THE OFFICIAL Matt Rempe Fight Club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Haha not one of these polls has asked people if theyd be more likely or less likely to watch hockey if there was more or less fighting. Common sense stuff. Not sure why you cant see it.

Poll questions:

“Would you watch less hockey if there was more fighting and scrums?”

“Would you watch more hockey if there was more fighting and scrums”

“Would you watch the same amount of hockey if there was more fighting and scrums”

Also, I’m sorry if I dont really value the opinions of the some random non hockey fan canadiens. Their voting history on issues isnt exactly pretty

Ok buddy. There are two kinds of people in this world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

There are polls with all sort of crazy results that don’t align with reality, there can also be a massive bias in the sample of people taking the poll as well as bias built into the questions. I’m a member of Angus Reid forum, I do their surveys because they pay me lol. And I bet this skews it toward being chronically online people and many “NEETs” who will waste time for money as they don’t have any. I bet a much lower % of those people are hockey fans than the general public are.

There are many examples of surveys on Angus Reid that only allow you to agree with one side of an argument it doesn’t even give you the option to choose something else. So they can then claim that all these people support policies that they don’t. I remember a question on a MAID survey where they said if a facility didn’t have any to perform MAID should patients be moved to another facility for MAID or should they be forced to perform MAID, no option to say they shouldn’t receive MAID at all. Then they can run with (X percent of Canadians say they should be forced to perform it & Y percent say they should receive it but at a different clinic) You can only agree with one side of the argument on those “polls”.

Have you ever been to a hockey game? I trust that sample size of 18,000 people who are actually hockey fans and their reactions to fights more than some politically motivated hacks and their “polls”

Like I said, if polling were the only evidence I'd provided, you might have had a point. I only provided polling because LaffyTaffy13 asked for it. Now that I've provided some, he isn't happy because none of the evidence supports his and your position.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
There are polls with all sort of crazy results that don’t align with reality, there can also be a massive bias in the sample of people taking the poll as well as bias built into the questions. I’m a member of Angus Reid forum, I do their surveys because they pay me lol. And I bet this skews it toward being chronically online people and many “NEETs” who will waste time for money as they don’t have any. I bet a much lower % of those people are hockey fans than the general public are.

There are many examples of surveys on Angus Reid that only allow you to agree with one side of an argument it doesn’t even give you the option to choose something else. So they can then claim that all these people support policies that they don’t. I remember a question on a MAID survey where they said if a facility didn’t have any to perform MAID should patients be moved to another facility for MAID or should they be forced to perform MAID, no option to say they shouldn’t receive MAID at all. Then they can run with (X percent of Canadians say they should be forced to perform it & Y percent say they should receive it but at a different clinic) You can only agree with one side of the argument on those “polls”.

Have you ever been to a hockey game? I trust that sample size of 18,000 people who are actually hockey fans and their reactions to fights more than some politically motivated hacks and their “polls”
I think some people dont get out and talk to people. Ive never met someone at a hockey game after a fight who has said theyd like to see less of that haha. I have high school buddies i havent talked to in years texting me about rempe right now. If you polled every fan at msg for a rangers game if they want to see more or less fighting 90%+ will say more

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I find it to be dumb and boring, but I am ok with other people enjoying things I don't enjoy. Not sure what it really has to do with playing hockey though. It is easy enough to find boxing or MMA on TV if your thing is watching people beat on each other.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Except you have no evidence to support this fact. In fact, you are ignoring the evidence because it says the opposite of what you believe. You say you don't have a polling company. Luckily, polling companies have done the job for you:

54% of Canadians in 2011 said the NHL should ban fighting.
68% disagree that violence is just a part of the game and penalties for for playing rough and tough should not increase.
Nearly 80% say harsher penalties should be implemented for “violence-related” infractions, including cross-checking and roughing, with 48% “strongly” in favour of such action.

In a strange twist, the Canadians most opposed to fighting are people 55 years old and over. Those who have been watching the game longest are most opposed to fighting.

The NHL is a business. If it knew fighting would attract more fans, it would lean into it. The fact it is leaning the opposite way is a clue that their research says cracking down on it is more profitable.
I’m surprised more Canadians don’t want fighting in hockey banned.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I find it to be dumb and boring, but I am ok with other people enjoying things I don't enjoy. Not sure what it really has to do with playing hockey though. It is easy enough to find boxing or MMA on TV if your thing is watching people beat on each other.
Its not about people beating on each other, its about top level competing and seeing guys care enough that theyll literally fight. The “you can watch mma” bit is just a silly line. One that i can just counter with, you can watch golf

I’m surprised more Canadians don’t want fighting in hockey banned.
Likewise. Canadiens typically seem to be pretty in favor of bans of a variety of things in most polls

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
what does elbowing have to do with hockey ? tripping? shoot outs ? goofy celebrations? gimmick pts ? there are alot of things that happen in a hockey game ......where one could ask "what does that have to do with hockey"

If players do it.......it's part of hockey. Period.
Commentators or fans have zero say in what should happen or not happen. Players decide.
Fans decide if they want to watch.....or not.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Weve gone through this already. You have no evidence to show that revenue being up, youth participation being up, socials interactions being up has anything to do with less fighting. And oh yeah, tv ratings are way down for the one control group (stanley cup) since they started tampering down fighting

Have we gone through this? Where?
No evidence revenue is up? Are you serious? Have you seen the cap? The cap floor is now higher than the cap ceiling was.

Youth participation: Growing the Game: How Youth Hockey is Expanding and Embracing New Opportunities - The Hockey Focus

You are ignoring the facts to hold on to your beliefs.

I think some people dont get out and talk to people. Ive never met someone at a hockey game after a fight who has said theyd like to see less of that haha. I have high school buddies i havent talked to in years texting me about rempe right now. If you polled every fan at msg for a rangers game if they want to see more or less fighting 90%+ will say more

Except the evidence shows that 49% would say they enjoyed it, and 46% would say they didn't, while a large majority of people outside the arena (potential fans) would say they want it banned. The fact your friends have the same values and interests as you is not a surprise. Your friends are not a statistically valid sample.

The most watched hockey games in US history were the Miracle on Ice and Canada's olympic gold win over the US. Not a fight in sight...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bocephus86

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Its not about people beating on each other, its about top level competing and seeing guys care enough that theyll literally fight. The “you can watch mma” bit is just a silly line. One that i can just counter with, you can watch golf.
Golf isn't hockey. I enjoy the skill displayed by the players when they are actually playing hockey and not fighting. I'm also not saying you can't enjoy the fighting. I'm simply saying I don't and I think it's dumb. You are free to enjoy it.

Reactions: hawksrule

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
what does elbowing have to do with hockey ? tripping? shoot outs ? goofy celebrations? gimmick pts ? there are alot of things that happen in a hockey game ......where one could ask "what does that have to do with hockey"

If players do it.......it's part of hockey. Period.
Commentators or fans have zero say in what should happen or not happen. Players decide.
Fans decide if they want to watch.....or not.
Right. I don't decide whether they fight. I decide that I think it's dumb. You don't. Great. Wonderful world we live in where people get to have different opinions.

Btw, I never said anything about stopping the fighting. I personally just don't find it entertaining. I intentionally said I'm ok with others feeling differently. Apparently some people aren't ok with that.

Oh, and by all means get rid of the shootout. It's a boring stupid gimmick. It's so dumb I might prefer the extra point be decided by a fight.

• Love
Reactions: Murky and DJN21

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Not sure what it really has to do with playing hockey though. It is easy enough to find boxing or MMA on TV if your thing is watching people beat on each other.
If scoring is your thing, go watch basketball. They score more.

If skating is your thing go watch figure skating, they skate better

Hockey is the only sport that allows fighting. Let's remove it and everything else that makes it unique to make it boring to appease soccer moms.

Can anyone show me an NHL hockey fight where the fans didn't stand up and cheer and get amp'ed up? Post the video for us. We'd love to see it.

Reactions: Oak

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
Right. I don't decide whether they fight. I decide that I think it's dumb. You don't. Great. Wonderful world we live in where people get to have different opinions.

Btw, I never said anything about stopping the fighting. I personally just don't find it entertaining. I intentionally said I'm ok with others feeling differently. Apparently some people aren't ok with that.

Oh, and by all means get rid of the shootout. It's a boring stupid gimmick. It's so dumb I might prefer the extra point be decided by a fight.

giphy.gif

Reactions: DJN21

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
No offense but this is a tell me you never played hockey but are a fan of it post if I've ever seen it.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
If scoring is your thing, go watch basketball. They score more.

If skating is your thing go watch figure skating, they skate better

Hockey is the only sport that allows fighting. Let's remove it and everything else that makes it unique to make it boring to appease soccer moms.

Can anyone show me an NHL hockey fight where the fans didn't stand up and cheer and get amp'ed up? Post the video for us. We'd love to see it.

Scoring isn't my thing. Skating isn't my thing. Hockey is my thing, and the only sport that plays hockey is, well, hockey. Now sometimes in hockey games a boxing match can break out. Ok. Maybe that's part of what you like about the game. Fine. But do you feel hockey today is less exciting than during the dead-puck era simply because there is less fighting? If that's the case, maybe you're more of a fighting fan than a hockey fan. Because every other aspect of the game has gotten more exciting. I understand feeling disappointed that fighting is down if it's part of what you like. But the rest is so much better than it was. It makes up for the fighting, no?

Hockey in the 90s... you knew which teams were going to the Stanley Cup Finals just by looking at the payroll and excluding the Rangers (lol). You knew which team was going to win the game as soon as the first goal was scored (more or less). Skilled players were hooked and grabbed into oblivion. Bobby freaking Holik was a $9M player...

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Well you pondered why those who enjoy the fights ( not bored by them like yourself) just don't "watch MMA if that's their thing"
But right back at ya......if fighting in hockey is not your thing .....there is the NWHL??

Last edited:
Reactions: Oak and Donnie740

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I've probably fought as much as anyone in this thread, on the ice, bar parking lots.... and maybe it's age, but I can't find any excitement in these staged fights anymore, We know so much about CTE, kills the vibe for me.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
It's fun to see good fights like this. Entertaining. However, in today's NHL, fighting has zero impact on winning games. Nobody is intimidated anymore. Stars don't ever fight goons, they just ignore them, and skate circles around them exposing their lack of ability.

I'm not knocking fighting, it is an entertaining sideshow. Good for Rempe, he's finding a way to stick in the NHL, although his goal was far more impactful, shows he can play to some extent.

Looking forward to seeing him fight Reaves and Xjekraj. How many guys like this are there in the NHL? Maybe 5-6? It's not like the old days when every team had a heavyweight playing 5 minutes on the 4th line.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
To anyone that laughs at Rempe - The kid is 21yr old and has the balls to go with heavyweights. I bet this kid is gonna be scary some day! NYR as a team celebrated pretty good when Rempe got a goal too. I bet they love having a kid like him on the bench?
You mean scary bad at playing the game of hockey? Did you see his goal? He is going the way of the dodo bird. The funniest part was hearing TNT panel raving (Messier) about his “skillset.”

Reactions: PBandJ

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Yes, I have. And usually you try to avoid eating a clean punch...

Thanks tips, but it sure doesn’t sound like you have any experience whatsoever with it.

There’s no bobbing and weaving or jab combinations in a legit hockey fight.

Reactions: PaulD

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Scoring isn't my thing. Skating isn't my thing. Hockey is my thing, and the only sport that plays hockey is, well, hockey.
And I enjoy hockey fights, and hockey includes fighting, at least at the NHL and AHL levels.

It makes up for the fighting, no?
No. It's boring and passionless today. Like soccer on ice

Hockey in the 90s... you knew which teams were going to the Stanley Cup Finals just by looking at the payroll and excluding the Rangers (lol)
Ummm what? The 1991 North Stars and 1999 Sabres beg to differ

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Well you pondered why those who enjoy the fights ( not bored by it like yourself) just don't "watch MA if that's their thing"
But right back at ya......if fighting in hockey is not your thing .....there is the NWHL.

And the NCAA, the QMJHL, international hockey...etc. By the way, the NWHL's popularity has exceeded all expectations. Another notch in the belt that fighting isn't essential to hockey's popularity.

But back to your point, hockey is trending out of hockey for many reasons unrelated to us. We're fine with that, so why would we stop watching? The occasional fight doesn't bother us that much. The drop in fighting seems to bother you lot much more. Luckily for you, if what you like best about hockey is fighting, well there are fight leagues where they do only that.

If you enjoy fighting as a part of hockey but don't feel it's its most important aspect, well hopefully the improvements the game has made elsewhere (cracking down on obstruction, allowing stars to be stars, higher tempo and scoring, parity in the league...etc.) makes up for the loss in fighting.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
And I enjoy hockey fights, and hockey includes fighting, at least at the NHL and AHL levels.

No. It's boring and passionless today. Like soccer on ice

Ummm what? The 1991 North Stars and 1999 Sabres beg to differ

1991 was the beginning of the dead puck era, and the Sabres needed a freak talent like Hasek to get to the Finals. That's one team in a decade... I'll admit to exaggerating a bit, but from 1995 to 2004, the Devils, Red Wings, Stars, Avalanche, and Flyers were the best teams, and their payrolls crushed the smaller markets like Ottawa, Edmonton, Buffalo, Nashville...etc.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Except the evidence shows that 49% would say they enjoyed it, and 46% would say they didn't, while a large majority of people outside the arena (potential fans) would say they want it banned.

You’re embarrassing yourself with such a ridiculous proclamation.

Take a good look at the stands - - how many fans were standing and cheering during the fight compared to how many fans turned away and covered their eyes.

It most definitely wasn’t a 50/50 split, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad