The Oilers are an old team

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
So none in the salary cap era.
  1. 2007-08 Detroit Red Wings (54-21-7, 115 pts.) -
    Average Age: 29 years, 9 months, 23 days
    Notable Player(s): Nicklas Lidstrom (37), Pavel Datsyuk (29)
  2. 2005-06 Carolina Hurricanes (52-22-8, 112 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 5 months, 6 days
    Notable Player(s): Rod Brind'Amour (35), Eric Staal (21)
You are the second person in this thread to make this exact comment.

Its like you didn't even look at the list and just came to the conclusion you wish to be true.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
More embarrassing to lose in the cup finals and have your 2 best players no show in games 6 and 7.

Nah, it's more embarrassing to lose to your provincial rivals to the point they literally destroyed the team and turned it into an AHL roster in 2 years. Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Markstrom, Tanev, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Hanifin all couldn't get out of there fast enough.:laugh:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
More embarrassing to lose in the cup finals and have your 2 best players no show in games 6 and 7.

More embarrassing to see your ass in any Oilers thread to yap, lmao.
All that free time you have, and that's what you choose to do with it.

But hey, maybe you can enjoy watching Gaudreau and Monahan now that they're reunited again in CBJ.
McDavid and Draisaitl on one fricken leg destroyed your franchise into a rebuild. Cope harder.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
In the last 10 years no Stanley Cup Championship has more than 2 forwards over the age of 32.

The Oilers currently have 9. Lmfao.

Reactions: RCGP2

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
In the last 10 years no Stanley Cup Championship has more than 2 forwards over the age of 32.

The Oilers currently have 9. Lmfao.
Meh don't care.

Is Draisaitl leaving thaman8765678?? Where's he going? Gonna keep us updated? You haven't posted the line in over 12 hrs. you okay?

Maybe he's going to join Johnny Hockey and Mony in Columbus. Or maybe Tchachuk and Bennett in Florida.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Anyone sensible would. Seriously the only reason people work at all in the northern hemisphere is because either they have "A" job there, the jobs elsewhere wouldn't be as good/high paying, or they can't get a job at all elsewhere. In hockey there's no difference, so if you can get a deal from somewhere warm you take it.
You should probably learn what the northern hemisphere means lol

Reactions: Barnum

TheSecondSeason

Apr 20, 2024
throw in Savoie,

Also maybe the fastest overall core in hockey too.

McDavid
Holloway
Hyman
Savoie
Arvidsson
Brown
Janmark
Broberg

Such useless logic by OP.

by this notion, the Canucks have 6 core guys over 28, I guess they are old too.

Check out the Leafs core now, so many core guys over 28 too. Yikes they havent even won a round yet

The Panthers have tons over 28.

if you take a look at the actual core players who are integral to team success for the foreseeable future, the Oilers might actually be one of the youngest

McDavid
Holloway
Broberg
Savoie
Draisaitl
Bouchard
Skinner

Avg Age:

Last edited:

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
throw in Savoie,

Also maybe the fastest overall core in hockey too.

McDavid
Holloway
Hyman
Savoie
Arvidsson
Brown
Janmark
Broberg

Such useless logic by OP.

by this notion, the Canucks have 6 core guys over 28, I guess they are old too.

Check out the Leafs core now, so many core guys over 28 too. Yikes they havent even won a round yet

The Panthers have tons over 28.

if you take a look at the actual core players who are integral to team success for the foreseeable future, the Oilers might actually be one of the youngest

McDavid
Holloway
Broberg
Savoie
Draisaitl
Bouchard
Skinner

Avg Age:

You think that will be the core in the near future?
No way. What happens to all the core players, with big, long contracts? Like Nurse, RNH, Hyman, Kane, Ekholm?
Assuming Holloway, Broberg and Savoie will be core players in the near future is really funny. You would be lucky if one of them is a real core player (not role player) in the next 2 years. I don't think Holloway has the upside, Savoie needs at least a few years to get there if ever and Broberg? Very unlikely

I dont care for Skinners age. A goalie of his caliber might be good for a few years or inconsistent. It does not matter if he is 24 or 28. Though I think he will be a core player for the next 5 years.

I was talking about next season. You don't win with only young players on ELC contracts(I never said that), but I think you do not win with that many players over 30 or declining. Injuries are a bigger concern as well for older players.

And I don't like Skinner, the forward. He will be a playoff disaster, even though I think his regular season will be statistically good.

We shall see.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Anyone sensible would. Seriously the only reason people work at all in the northern hemisphere is because either they have "A" job there, the jobs elsewhere wouldn't be as good/high paying, or they can't get a job at all elsewhere. In hockey there's no difference, so if you can get a deal from somewhere warm you take it.
lol, all 32 teams are in the northern hemisphere

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I just visited capfriendly (still up) and noticed, that the Oilers are an very old team, at least at the forward position. Their youngest forwards are pretty much McDavid and Draisaitl, who are in their late twenties.
Beside, they have Dylan Holloway and now Savoie, who both might not play a lot or make an impact yet.
Their best defense D-Man Ekholm is 34 and Nurse is not getting better at 29.
Beside Bouchard and Broberg, all their D-Man are around 30 as well

I was just wondering, with so many forwards way beyond their 30 birthday, if the Oilers are not to old to win the cup.
I always thought a good mix of elite forwards not older than 30 and good players around 25 to 30 are good recipe to win the cup. Maybe one or two older veterans.

I am thinking, they will not be fast enough or run out of gas because of their age.

Looking back, has their ever been a team to win the cup with such an old group?
They lost a ton of speed with McLeod and Foegele going. We'll see what impact that has

Reactions: villacco

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Speed isn't an issue, though there were signs late in the Final where the Oilers' legs faded more than did the Panthers' legs. A lot of that also had to do with superior depth in Florida, though. Ride your stars into late June and the other team gets an advantage if it has more roster balance. Edmonton has made moves this month to try and address that, to try and give Knoblauch more reason to use his full bench.

This is overblown for the present. Edmonton's players are all mostly in their prime or slightly beyond. That's not a problem now or next season. It means they are going for it at present and will need significant roster reconstruction in a couple of years, though. They need to hit on more draft picks, and they need to start holding onto their picks in the top three rounds. History suggests that GMs in their position do not, though.

A certain amount of mortgaging is baked into the contention/rebuild curve. To use a wave metaphor for that cycle, the Oilers are at their crest; the wave does eventually crash. They aren't there yet, though.

Reactions: RCGP2

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You can just look at the youngest vs the oldest teams and compare them and notice that the oldest teams are far better than the youngest teams.

The two oldest teams in the West played in the conference finals.

Reactions: snipes

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
His world is in shambles. I mean, how embarrassing is it when your play by play guy bolts and goes to the Blackhawks.:laugh: Even Rick Ball didn't want to be calling games for an AHL roster.
I would say there is something in the water in Calgary but….

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
This years long run may negatively impact their next years playoffs but Oilers are still my early favorite to win it all next year.

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
You can just look at the youngest vs the oldest teams and compare them and notice that the oldest teams are far better than the youngest teams.

The two oldest teams in the West played in the conference finals.
Can you do that for the eastern conference as well?
I guess PIT and WSH are up there. At least WSH got younger.

Dallas lost, because to many players looked as old as they were. Thanks for making my point.
At least Dallas has very good young players who will get better. There future still looks bright with the upcoming prospects and Oettinger being better again.

Next year the oilers will loose sometime in the first 3 rounds, depending on which teams they play. Not reaching the finals again. Draisaitl leaving - game over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad