The Oilers are an old team

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Might be older. but there’s an argument to be made, they have best forward group.

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024
You think that will be the core in the near future?
No way. What happens to all the core players, with big, long contracts? Like Nurse, RNH, Hyman, Kane, Ekholm?
Assuming Holloway, Broberg and Savoie will be core players in the near future is really funny. You would be lucky if one of them is a real core player (not role player) in the next 2 years. I don't think Holloway has the upside, Savoie needs at least a few years to get there if ever and Broberg? Very unlikely

I dont care for Skinners age. A goalie of his caliber might be good for a few years or inconsistent. It does not matter if he is 24 or 28. Though I think he will be a core player for the next 5 years.

I was talking about next season. You don't win with only young players on ELC contracts(I never said that), but I think you do not win with that many players over 30 or declining. Injuries are a bigger concern as well for older players.

And I don't like Skinner, the forward. He will be a playoff disaster, even though I think his regular season will be statistically good.

We shall see.
Oilers have a lot of veteran players from 29 to 32. I'm fairly confident your negative opinion of players in this age range is not shared by 90% of this league. This is the age range where players are at their mental and in some cases physical peak. only fans of teams who are perennial losers share this sentiment. However hey whatever floats your boat. I guarantee guys like Ekholm can smash a lot of young guys in a VO2 test.

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
Oilers have a lot of veteran players from 29 to 32. I'm fairly confident your negative opinion of players in this age range is not shared by 90% of this league. This is the age range where players are at their mental and in some cases physical peak. only fans of teams who are perennial losers share this sentiment. However hey whatever floats your boat. I guarantee guys like Ekholm can smash a lot of young guys in a VO2 test.
Dallas older guys had a difficult time to keep up as the playoffs went on.

The oilers lost two of their fastest guys in McLeod and Foegele, who where in the best age range and added a soft, older player in Skinner with a lot of games under his belt, but no playoff play yet.
Adding Savoie might help them in the future, but for next year I am a 100 % convinced that McLeod brings more to the table. So the trade could backfire short term, when Savoie might struggle to adapt and the oilers are in their cup window.
I like Ekholm, but at his age you never know, when he starts regressing significantly. Or having more injury problems. Guys like Hyman, who was great last year, might start declining as well.

The oilers have a lot of players with a higher probability of getting (a little) worse next year than better. Just like the stars have shown in the playoffs, after their great regular season and very underperforming play from almost every older player.

I guess we will see.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024
Dallas older guys had a difficult time to keep up as the playoffs went on.

The oilers lost two of their fastest guys in McLeod and Foegele, who where in the best age range and added a soft, older player in Skinner with a lot of games under his belt, but no playoff play yet.
Adding Savoie might help them in the future, but for next year I am a 100 % convinced that McLeod brings more to the table. So the trade could backfire short term, when Savoie might struggle to adapt and the oilers are in their cup window.
I like Ekholm, but at his age you never know, when he starts regressing significantly. Or having more injury problems. Guys like Hyman, who was great last year, might start declining as well.

The oilers have a lot of players with a higher probability of getting (a little) worse next year than better. Just like the stars have shown in the playoffs, after their great regular season and very underperforming play from almost every older player.

I guess we will see.
You forgot Arvidsson.

You also forget a healthy Kane

your right, they could regress, but if Skinner fits in and Arvidsson is healthy, they barely lose any speed but gain more skill. Throw is Savoie and the emergence of Broberg moving the puck, I think they got faster. If Kane is dealth or IR'ed, then they have room to another piece at the deadline. Which im sure if Ceci is dealth , then they would have room to add a significant piece in March

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
  1. 2001-02 Detroit Red Wings (51-17-10-4, 116 pts.) -
    Average Age: 30 years, 5 months, 1 days
    Notable Player(s): Brett Hull (37), Nicklas Lidstrom (31)
  2. 2007-08 Detroit Red Wings (54-21-7, 115 pts.) -
    Average Age: 29 years, 9 months, 23 days
    Notable Player(s): Nicklas Lidstrom (37), Pavel Datsyuk (29)
  3. 1997-98 Detroit Red Wings (44-23-15, 103 pts.) -
    Average Age: 29 years, 6 months, 10 days
    Notable Player(s): Steve Yzerman (32), Nicklas Lidstrom (27)
  4. 2002-03 New Jersey Devils (46-20-10-6, 108 pts.) -
    Average Age: 29 years, 0 months, 6 days
    Notable Player(s): Martin Broduer (30), Patrik Elias (26)
  5. 1966-67 Toronto Maple Leafs (32-27-11, 75 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 11 months, 26 days
    Notable Player(s): Terry Sawchuk (37), Frank Mahovlich (28)
  6. 1998-99 Dallas Stars (51-19-12, 114 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 10 months, 29 days
    Notable Player(s): Brett Hull (34), Mike Modano (28)
  7. 1963-64 Toronto Maple Leafs (33-25-12, 78 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 10 months, 2 days
    Notable Player(s): Frank Mahovlich (25)
  8. 2005-06 Carolina Hurricanes (52-22-8, 112 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 5 months, 6 days
    Notable Player(s): Rod Brind'Amour (35), Eric Staal (21)
  9. 1996-97 Detroit Red Wings (38-26-18, 94 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 4 months, 20 days
    Notable Player(s): Steve Yzerman (31), Nicklas Lidstrom (26)
  10. 1968-69 Montreal Canadians (46-19-11, 103 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 3 months, 13 days
    Notable Player(s): Jean Beliveau (37)
I think a bit much is made of the age, that said it’s definitely a young man’s league the last several years and those are mostly ancient examples by sports years

RCGP2

Mar 8, 2018
You forgot Arvidsson.

You also forget a healthy Kane

your right, they could regress, but if Skinner fits in and Arvidsson is healthy, they barely lose any speed but gain more skill. Throw is Savoie and the emergence of Broberg moving the puck, I think they got faster. If Kane is dealth or IR'ed, then they have room to another piece at the deadline. Which im sure if Ceci is dealth , then they would have room to add a significant piece in March
How can Kane be both healthy and on the ltir?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I think a bit much is made of the age, that said it’s definitely a young man’s league the last several years and those are mostly ancient examples by sports years
The top 3 oldest Stanley Cup winners were all built by Holland, and he has another one at 9th.

You could say he's the GOAT of building old Stanley Cup winners.

• Wow
Reactions: RogerRoger
Feb 5, 2016
Edmonton is the oldest average now at 30.86% age.

Pens 39 Carter retired, Smith 33 traded
NYI 36 Clutterbuck, 35 Martin, 35 Bortuzzo unsigned
Wsh 35 Pacioretty unsigned, 33 Jensen traded, 36 Backstrom LTIR

• Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Edmonton is the oldest average now at 30.86% age.

Pens 39 Carter retired, Smith 33 traded
NYI 36 Clutterbuck, 35 Martin, 35 Bortuzzo unsigned
Wsh 35 Pacioretty unsigned, 33 Jensen traded, 36 Backstrom LTIR
That calculation doesn't include Holloway or Broberg who are 22 and 23.

I suspect by the time playoffs roll around Derek Ryan 37 is a semi-permanent healthy scratch as well.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
A team's core is generally what leads to winning a cup. I imagine Edmonton's is somewhat average (age) in that regard.

Having Perry and Ryan on the team instead of Hamlin and R.Lavoie isn't going to be the difference maker this thread suggests it will be. lol

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Anyone sensible would. Seriously the only reason people work at all in the northern hemisphere is because either they have "A" job there, the jobs elsewhere wouldn't be as good/high paying, or they can't get a job at all elsewhere. In hockey there's no difference, so if you can get a deal from somewhere warm you take it.
I looked back 2 pages of posts to see who you cheered for or where you’re located.

It was all oilers hating nonsense

That’s a pretty sad existence no matter what hemisphere you live on

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
A team's core is generally what leads to winning a cup. I imagine Edmonton's is somewhat average (age) in that regard.

Having Perry and Ryan on the team instead of Hamlin and R.Lavoie isn't going to be the difference maker this thread suggests it will be. lol
Well I agree that Perry and Ryan might not be the difference maker in a bad way, because they might not even play. But than you have depth issues.
On the other hand, the oilers have a lot of guys at age 31 to 34 who might regress or cannot keep up.

Just look back at Dallas last year. A major core player in Pavelski totally lost it in the playoffs. But he is not my point: Guys like Duchene, Seguin, Dadonov, Smith did not perform well enough.

I see similarities in the oilers with guys like Jeff Skinner, Henrique, RNH, Kane, Hyman (due to great last year) who might underperform or be injured because of their age. And I am not even talking about the D-Man.

Reactions: KevinRedkey
Feb 5, 2016
That calculation doesn't include Holloway or Broberg who are 22 and 23.

I suspect by the time playoffs roll around Derek Ryan 37 is a semi-permanent healthy scratch as well.
The calculations for all the teams are not complete yet as many RFA’s and some UFA’s still haven’t signed new contracts yet + trades after TC.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
You don't need to be young competing for a cup. You can attract replacements in FA to keep your players 28-32.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
certain posters in every oilers thread

d69ce-16292210572774-800.jpg

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I think this is the last year the oilers could go for a deep run. They need to sign drai next off season and i am projecting that he will ask for 13 million dollars for 7 years at minimum. Do oilers have that extra 5 million? What about McDavid salary increase next year? Bouchards salary increase?

It is hilarious watching the same group of posters try with all their might to find something to knock the Oilers down a peg.

Just accept it.

The Oilers are legit contenders.
They are a legit contender but not for very long, in fact i would assume this year will be their last year to be "legit contenders". Although for a so called "legit contenders" their defence is still weak and they have weak goaltending.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I think this is the last year the oilers could go for a deep run. They need to sign drai next off season and i am projecting that he will ask for 13 million dollars for 7 years at minimum. Do oilers have that extra 5 million? What about McDavid salary increase next year? Bouchards salary increase?
Between the cap going up 4/5 mil a year the oilers also have 4m of dead cap clearing after this year I believe

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Between the cap going up 4/5 mil a year the oilers also have 4m of dead cap clearing after this year I believe
Where did you get 4 to 5 mil increase in cap every year? Also increase in cap will also drive up a players price. McDavid will have a higher max salary with cap going up. Assuming it didnt go up, they need 14 million dollars in cap space. 5 million increase for bouchard, 5 million increase for Drai and 4 million increase for McDavid. Those price increases is at best case scenario and if cap goes up by 5, those price will increase too. Drai at 13 million still would be a bargain considering Petersson at 11 mil, marner at 11 mil, nylander at 10.5 mil etc.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Where did you get 4 to 5 mil increase in cap every year? Also increase in cap will also drive up a players price. McDavid will have a higher max salary with cap going up. Assuming it didnt go up, they need 14 million dollars in cap space. 5 million increase for bouchard, 5 million increase for Drai and 4 million increase for McDavid. Those price increases is at best case scenario and if cap goes up by 5, those price will increase too. Drai at 13 million still would be a bargain considering Petersson at 11 mil, marner at 11 mil, nylander at 10.5 mil etc.
Skinner 3m and ceci 3.25m is open after this season that’s 6.25 + 4m in dead cap opening is 10.25 add 4m for cap increase and your at 14.25 to give Draisaitl and Bouchard raises and the next year kane and ekholm(probably resigns cheaper) is off the books when Mcdavid needs a new contract. This is a complete non issue

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

They are a legit contender but not for very long, in fact i would assume this year will be their last year to be "legit contenders". Although for a so called "legit contenders" their defence is still weak and they have weak goaltending.

The goals against numbers say otherwise regarding goaltending/D, they were top 5 in the regular season under Knoblaugh and 2nd best in the playoffs, just a hair short of Florida.

Drai's salary increase is largely priced in already, the Neal and Brown buyout/overage's come off the books next summer, that basically pays for Draisaitl's raise, they can move Kane's last year to make space for Bouchard and the cap will rise again next summer.

Reactions: Brian McDavid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad