Proposal: Mitch Marner for Shea Theodore

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
A trade around this base has been long discussed. But there are obvious issues.

- Marner doesn't seem inclined to waive for any team, even one as inticing as Vegas. He wants to be a Leaf. It's likely dead on arrival
- The Leafs already have Rielly and OEL as offensive LHD, with McCabe and Benoit as defensive LHD, they already have oversaturation on that side

At the least there would have to be something else interesting coming from Vegas, like a Roy or Karlsson to give the Leafs another Centre at a position of need. But again, Marner doesn't seem to want to go anywhere so I doubt anything happens.

I do think it makes a lot of sense for Vegas, who lost a ton of forward talent this offseason and like big names.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Marner’s salary is a big hurdle. Toronto needs to retain salary to make it work. In addition who fills the gap left by Theodore in Vegas?

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street

- Marner doesn't seem inclined to waive for any team, even one as inticing as Vegas. He wants to be a Leaf. It's likely dead on arrival
- The Leafs already have Rielly and OEL as offensive LHD, with McCabe and Benoit as defensive LHD, they already have oversaturation on that side

At the least there would have to be something else interesting coming from Vegas, like a Roy or Karlsson to give the Leafs another Centre at a position of need. But again, Marner doesn't seem to want to go anywhere so I doubt anything happens.

I do think it makes a lot of sense for Vegas, who lost a ton of forward talent this offseason and like big names.

I thought Theodore shoots L but can play the RD and LD position. But I am not 100% certain.

Reactions: andora

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Marner’s salary is a big hurdle. Toronto needs to retain salary to make it work. In addition who fills the gap left by Theodore in Vegas?

Hanifin who already took Theo's spot on PP 1. Korzcak would take Theodore's spot in the lineup.

The Marner cap hit is why this doesn't work though. Vegas can afford to move Theo. They can't afford to move anyone else to balance the money. So unless Marner is coming at max retention it doesn't work.

Reactions: WhataKnight and um

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021

If they’re not going to re-sign him at a number he wants, it’s hard to for me to believe that he wouldn’t eventually waive his NTC. He sees firsthand how Islanders fans have treated John Tavares for walking to FA and preventing a trade that could’ve netted the team a significant return.

I’d imagine that if even if Marner leaves the Maple Leafs, he values his place in the Toronto community enough that he won’t completely torch that bridge on his way out of town.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
I thought Theodore shoots L but can play the RD and LD position. But I am not 100% certain.
Yeah he pretty consistently plays RD. Don't know why that would change in Toronto or on any other team. I think they're probably going to ship him out considering he's due a raise and Hanifin has replaced him on PP1, just not convinced it'll be to the Leafs/in a trade involving Marner.

Reactions: biturbo19

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Hanifin who already took Theo's spot on PP 1. Korzcak would take Theodore's spot in the lineup.

The Marner cap hit is why this doesn't work though. Vegas can afford to move Theo. They can't afford to move anyone else to balance the money. So unless Marner is coming at max retention it doesn't work.

Hanifin is a poor mans Theodore. I wouldn't want him on my #1PP. The only thing Hanifin has on Theodore is that he can skate just as well as Theodore can, otherwise Theodore is a far better all round dman.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Finding Mitch Marner is my new favourite NHL saga. Toronto hockey media are all going to be building new lake houses if it stretches all the way until UFA.

Vegas had their snag every big name on the market streak broken when Stamkos signed in Nashville. Could totally see them doing something crazy.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
Hanifin is a poor mans Theodore. I wouldn't want him on my #1PP. The only thing Hanifin has on Theodore is that he can skate just as well as Theodore can, otherwise Theodore is a far better all round dman.

Theodore is absolutely more dangerous offensively but to say he's better all around is flat out untrue. Theodore is not a good defensive player at all. Nor does he PK which Hanifin does.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
This is what I've worried that the Knights were most likely to do if Marner is moved anywhere. If both players waived, I would think Pietrangelo, despite his age, would be the better fit for both teams based on Toronto's off-season acquisitions and salary balance.

Ledge And Dairy

No he isn't, they are different style players. Hanifin is a 2-way, fast skating, puck moving defenseman. Theodore is an offensive defenseman with serviceable defensive game. Theodore is a lot more similar to someone like Andersson or Montour than he is to Hanifin

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I’d rather keep Marner.

If we are trading Marner it would need to be for a Parayko, Ekholm type D and/or a 2C. Or replacement wing.

Offensive D don’t interest me.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Toronto says yes 100%.
Marner is going to leave for nothing
Marner most likely says no tho
Vegas isn't trading Karlsson under any circumstances. Barbashev is highly unlikely too. There is zero chance Vegas can take on Marner without retention.
Theodore doesn’t bring anything the leafs don’t already have (except someone named Shea Theodore). Toronto says no.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Toronto says no.
Lol na. Vegas has no cap space and I'd rather have Theodore.

Theodore doesn’t bring anything the leafs don’t already have (except someone named Shea Theodore). Toronto says no.
You can tell you don't watch other teams play hockey.

Toronto wouldn’t retain on Marner for Theodore…
Vegas would add cap. Someone like Karlsson or Barbashev.
What's Toronto adding? A couple firsts?

I’d rather keep Marner.

If we are trading Marner it would need to be for a Parayko, Ekholm type D and/or a 2C. Or replacement wing.

Offensive D don’t interest me.
Theodore plays all situations if you watched Vegas on their multiple cup runs you'd know.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Toronto’s not retaining on anything.
Correct so they're gonna either sign him or let him walk. He won't be traded. Why because no one can fit him in that's any good and the price is way too high for a skill winger that makes up 12.4% of the cap who's a playoff.ghost.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Lol na. Vegas has no cap space and I'd rather have Theodore.

You can tell you don't watch other teams play hockey.
You say in another post Theodore plays all situations. I guess 5:24 of pk time technically is “all situations” when compared to those who play Pk, but sure.

We have offensively minded d-men, we need better defensive ones. His numbers are good, but that’s about it. We keep Marner, even if we let him walk at the end of the season.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad