Sarnia Sting 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Just got mentioned to me Bridgewater left the game late 2nd and never returned. Injuries are are adding up already. Annoying cause these 2 games were his best & tonight was his best game I thought.

Makes it Hall, Franceschetti, Bodin, Kostuch & now Bridgewater all banged up in some way. Super frustrating. Hopefully they are all just minor & nothing longterm.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Think I called for a line mix up and man was best lines yet of preseason. 1 think OP coach needs to re evaluate Doucette on point ... ugly

Well they let their foot off the gas a bit to much in the 3rd period (like LDN did yesterday) & nearly blew it, but overall a much cleaner & better showing.

Absolutely loved Barr tonight. 2A, +3 & was making fantastic decisions all game. Kid is gonna be a damn good Dman. 6A in 5 games. Bridgewater with his best defensive game too going +3.

Very nice debut for Karimov. 1G/1A. Kid just flys up and down the ice lol. Little out of control & chaotic at times, but super fun to watch. Also showed he likes the rough stuff. Was throwing hits & chirping a fair bit.

Di Iorio dinishes off a very strong pre season with 1G/1A. 3G/2A in 5 games for him. Doucette was a lot better tn but god damn get him off the half wall on the PP. Idk what's up but he can't control the puck to save his life on it. Solid game from Surzycia.

Hopefully JJ is alright. Never wanna see fights end like that. Looked like his leg was more of an issue so hopefully nothing major. Love his heart. Luecke another scrap too.

Week now to iron some things out and hopefully add bodin Fischer and Kostuch!
Where does kostuch fit in?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Think I called for a line mix up and man was best lines yet of preseason. 1 think OP coach needs to re evaluate Doucette on point ... ugly

Where does kostuch fit in?
I'd have him with Wainwright. If they stick with Karimov w/23/17 I'd run

Kostuch-Wainwright-Doucette
Brown-Wainwright-Karimov
Franceschetti-Edwards-Filak
Luecke-Chamberlain-Moses

Hurt-Fischer
Bodin-Young
Barr-Bridgewater

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Well it should be an incredibly fun group to watch grow & develop together this season. They haven't had this much homegrown young & talented players in awhile. Gonna be many rough nights where they lose because of young mistakes (bad TOs, brainfarts, discipline etc) but I am so excited to see them grow.

Brown/Di Iorio/Edwards/Kostuch/Karimov/Barr/Hurt is an awesome group of U17s. Talking about an incredibly high ceiling for the group if they can keep developing.

Bridgewater, Chamberlain, Andersen are guys who have the talent to be good OHLers. I think Wainwright is primed for a big season. Fischer should be a beast. Young has real breakout potential. Hopefully Doucette & Filak can build off 20+G campaigns & can finish their Sting careers strong. Bodin has been very impressive throughout camp & in his few games.

As we talked about all summer the biggest thing will be goaltending. Surzycia is at least an OK goalie. But can he move up from that? Be a guy who can keep them in games, get them points they don't deserve? Can Chartier or Maillet take a step & push for starts? If none of that happens it'll hurt this team badly because mixing an extremely young team with mediocre goaltending can lead to a disaster.

This season tho is all about patience & growth. Gotta be moving in the right direction which is building the foundation of a team that can compete for it all maybe next year, but definitely the year after.

I'm guessing they battle for 6th/7th in what should be a competitive conference filled with quite a few ok, but not bad teams. Can't wait for it all to get started Friday :bee::bee::bee:

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Well it should be an incredibly fun group to watch grow & develop together this season. They haven't had this much homegrown young & talented players in awhile. Gonna be many rough nights where they lose because of young mistakes (bad TOs, brainfarts, discipline etc) but I am so excited to see them grow.

Brown/Di Iorio/Edwards/Kostuch/Karimov/Barr/Hurt is an awesome group of U17s. Talking about an incredibly high ceiling for the group if they can keep developing.

Bridgewater, Chamberlain, Andersen are guys who have the talent to be good OHLers. I think Wainwright is primed for a big season. Fischer should be a beast. Young has real breakout potential. Hopefully Doucette & Filak can build off 20+G campaigns & can finish their Sting careers strong. Bodin has been very impressive throughout camp & in his few games.

As we talked about all summer the biggest thing will be goaltending. Surzycia is at least an OK goalie. But can he move up from that? Be a guy who can keep them in games, get them points they don't deserve? Can Chartier or Maillet take a step & push for starts? If none of that happens it'll hurt this team badly because mixing an extremely young team with mediocre goaltending can lead to a disaster.

This season tho is all about patience & growth. Gotta be moving in the right direction which is building the foundation of a team that can compete for it all maybe next year, but definitely the year after.

I'm guessing they battle for 6th/7th in what should be a competitive conference filled with quite a few ok, but not bad teams. Can't wait for it all to get started Friday :bee::bee::bee:
I wouldn't put in stone line combos as filak always tends to get top line minutes last year. Hope he becomes this years cooper way anchoring 3rd line helping Edward's grow...will only help his stock as well playing gritty style with Edward's and kostuch.. really liked franchesschetti up with wainwright and doucette seemed to create more ice and contribute to plays at same time.
We shall see top 5 D and going to be as good as any top 5 D in league.
Barr drops to 5th but could challenge by end of year for top 4

Surzycia's clear top tender and playing like a starter giving chance to compete.
Mailett is clear 2nd.

Love leukes game going to zip up that 4th line with moses and chamberlain.

Reactions: TonyB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad