash?

Things seem to have gone downhill for the devils since then, aside from the finals appearance in 2012. You have to wonder how much of that is attributed to Lou, and how much is attributed to ownership meddling.

Anyways, something tells me that the meddling won't stop in toronto, with the names involved in that front office.

People at that time kept saying this was the least ''Lou-ish'' move in the history of the Devils organization and was probably almost exclusively a mandate from the owner. He's built his whole career as a GM on mostly signing low key UFA's to cheap contract and turning some of them into gold. He's departed from that a lot in the last few years though, probably because the team hasn't been as good at drafting and developing as in the 90s/early 2000s.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
People at that time kept saying this was the least ''Lou-ish'' move in the history of the Devils organization and was probably almost exclusively a mandate from the owner. He's built his whole career as a GM on mostly signing low key UFA's to cheap contract and turning some of them into gold. He's departed from that a lot in the last few years though, probably because the team hasn't been as good at drafting and developing as in the 90s/early 2000s.

I'm kind of looking at the whole situation there, and I certainly don't see them letting just one person taking over and running it his way (Shanahan excepted maybe). Perhaps Lamoriello is there just to do only what he is good at, or, as you say "signing low key UFA's to cheap contract and turning some of them into gold." Everybody does their part and has say over what they are good at but is only a part of the decisions of the committee. Emperor Shanahan ruling over all. Running it like a business with a board of directors.

This is certainly turning into an interesting scenario.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Lou's signing looks to me to be all about bridging the arrival of dubas...

Allows dubas to ease into role on the coat tails of one of the more respected elder statesmen in the league... Shields the young guy from vicious Toronto media during early phase of "re-build".

Smart move by shanny.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
From what I heard, he's the one who told Nonis who was his boss. Anyway, I'm just passing on what I read and when I made the post it was mentioning that money was no object for MLSE.

I also don't see the Leaf's plan as just spending money and buying players like the Rangers did and you would have to be short sighted to think it is just that. What the Leafs are doing is rebuilding their entire support organization with the best talent. I sense a lot of sour grapes attitude from our posters here but I'll bet every one of them wish it was happening to the Habs. I think the Leafs are making a strong and valid attempt to improve their organization and we will feel the worse of it in years to come.

Any gains they make will get lost in the reporting process...

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
LOL leafs can HAVE him...just like babcock...lou wont be putting goals in the net or stopping pucks from getting into theirs..

call me when they get a 35 goal scorer... oh wait...they traded one away lmao.

leafs will be insignificant for the next 3 years, thank god they missed out on Connor.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I just love how those who don't like how the habs are run are praising the way the leafs are run. This comforts me.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Managers and coaches like players need to retire ultimately. Younger coaches and GM's generally are looked for now. LL is outdated, he built a great NJD team in his heyday but he has also destroyed the same organization in recent years. Leafs can have him.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
LOL leafs can HAVE him...just like babcock...lou wont be putting goals in the net or stopping pucks from getting into theirs..

call me when they get a 35 goal scorer... oh wait...they traded one away lmao.

leafs will be insignificant for the next 3 years, thank god they missed out on Connor.

This.

So glad McDavid went to Edmonton.

Lou is a major jerk who built his reputation on the back on Brodeur and kicked him out town when he was done, what a *****.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
This.

Lou is a major jerk who built his reputation on the back on Brodeur and kicked him out town when he was done, what a *****.

How did he kick him out of town? He likely signed him a season more for no reason. His last season in NJ Schneider was better but they split anyway.

hey

Mar 8, 2006
Lou's signing looks to me to be all about bridging the arrival of dubas...

Allows dubas to ease into role on the coat tails of one of the more respected elder statesmen in the league... Shields the young guy from vicious Toronto media during early phase of "re-build".

Smart move by shanny.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Lou is there to show the new young management the ropes and take the heat off them until they have more time to rebuild

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
This.

Major jerk? Why do gentlemen like Larry Robinson have so much loyalty and admiration for him. Brodeur was done like dinner.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Lou is one of the most respected management types in the NHL. I agree with post above about Lou being a short term hiring to help Dubas.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

He kicked Brodeur out like a stray dog, he's now working for the Blues as assistant GM so the excuse 'he was done as a player' is invalid.

Larry Robinson is a classy man and would never bash someone in public.

Leafs boards is this way

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

He kicked Brodeur out like a stray dog, he's now working for the Blues as assistant GM so the excuse 'he was done as a player' is invalid.

Larry Robinson is a classy man and would never bash someone in public.

Leafs boards is this way

I have no idea what Lou being a dick to certain employees has to do with him being a dick to Brodeur.

Brodeur went to STL and was forced to retire because he sucked. Not sure what Lou did wrong. Brodeur wanted to play another year.

Brodeur got a hell of a position in STL. Maybe NJD couldn't match it.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I have no idea what Lou being a dick to certain employees has to do with him being a dick to Brodeur.

Brodeur went to STL and was forced to retire because he sucked. Not sure what Lou did wrong. Brodeur wanted to play another year.

Brodeur got a hell of a position in STL. Maybe NJD couldn't match it.

you have no idea what being a piece of **** has to do with being a piece of ****?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
This.

There was alot more to his teams than just brodeur. Actually, you can make the argument that brodeur was heavily insulated during the devils heydey, on top of being really good.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
More overrated executive in hockey ever. This guy destroyed Malakhov's and Mogilny's careers. Tried to **** with the league with the ridiculous Kovalchuk contract. Never liked him. Never understood the hype. All he did in the 21st century is lose key players.

How did he destroy Malakhov or Mogilny's career?

And the 'ridiculous' Kovalchuk contract was similar to several other contracts at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad