News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
There was an interview with Doug Warf a few weeks ago where he was asked about Bally, and said that the Carolinas channel was one of Bally's profitable ones and that they don't expect any changes. Bally overall may collapse, but if the RSN is still profitable it'll find a buyer. I'm pretty sure Mike and Tripp are safe.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
There was an interview with Doug Warf a few weeks ago where he was asked about Bally, and said that the Carolinas channel was one of Bally's profitable ones and that they don't expect any changes. Bally overall may collapse, but if the RSN is still profitable it'll find a buyer. I'm pretty sure Mike and Tripp are safe.
interesting though I find it hard to believe they were profitable anywhere. Then again they probably had the Canes on a bargain contract because of the previous mismanagement of the team under Karmanos making people not actively want to tune in, the Hornets having been a dumpster fire the entirety of their existence, and the Carolinas having grown from being two small markets with a few more insignificant markets throughout the state, to basically 2 larger medium sized markets with a bunch more small to smaller medium sized markets throughout the state. SC similarly growing as well though from a smaller starting point.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Based on this article, Diamond Sports Group Reaches Deals With NBA, NHL, the Canes took a 20% haircut and still stuck with Bally. Optimum dropped Bally so parts of NC can't see the Canes now. The app is crappy and fans have few options but they never change anything. So, I am not sure what it would take for them to make a switch.

Furthermore, Bally Sports may soon be forced to rebrand its channels. Diamond Sports Group’s naming rights contract with Bally’s Corporation expires at the end of the 2024 MLB season, necessitating a new name for the network.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
The worrisome part is that there is no assurances here that Bally is willing or able to finish the year broadcasting games for anyone. We are over of their smallest markets, if they have to start slashing expenses, you have to figure we are at the top of that list, and now that we know they are in bankruptcy with no buyer to bail them out, it's probably in our best interests to immediately pivot to our backup plan.

This is the same company that started dropping MLB teams on a whim last year. You can't trust them.
Different circumstances for the teams they dropped. It was part of their bankruptcy process and certainly losers profitability wise given their costs to revenues. If Canes contract was structured poorly DSG would have walked already. I think we are good for this year.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

Almost feels real.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Is 10 the most national tv games the canes have ever had in one season?
I don't see ESPN+ games as "national" games. I guess technically, but it's not really a national showcase for a team, it's just a game exclusive to their on-demand platform to drive subscriptions. Anyone out of market can watch any other Canes game just as easily, those are just to make sure that Canes fans (and they do this with every market) have a reason to buy ESPN+.

That's 3 national games by how we traditionally think about a "national game".

Highest Boss

Jan 15, 2014
Illinois
I don't see ESPN+ games as "national" games. I guess technically, but it's not really a national showcase for a team, it's just a game exclusive to their on-demand platform to drive subscriptions. Anyone out of market can watch any other Canes game just as easily, those are just to make sure that Canes fans (and they do this with every market) have a reason to buy ESPN+.

Especially since ESPN+ is how I normally watch every game. The only announcement is that it will be ESPN's D- broadcast team for that feed instead of Mike and Tripp.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Yeah it's really completely absurd to categorize the ESPN+ exclusive games as "national." If you do that, then every single game next season could be considered "national" as every game is nationally available on ESPN+ to subscribers anyways (or a national cable broadcast, which is the real definition of "national").

Being out of market and needing ESPN+ anyways it doesn't impact me right now, but I find it to be complete bullshit that a local fan can't watch every game on tv and needs to subscribe to a streaming service. Then the audacity of the NHL to cater to them by considering those games "national" as something to promote.

3 real national games is not very many for a top team like us. But not surprising at all considering the market. Wonder how many Florida has as defending champs? Bet it's pretty low too.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah it's really completely absurd to categorize the ESPN+ exclusive games as "national." If you do that, then every single game next season could be considered "national" as every game is nationally available on ESPN+ to subscribers anyways (or a national cable broadcast, which is the real definition of "national").

Being out of market and needing ESPN+ anyways it doesn't impact me right now, but I find it to be complete bullshit that a local fan can't watch every game on tv and needs to subscribe to a streaming service. Then the audacity of the NHL to cater to them by considering those games "national" as something to promote.

3 real national games is not very many for a top team like us. But not surprising at all considering the market. Wonder how many Florida has as defending champs? Bet it's pretty low too.
Well kinda, I'm sure they'll black out the NHL Network games on us too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad