The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Giving 3 years to Fehr with long term engagements to Malkin, Kessel, Crosby, Letang and Fleury, all that while having a delicate cap situation might not be the best idea they ever had.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Pittsburgh will be good when the puck is in the other end but unfortunately the puck will end up in their zone from time to time

Letang, Maata, Cole, Lovejoy, Maata, Scuderi, Dumoulin...

Seriously, it's just up there with the worst D groups of the league. Hell, after Maata and Letang, I don't think any single one of these guys would make our top-7.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The Canucks asset management is worst than under the Gainey Era. It doesn't seem like their team us heading in any direction.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Seriously, it's just up there with the worst D groups of the league. Hell, after Maata and Letang, I don't think any single one of these guys would make our top-7.

Gotta wonder what were they thinking when they moved Despres?

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hard to pick a winner with that trade. Sutter is a very good player stuck behind two elite players at center. The problem with Benning so far is that he hands out picks like candy. Still can't believe we got a pick with Kassian.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Hard to pick a winner with that trade. Sutter is a very good player stuck behind two elite players at center. The problem with Benning so far is that he hands out picks like candy. Still can't believe we got a pick with Kassian.

People used to say the same thing about Jordan Staal. He's a good player, but especially in Sutter's case he is a perfect third line Center. Can he be second line Center in a pinch? Absolutely. It's not ideal.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
It's not about points only for your #1 D-man, even if he's the powerplay quarterback.

Go back watch some of these Habs-Bruins series of the early 2000's, when Koivu and him made Jumbo Joe look like a dud... No playoff gear, seriously ?
:yo:Great you hand picked the 3 good playoff games he's had since he's been here. Not once has he had a strong playoffs from start to finish, not once. At best he was average. And besides, Theodore, Koivu, Kovalev and even Zednik had all a lot more to do with those Bruins victories than Markov.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I like Bonino a lot more than Sutter.

Two solid additions for Pittsburgh today, if they didn't trade away Despres I'd like their team a lot for next year but unfortunately they did, what an awful trade.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006

They got Poulliot, who's very talented, but right now I don't see him being much better than Beaulieu... it is a very week D corp... and I highly doubt Fleury will repeat last year's play.

I don't understand why they signed Fehr and none of the solid Defencemen available...

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
People used to say the same thing about Jordan Staal. He's a good player, but especially in Sutter's case he is a perfect third line Center. Can he be second line Center in a pinch? Absolutely. It's not ideal.

I give credit to the Pens for maximizing the return on their young prospects. They always seem to have a guy like Staal or Sutter who look like they are "stuck behind Crosby and Malkin" and they get a premium because another team overestimates that player's potential. Very good asset management. We missed the window for a similar trade involving Eller.

Having said that, it's possible Sutter can be a solid #2C for the Canucks so it will be a while before we can judge that trade. Well... except the part about the 2nd pick thrown in. :shakehead

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I hated the Canucks so much when they had Kesler/Bieksa along with Burrows and the Sedins that I actually cheered for Boston in that series. I hate them a little less nowadays but its still funny to watch their organization blow it. It was such an annoying combination of dirty players / pathetic diving and the most annoying fans.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
They got Poulliot, who's very talented, but right now I don't see him being much better than Beaulieu... it is a very week D corp... and I highly doubt Fleury will repeat last year's play.

I don't understand why they signed Fehr and none of the solid Defencemen available...

Fleury is usually fine during the regular season, playoffs are another story.

Edit: holy crap 2M isn't too bad for Fehr

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
The Canucks asset management is worst than under the Gainey Era. It doesn't seem like their team us heading in any direction.

Well, although I agree it looks like they might be in a position to unload Hamhuis, Prust, and Sutter at the deadline next year. If those expiring contracts turn into 1st round picks and prospects then it's not so bad.

I think the Sedin extensions have handcuffed any rebuilds, they're gonna tread in the playoff hunt as long as they have those two signed.

Still though, who the heck knows what Benning is thinking.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Well, although I agree it looks like they might be in a position to unload Hamhuis, Prust, and Sutter at the deadline next year. If those expiring contracts turn into 1st round picks and prospects then it's not so bad.

I think the Sedin extensions have handcuffed any rebuilds, they're gonna tread in the playoff hunt as long as they have those two signed.

Still though, who the heck knows what Benning is thinking.

Opening up cap space for lucic and Ladd. Both local boys, both UFAs. As long as they have the Sedins they cannot rebuild. So they will patch it up every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad