News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no one that left involved any sort of discount.

We've lost a lot, but i'll take it being "outsiders recruiting from the org because it is viewed as having good talent" vs "rats leaving a sinking ship" as a silver lining.
Training ground and/or reformation spot for players and management alike. Almost like a hockey finishing school.

Reactions: To Be Determined

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no one that left involved any sort of discount.

We've lost a lot, but i'll take it being "outsiders recruiting from the org because it is viewed as having good talent" vs "rats leaving a sinking ship" as a silver lining.
Yeah, my read would be that people think our front office is a model and are willing to overpay to poach our talent and learn what we've got, while we have a thriving culture and are confident that we can replace them with new people.

When Dundon took over the team, he brought the entire PR and game production team down to Dallas to see what they were doing in arena and meet with staff there because he saw Dallas as a model. Now we're the model. A brand new (ish) team with new ownership is trying to figure out what the hell they're doing. Of course you go after experienced people from the best PR team in the league.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, my read would be that people think our front office is a model and are willing to overpay to poach our talent and learn what we've got, while we have a thriving culture and are confident that we can replace them with new people.

When Dundon took over the team, he brought the entire PR and game production team down to Dallas to see what they were doing in arena and meet with staff there because he saw Dallas as a model. Now we're the model. A brand new (ish) team with new ownership is trying to figure out what the hell they're doing. Of course you go after experienced people from the best PR team in the league.
A PR department is one department where you probably want some turnover to bring in fresh blood and new ideas as well.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
TD’s philosophy is that there’s always someone hungry out there to do the job just as good as anyone else if not better, is it not?

It’s nice to think we’re training people to crush it at their jobs which makes our people desirable, but it feels more likely that most know their financial growth will happen elsewhere so they treat the Canes experience like a stepping stone to a better career and we encourage that because we know the next person will do a similar job for cheaper and that’s fine with us. I’m sure the resume people bulld with us does make them desirable. TD doesn’t seem to have a rep of being an easy guy to work for so I’m sure people get some street cred for doing their job well in our system.

I’d expect a pretty consistent flow of people in and out of the organization at different levels.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Piper got a promotion from Communications Coordinator with the Canes to Communications Manager with Utah. Why does everything involving the canes have to be some conspiracy about why people leave?

People aren’t fleeing, they are getting promoted.
Furthermore, it happens not only with the team staff, but also the team personnel. It's easy to forget that just a few years ago, we our free agents who walked tended to be guys who couldn't cut it anywhere else. Every year we had guys like JM Liles or Nathan Gerbe who ended up out of the league or playing forgettable stops elsewhere after moving on from the Canes. Now that we have a very good team, we have the problem of not being able to keep all our very good players. Part of that is getting good finds in scouting that become quality players, and part of that is also excellent pro scouting, that brings good players like Skjei and Chatfield.

It sucks to lose good people, but part of that is a necessary problem of having a lot of good people in the first place.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
TD’s philosophy is that there’s always someone hungry out there to do the job just as good as anyone else if not better, is it not?

It’s nice to think we’re training people to crush it at their jobs which makes our people desirable, but it feels more likely that most know their financial growth will happen elsewhere so they treat the Canes experience like a stepping stone to a better career and we encourage that because we know the next person will do a similar job for cheaper and that’s fine with us. I’m sure the resume people bulld with us does make them desirable. TD doesn’t seem to have a rep of being an easy guy to work for so I’m sure people get some street cred for doing their job well in our system.

I’d expect a pretty consistent flow of people in and out of the organization at different levels.

The other major factor is that Dundon clearly is willing to pay to keep guys who he actually thinks is worth their weight in gold. I wouldn't be surprised if Tulsky/Yorke/Brindy are in that category.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thanks for posting.

The link title is a tad misleading (not blaming you Chaz). Makes it seem like he’s worried about the direction of the organization.

Here’s the quote about losing players:

“It was hard, I'll be honest. It was hard to watch guys walk out of here. I understand it. I mean, it's a business and they have to do what they have to do. But then it's also exciting because you get a whole new group of guys coming in and maybe some of these new guys do crack the lineup and you do get to work with them and watch them grow. That's just the evolution of it.”

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Anton Babchuk was done dirty by Rutherford. After the success he had in the 08-09 season, he deserved to receive more than simply the qualifying offer.

Discuss.
IMG_0012.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad