News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

The whole tweet;

6. Carolina HurricanesTop 5 Skater Prospects: Nikishin, Nadeau, Morrow, Blake and TrikozovCarolina continues to build a pool with depth like we've never seen before. They have ~30 skaters in the system with some NHL potential to them. They added a number of good value pieces again this year (like Artamonov). Its still too early to tell if what they're doing (picking value with almost every pick and staying away from historical low bets) is going to work, but I like their chances.Cup Contenders generally have league worst prospect pools and don't have much in terms of prospects to promote to the NHL or offer in trades for established veterans. The Canes have oodles. Case in point, they gave up a few decent looking prospects to Pittsburgh in the Guentzel trade but didn't give up one of their top prospects. They are going about it in a way like we've never seen before.

Not sure what to make of the fact that he doesn't have FUS as one of our top 5 . . .

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Some fans always want to boo players that leave and are viewed to have "spurned" the team.

If I'm in Guenztel's shoes and I can get an extra $3M over a shorter window, it would be hard to say no.
Counterpoint: if I'm coming back to play against a team I left for the Big Bag, I'd be a little hurt if they didn't boo.

It's sports. Fans boo. That's part of the fun.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Counterpoint: if I'm coming back to play against a team I left for the Big Bag, I'd be a little hurt if they didn't boo.

It's sports. Fans boo. That's part of the fun.
I get that, it's just that he wasn't really here long enough for me to form an emotional attachment to him.

You'd best believe I'm posting this gif every time we beat Lindy and the Bruins for the next 7 years, though.

1720303396560.gif

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I get that, it's just that he wasn't really here long enough for me to form an emotional attachment to him.

You'd best believe I'm posting this gif every time we beat Lindy and the Bruins for the next 7 years, though.

View attachment 892941
17 regular season games and 11 playoff games.

Or just 13 fewer games than fan favorite Erik Haula.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Received a Ticketmaster email today advising that they are offering re-sale Panther seats (still not available on official site, Seatgeek). I plan on getting tickets to one of the games.

In any event, I looked at their season ticket plans/pricing and was surprised to see that even after winning the Cup, comparable season ticket seats are 10-30% less than the Canes. Parking appears to be $35.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
yeah I'm not convinced that he is against working things out here, but guy was definitely frustrated with role/usage this past season. Either him or Jarvy becoming the 2C long term would help a ton in that regard.
He looked unhappy after looking for years like a gleeful Labrador chasing a ball. Jarvis is more adaptable and versatile, so I’d let him move around the lineup and give Necas the spot next to Aho until he flat out plays himself out of that spot. Give him a longer leash than he’s been given in the past. I don’t see Necas anywhere else in the lineup so I’d leave him there all season unless Aho goes quiet because of it, which I doubt. I’ve seen the two of them look plenty good in the past. Necas should be on the LW half wall spot opposite Aho on pp1. I thought he belonged there last year but we found what we had and went with it.

The vibe I got from Necas was that he felt like he wasn’t ever going to be trusted and had given up. Wanted a clean slate and knows he wouldn’t get one here.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
He looked unhappy after looking for years like a gleeful Labrador chasing a ball. Jarvis is more adaptable and versatile, so I’d let him move around the lineup and give Necas the spot next to Aho until he flat out plays himself out of that spot. Give him a longer leash than he’s been given in the past. I don’t see Necas anywhere else in the lineup so I’d leave him there all season unless Aho goes quiet because of it, which I doubt. I’ve seen the two of them look plenty good in the past. Necas should be on the LW half wall spot opposite Aho on pp1. I thought he belonged there last year but we found what we had and went with it.

The vibe I got from Necas was that he felt like he wasn’t ever going to be trusted and had given up. Wanted a clean slate and knows he wouldn’t get one here.
I like the idea of Necas on 1RW and giving Jarvis a shot at 2C. Heck, give Necas a shot at 2C in camp too. Maybe Necas will realize playing C for Rod isn't quite the same as playing C internationally or elsewhere and he'll take a shot on Aho's wing again.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Do we know yet if it’s a matter of Necas wanting top 6 minutes in general (W or C) or does he want an opportunity to play C?

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I like the idea of having Jarvis & Necas battle if for the 2C spot. I think Jarvis is the favorite to take that spot. But I’m convinced one of them would succeed there. Also it would be a lot easier next season to find an elite winger vs an elite 2C.

Here’s my crazy lineup combo. I don’t love KK on Aho’s wing, but I’d be curious to see it happen. This should be the year to experiment and see what sticks.

KK -Aho - Necas
Svech - Jarvis - Roslivic
Martinook - Staal - Fast?
Nadeau - Drury - Carrier

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I like the idea of having Jarvis & Necas battle if for the 2C spot. I think Jarvis is the favorite to take that spot. But I’m convinced one of them would succeed there. Also it would be a lot easier next season to find an elite winger vs an elite 2C.

Here’s my crazy lineup combo. I don’t love KK on Aho’s wing, but I’d be curious to see it happen. This should be the year to experiment and see what sticks.

KK -Aho - Necas
Svech - Jarvis - Roslivic
Martinook - Staal - Fast?
Nadeau - Drury - Carrier
Nadeau should be in Chicago getting 20 minutes a game, not on the fourth line.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Nadeau should be in Chicago getting 20 minutes a game, not on the fourth line.
“Hey this is Rod Brind’Amour speaking… I don’t number lines”

But yeah I agree it’s probably best he go to Chicago for consistent 1st line duties in the beginning. On another counter tho I’m sure if he makes it to the big team this year we’ll shuffle the lines a million times and he probably plays up and down the lineup.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Next season is going to be, I'm not sure yet (really really need Svech in particular to prove why he was a #2 pick, also need KK to provide some scoring), but the back half of the decade cap-wise has potential to be favorable, especially if guys like Nadeau, Trikizov, Morrow, Ham-salami and others live up to their potential, and also if we can get our golden boy from St Petersburg. Next year I think Orlov, Burns, and Freddie are the notable departures (Fast too?)

Or Tulsky can go full steam ahead and convince Dr. Drai that Carolina is the best place for his future.

All the subtractions, we knew they were coming. The additions this offseason aren't fancy but everything cap-wise seems manageable.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Things seem a lot worse when you include Guentzel and Kuznetsov. People seem to forget they were rentals and we were probably going to be a top 5 team last season without adding them at the deadline.

Sure our defense is taking a hit, but I think Borg did a pretty good job with their replacements without spending like crazy in FA.

The only “impact” forward we lost was 86, but was he really that irreplaceable?

I think we will easily be in the mix for metro 2-3 this upcoming season… the only thing that worries me is getting off to a slow start with the new guys… as we know a lot of players have a difficult time adjusting to our system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad