Confirmed with Link: The Ottawa Senators Sale - PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Well the interesting part of this sale process is that the Melnyk family will retain 10%. And until August/September, they'll remain majority owners but will be, I'd assume, in active communication with the incoming majority owner.

So perhaps some direction is sent through that way. For major investments like an ADB extension, you'd have to assume the board would consult the winning group before approving it.

there we’re many threads created in this forum, deriding the involvement of the owner in the day to day operations of the franchise….. So why are there some who wish involvement with a pending owner even before they legally acquire complete majority ownership of the Senators?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Doug Wilson would be pretty sweet, but he wouldn’t have Ottawa to fleece on the other end though.

yeah, he burdened the Senators with Norris, Stutzle and other assets that will hamper the Sens for years to come.

Bruh I just wanna know when Ottawa will get its monorail.

we already have it, the fully functioning LRT.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
there we’re many threads created in this forum, deriding the involvement of the owner in the day to day operations of the franchise….. So why are there some who wish involvement with a pending owner even before they legally acquire complete majority ownership of the Senators?

Nobody is deriding the involvement of the new owner in their hockey team. Because they'll own the hockey team.

People derided Eugene Melnyk's involvement in his hockey team because he proved himself to be an unlikeable a**hole.

If in 10 years this new owner does the same, people will hate and deride him/her/them just as much.

Time will tell how it goes.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Doug Wilson was good at the beginning, but did a poor job near the end of the reign leaving the Sharks a bad team with no top prospects. He is yesterday's man.

Might as well keep Dorion now, see what happens, he has mixed results, but has been better later than earlier. I'd like to see him get some better pro scouts hired.

As for Patrick Roy as coach, I'd love to see that. They'd have much more attention to detail, systems, and intensity. DJ is a good guy that I like, but his country club where the players are his buddies needs to end. He's much more suited to be an assistant coach.

Reactions: otown

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Imagine we got a Nick Kypreos and Patrick Roy duo? The "progressive hockey should be about spreadsheets and guys with glasses and take out hitting it's just too much" crowd on Twitter would meltdown. The hate tears might be worth it... Brady Tkachuk would probably lean right into that type of team image.

Reactions: Masked

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
As crazy as this process is...the real insanity will be dealing with the NCC and trying to get a new arena downtown. I have a feeling the city and NCC are rubbing their hands together in anticipation of trying to squeeze a big fish of whatever pennies they have left after the sale.

The City might have the best site, and without the involvement of the NCC.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Interesting that in Dreger's hit about Roy he said, "1 of the 3 remaining groups vying for ownership". Just dropped it like a statement of fact. 3 not 4. So seems like someone has been removed. 3 more weeks to give out the final rose!

Reactions: DrEasy

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Nobody is deriding the involvement of the new owner in their hockey team. Because they'll own the hockey team.

People derided Eugene Melnyk's involvement in his hockey team because he proved himself to be an unlikeable a**hole.

If in 10 years this new owner does the same, people will hate and deride him/her/them just as much.

Time will tell how it goes.

I think the last thing this franchise needs, is an owner that has zero background in running, operating a sport franchise, becoming involved in the day to day workings of the Senators.

Yes, as an owner they could take on any role they want, but the vast majority of pro sports franchises have owners who know, what they don’t know, and hire people to run the franchise.

So the suggestion that whomever wins the Senators sweepstakes and don’t actually take control until just before training camp, as has been suggested….. to be communicating behind the scenes with the Melnyk sisters, to direct PD at the draft, and free agency is ridiculous in my opinion given the distaste this market has for owners who take on a role they’re not even close to being qualified for.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I think the last thing this franchise needs, is an owner that has zero background in running, operating a sport franchise, becoming involved in the day to day workings of the Senators.

Yes, as an owner they could take on any role they want, but the vast majority of pro sports franchises have owners who know, what they don’t know, and hire people to run the franchise.

So the suggestion that whomever wins the Senators sweepstakes and don’t actually take control until just before training camp, as has been suggested….. to be communicating behind the scenes with the Melnyk sisters, to direct PD at the draft, and free agency is ridiculous in my opinion given the distaste this market has for owners who take on a role they’re not even close to being qualified for.

Lol what? Who said anything about "directing" free-agency or the draft?

I'm talking about rubber stamping major expenditures, like a possible Alex Debrincat extension or new coaching hire, before they officially take ownership of the team, which likely won't happen until late August or early September.

If Pierre Dorion, or any other GM, wants to sign a player to an $8MX8 extension, or fire a coach with term left on his contract and hire a new one, they have to go to ownership. They'll be the ones paying for it.

Unless you think the direction from the board should be, "don't add any salary or make any substantial changes to the roster or coaching this summer because they team is not officially sold."

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Lol what? Who said anything about "directing" free-agency or the draft?

I'm talking about rubber stamping major expenditures, like a possible Alex Debrincat extension or new coaching hire, before they officially take ownership of the team, which likely won't happen until late August or early September.

If Pierre Dorion, or any other GM, wants to sign a player to an $8MX8 extension, or fire a coach with term left on his contract and hire a new one, they have to go to ownership. They'll be the ones paying for it.

Unless you think the direction from the board should be, "don't add any salary or make any substantial changes to the roster or coaching this summer because they team is not officially sold."

kinda got that vibe from this exchange….. just don’t think the management should take any directions, for any matter, from the new owners, until they become the owners

Attachments

• Confirmed with Link - The Ottawa Senators Sale - PART 2  HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Foru...png
    Confirmed with Link - The Ottawa Senators Sale - PART 2 HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Foru...png
    329 KB · Views: 4

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
kinda got that vibe from this exchange…..

That post is pretty clear in what I meant.

If, let's say, Pierre Dorion and Alex Debrincat come to agree on an $8x8M in two weeks – he could go to the board and ask them to send a pigeon to the incoming ownership group to "rubber stamp" it. I specifically said "major investments".

Nowhere did I say that the new ownership group would give the GM specific instructions on which players to sign, and which ones not to sign.

This team just can't be in a holding pattern until August. The offseason is too important.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
That post is pretty clear in what I meant.

If, let's say, Pierre Dorion and Alex Debrincat come to agree on an $8x8M in two weeks – he could go to the board and ask them to send a pigeon to the incoming ownership group to "rubber stamp" it. I specifically said "major investments".

Nowhere did I say that the new ownership group would give the GM specific instructions on which players to sign, and which ones not to sign.

This team just can't be in a holding pattern until August. The offseason is too important.
Correct, the team cannot be in a holding pattern, and should function as usual, and no pigeons to an incoming owner.

IF PD works out a deal for Alex, and the three member board and thereby the current ownership approve… sign the deal. I can’t see any valid or legal reason to consult with the winning bidder, if they’re even known at the time….. business as usual.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Any minute now..the day has finally arrived. Steve Antopoulouloulos is the favourite against two groups with NHL ownership experience, Randy Andauler appears to be a true hockey first guy, the Kimmels have The Weeknd...may the best winner win...today!

You can officially declare it a gong show if we don't hear significant news today. In the meantime, I will go seek my $20 refund from Sparkling Neko Sparks.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Imagine we got a Nick Kypreos and Patrick Roy duo? The "progressive hockey should be about spreadsheets and guys with glasses and take out hitting it's just too much" crowd on Twitter would meltdown. The hate tears might be worth it... Brady Tkachuk would probably lean right into that type of team image.
I am here for it! I think Roy would be a great coach for this team. He has had to take his lumps, he has alot of experience now. He has been there he knows what it takes but he also knows how to coach this new era of players.

I find sens twitter so amusing. These 20 somethings that have been following hockey seriously for 6 or 7 years inexplicably love Dubas. Who has literally won nothing in the time of their fandom. Meanwhile talk down about these guys that have been in the game for 40 years who have tons of experience. Anyone that is running a team now will have an analystics department, it is important but in no world should be the most important aspect of the evaluation and decision making process. These keyboard warriors never experienced the sens rise to contention in the 90's or the heartbreak of losing to the heavier grittier more experienced leaf teams. You can tell by the content and the decisions they want the team to make.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I am here for it! I think Roy would be a great coach for this team. He has had to take his lumps, he has alot of experience now. He has been there he knows what it takes but he also knows how to coach this new era of players.

I've been watching the Remparts through the QMJHL finals and Memorial Cup, and wondered if we'd take a flyer on him. Interesting that his name is coming up from the ownership bid, though I wouldn't expect that decision to come from an owner.

What was Roy's performance in Colorado like? He stunk it up for this last 2 years, didn't he?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I've been watching the Remparts through the QMJHL finals and Memorial Cup, and wondered if we'd take a flyer on him. Interesting that his name is coming up from the ownership bid, though I wouldn't expect that decision to come from an owner.

What was Roy's performance in Colorado like? He stunk it up for this last 2 years, didn't he?

Depends on how you define "stunk it up".

He won the Jack Adams in his first year, going 52-22-8.

In his last 2 years, he went 78-70-16. Although his best players were very young. In his last season, Duchene was 24, Landeskog was 22, MacKinnon was 20 and Barrie was 24. According to this forum, you can't win with young players so I guess he has the same excuse as DJ and Dorion?

Reactions: bert and gab6511

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

First year they had an insane record, second year were above 500 third year they were brutal. I think he likely learns from that but that first year shows you the type of immediate impact he can have.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Just no to Roy.

Like please no.

Fire Capuano, hire someone who knows actual defence that can work with Payne, and if DJ can’t cut mustard 40 games in - cut bait.

Sun God Nika

Apr 22, 2013
I think Roy would be a great coach for the Sens. My only concern is how his firm businessy personality will clash with the existing personality in the locker room of fun and good vibes.

I think a player like Giroux would love Roy as coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad