News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Who knew after this that it would be exactly 10 years later the Hurricanes would clinch their next playoff appearance.

This video had everything you would expect from those players:

Staal: Wraparound fail
Pitkanen: Looks like he isn’t trying, but still manages to keep the puck on his stick all the way around tge zone
Whitney: No look backhand pass (secondary assist)
Babchhuk: Duh
Larose: Jumping into Babchuk’s arms after everyone is already done celebrating

There was more but i forgot as I wrote and I’m not watching it again.

Maybe it was the Malkin D zone turnover IDK

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
This video had everything you would expect from those players:

Staal: Wraparound fail
Pitkanen: Looks like he isn’t trying, but still manages to keep the puck on his stick all the way around tge zone
Whitney: No look backhand pass (secondary assist)
Babchhuk: Duh
Larose: Jumping into Babchuk’s arms after everyone is already done celebrating

There was more but i forgot as I wrote and I’m not watching it again.

Maybe it was the Malkin D zone turnover IDK
Them Was The Times

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
correct for the impact (dude legitimately made the team WORSE)

correct for impact after factoring in price point.
HM to Bryan Allen? He was I guess a semi-serviceable defensive d-man for 1+ season who cost us the low, low price of Sergei Samsanov (who finished the year with Florida then retired)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
HM to Bryan Allen? He was I guess a semi-serviceable defensive d-man for 1+ season who cost us the low, low price of Sergei Samsanov (who finished the year with Florida then retired)
Allen was serviceable, that team had more than a few chokes beyond game 82 down the stretch (a pair of 3-2 losses to mediocre Atlanta and Columbus teams in March, at home and a 3-1 loss to a flat out BAD Toronto team at home)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That trade was completely overshadowed by the Skjei trade that happened almost simultaneously. But at least Vantanen put up a few points in the playoffs. I’m pretty sure Carter only had 1 point in the 15-20 games post deadline.
and IIRC he was so bad in his games that he was quickly scratched by Lavi and only got into about half of them. For a team that only finished 4 points outside the playoffs that's a huge issue.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Carter if I remember right didn't want to be traded in the first place. He seemed to like Columbus and his role with the Jackets.

Poolparty tried, but he just wasn't and frankly isn't very good. Not sure if Edmonton ruined him or if he just was nowhere near as good as advertised. Whatever the case I wasn't particularly thrilled about acquiring him because he was a project and we needed proven skill.

I'll throw in not trading Gleason and Ruutu in 2012 (unless they had NMCs?). Not sure why exactly JR stood pat that deadline.

Allen was serviceable, that team had more than a few chokes beyond game 82 down the stretch (a pair of 3-2 losses to mediocre Atlanta and Columbus teams in March, at home and a 3-1 loss to a flat out BAD Toronto team at home)

God I still remember that Columbus game. Went to it. 0-9 on the PP and gave up a SHG. So damn frustrating. Team went something like 3-70 on the PP down the stretch and gave up more than they scored. Perhaps simply decline and maybe Jeff Skinner sees playoff games.

Columbus back in their Western days always won against this team and did so in the frustrating of manners. I mean RJ Umberger had like three hat tricks in his career and 2 of them were on Cam Ward.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
semi unrelated but the Faulk trade may be the one where the FO wishes they had that one back. Not signing Gardiner and keeping Faulk as an own rental would have made the team a lot different that deadline.

Slavin-Dougie
Pesce-Faulk
Fleury-TVR

Does Forsling get a look when Dougie gets hurt? who knows.

Then we would have had this set going into the bubble.

Slavin-Dougie
Skjei-Faulk (man that pair would have taken some heat with the mistakes)
Fleury-TVR (maybe), might have gotten a cheaper rental than Vatanen as depth.

I dont think that set makes us more competitive against TB but at least we would have Edmundson and Vatanen playing top 4 minutes and saddled with Gardiner for another 3 years. Maybe we spend a little more on offense that off-season without Gardiner's 4 million in the way (verheage maybe).

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Carter if I remember right didn't want to be traded in the first place. He seemed to like Columbus and his role with the Jackets.

Poolparty tried, but he just wasn't and frankly isn't very good. Not sure if Edmonton ruined him or if he just was nowhere near as good as advertised. Whatever the case I wasn't particularly thrilled about acquiring him because he was a project and we needed proven skill.

I'll throw in not trading Gleason and Ruutu in 2012 (unless they had NMCs?). Not sure why exactly JR stood pat that deadline.

God I still remember that Columbus game. Went to it. 0-9 on the PP and gave up a SHG. So damn frustrating. Team went something like 3-70 on the PP down the stretch and gave up more than they scored. Perhaps simply decline and maybe Jeff Skinner sees playoff games.

Columbus back in their Western days always won against this team and did so in the frustrating of manners. I mean RJ Umberger had like three hat tricks in his career and 2 of them were on Cam Ward.
Ah yes the Canes Playoff Preparation Regimen!!

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
correct for impact after factoring in price point.
The price point was really much. Kuokkanen, who was never going to play here and isn't even in the NHL and a late 3rd round pick, in a draft where we had two 1st round picks (used one for Skjei, one used to draft Jarvis), two 2nd round picks (from NYR and our own), and two 3rd round picks (Buffalo's - Nikishin and our own- traded to NJ where they selected Daws).

I think circumstances at the time of the trade come into play. We made the trade when we thought that both Dougie and Pesce were gone for the season, leaving us with Slavin, Gardiner, TVR, Fleury, and Edmundson. If it wasn't for the covid delay, Dougie wouldn't have been back.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
uns55puigfjd1.jpg

Reddit has been taking a look at THN’s scouting reports and draft previews of the previous years. I found Necas’ interesting, because it’s (IMO) almost unchanged to how he plays now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad