THE OFFICIAL Matt Rempe Fight Club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Fights don't happen often, almost never in the playoffs, and when they do happen they very rarely reach the Rempe/Deslauriers-level. If that's what your friend needs to spark his interest, hockey's probably not for him.
The game looks like a different sport than it was in 2012ish. That product was far more entertaining to your average sports fan. The teams hated each other, scrums after the whistle. The product these days looks far more like beer league/a friendly golf match. Youre not drawing in random sports fans just because guys can skate and shoot, you are with the 2012 product. League needs more rempes. Id bet the rangers havent had a 4 game stretch with ratings this high all season since rempe started playing

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Anyone else looking forward to The next Habs vs Rangers game?

Xhekaj vs Rempe
I think it likely he doesn’t keep getting all these pre-game invites; the Rangers have the Leafs in 2 weeks. Probably Reav-o will go with him, and that will be the final “tough guys club” courtesy invite.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I'm a long-time hockey fan, but I never understood the appeal of fights....still don't.

It's stupid. Can you imagine a basketball or baseball player stopping a game so they can get in a full out fist fight, and refs allowing it? It's just....forced and dumb to me.

Man baseball fights were the best back in the day. I loved a good bench clearing brawl or player charging the mound.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
The game looks like a different sport than it was in 2012ish. That product was far more entertaining to your average sports fan.

Except you have no evidence to support this fact. In fact, you are ignoring the evidence because it says the opposite of what you believe. You say you don't have a polling company. Luckily, polling companies have done the job for you:

54% of Canadians in 2011 said the NHL should ban fighting.
68% disagree that violence is just a part of the game and penalties for for playing rough and tough should not increase.
Nearly 80% say harsher penalties should be implemented for “violence-related” infractions, including cross-checking and roughing, with 48% “strongly” in favour of such action.

In a strange twist, the Canadians most opposed to fighting are people 55 years old and over. Those who have been watching the game longest are most opposed to fighting.

The NHL is a business. If it knew fighting would attract more fans, it would lean into it. The fact it is leaning the opposite way is a clue that their research says cracking down on it is more profitable.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Except you have no evidence to support this fact. In fact, you are ignoring the evidence because it says the opposite of what you believe. You say you don't have a polling company. Luckily, polling companies have done the job for you:

54% of Canadians in 2011 said the NHL should ban fighting.
68% disagree that violence is just a part of the game and penalties for for playing rough and tough should not increase.
Nearly 80% say harsher penalties should be implemented for “violence-related” infractions, including cross-checking and roughing, with 48% “strongly” in favour of such action.

In a strange twist, the Canadians most opposed to fighting are people 55 years old and over. Those who have been watching the game longest are most opposed to fighting.

The NHL is a business. If it knew fighting would attract more fans, it would lean into it. The fact it is leaning the opposite way is a clue that their research says cracking down on it is more profitable.
Sorry if I’m not gonna put too much weight into a 2011 poll of 1,097 canadiens immediately after canada’s most popular player deals with a head injury. And you accused me of cherry picking lol.

Oh also, hockey is leaning away from it because of liability not ratings. They know fighting draws more people in but they need to cover their behinds after what happened in the NFL.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Sorry if I’m not gonna put too much weight into a 2011 poll of 1,097 canadiens immediately after canada’s most popular player deals with a head injury. And you accused me of cherry picking lol.

Oh also, hockey is leaning away from it because of liability not ratings. They know fighting draws more people in but they need to cover their behinds after what happened in the NFL.

2022 poll:

A majority of Canadians (52%) rate the NHL’s efforts in looking after the safety of its players as “very good” or “good,” while 18% consider them “bad” or “very bad” and 30% are undecided. Among self-described “true fans” of hockey, satisfaction with the NHL on this file reaches an impressive 76%.

In our survey, 80% of Canadians are in favour of banning head shots in professional hockey – a proportion that rises to 89% among “true fans.”

The situation changes when we are asked to imagine professional hockey without fights. Canadians favour this approach by a two-to-one margin (60% to 29%)

Among hockey fans, the idea is more contentious, with 46% supporting a ban on fighting and 49% rejecting it.

Canadians aged 55 and over are more likely to endorse the notion of an NHL where players are not allowed to punch each other (72%) than their counterparts aged 18 to 34 (54%) and aged 35 to 54 (52%). Still, a majority of Canadians in every region do not look at fights as an integral part of the game that should be preserved. Support for this ban is highest in Quebec (69%), followed by Ontario (59%), British Columbia (57%), Saskatchewan and Manitoba (also 57%), Atlantic Canada (55%) and Alberta (51%).

So current fans are split, and potential fans are pretty clearly in favour of banning fighting. At some point dude, you have to accept the evidence before you.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
2022 poll:

A majority of Canadians (52%) rate the NHL’s efforts in looking after the safety of its players as “very good” or “good,” while 18% consider them “bad” or “very bad” and 30% are undecided. Among self-described “true fans” of hockey, satisfaction with the NHL on this file reaches an impressive 76%.

In our survey, 80% of Canadians are in favour of banning head shots in professional hockey – a proportion that rises to 89% among “true fans.”

The situation changes when we are asked to imagine professional hockey without fights. Canadians favour this approach by a two-to-one margin (60% to 29%)

Among hockey fans, the idea is more contentious, with 46% supporting a ban on fighting and 49% rejecting it.

Canadians aged 55 and over are more likely to endorse the notion of an NHL where players are not allowed to punch each other (72%) than their counterparts aged 18 to 34 (54%) and aged 35 to 54 (52%). Still, a majority of Canadians in every region do not look at fights as an integral part of the game that should be preserved. Support for this ban is highest in Quebec (69%), followed by Ontario (59%), British Columbia (57%), Saskatchewan and Manitoba (also 57%), Atlantic Canada (55%) and Alberta (51%).

So current fans are split, and potential fans are pretty clearly in favour of banning fighting. At some point dude, you have to accept the evidence before you.

I’m sure these polls were very scientific

Reactions: LaffyTaffy13

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The game looks like a different sport than it was in 2012ish. That product was far more entertaining to your average sports fan. The teams hated each other, scrums after the whistle. The product these days looks far more like beer league/a friendly golf match. Youre not drawing in random sports fans just because guys can skate and shoot, you are with the 2012 product. League needs more rempes. Id bet the rangers havent had a 4 game stretch with ratings this high all season since rempe started playing
I've been watching hockey since the late 1960s, saw the Broad Street Bullies, lots of bench-clearing brawls and all the big enforcers. If fighting was the secret ingredient for fan popularity, hockey would've been #1 in North America for the last half-century.

The average sports fan might stop to watch a hockey fight, but they won't become a hockey fan because of the fights. They never have.

By the way, I have nothing against fights and recognize their entertainment value. But I won't elevate them beyond what they are.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
I’m sure these polls were very scientific

Ipsos-Reid is one of the most respected polling firms out there. I don't know the second firm, but they also polled over 1,000 Canadians.

And dude, like really? Do you believe there's some sort of conspiracy against fighting? If polls were the only evidence I'd provided, maybe I'd understand. But I've shown that TV viewership is up, revenue is up, youth participation in hockey is up, the NHL just had its most watched regular season game with the Stadium series, Bedard's first night (not Rempe's) brought ESPN its highest ratings ever for a regular season game (before the Stadium series game eclipsed it), social media interaction is up 224% over last year, no major league in the world allows fighting and many are more popular than the NHL, fighting isn't a part of international hockey nor NCAA hockey, nor even playoff hockey which we all agree is the most exciting, I have polls showing Canadians support the NHL's efforts to tamp down fighting...

Meanwhile you guys have nothing but your gut feeling that fighting would bring in more fans.
How much evidence do you need to overcome your gut feelings?

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That's the way it should be
Nice!!!
Give the decision to ???

Deslauriers!!!​

Brought back Good memories!! LoL

Ipsos-Reid is one of the most respected polling firms out there. I don't know the second firm, but they also polled over 1,000 Canadians.

And dude, like really? Do you believe there's some sort of conspiracy against fighting? If polls were the only evidence I'd provided, maybe I'd understand. But I've shown that TV viewership is up, revenue is up, youth participation in hockey is up, the NHL just had its most watched regular season game with the Stadium series, Bedard's first night (not Rempe's) brought ESPN its highest ratings ever for a regular season game (before the Stadium series game eclipsed it), social media interaction is up 224% over last year, no major league in the world allows fighting and many are more popular than the NHL, fighting isn't a part of international hockey nor NCAA hockey, nor even playoff hockey which we all agree is the most exciting, I have polls showing Canadians support the NHL's efforts to tamp down fighting...

Meanwhile you guys have nothing but your gut feeling that fighting would bring in more fans.
Loved it!!!

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Rempe's punches were slow but they still hit like trains. He seemed unphased by all of the punches he ate. Good tilt

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I never quite understood the swing, take a hit, swing mentality. This ain't wrestling. You don't need the ooohs from the crowd. You can avoid being hit a little.

You’ve never been in a fight while on skates, have you?

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
2022 poll:

Haha not one of these polls has asked people if theyd be more likely or less likely to watch hockey if there was more or less fighting. Common sense stuff. Not sure why you cant see it.

Poll questions:

“Would you watch less hockey if there was more fighting and scrums?”

“Would you watch more hockey if there was more fighting and scrums”

“Would you watch the same amount of hockey if there was more fighting and scrums”

Also, I’m sorry if I dont really value the opinions of the some random non hockey fan canadiens. Their voting history on issues isnt exactly pretty

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

There are polls with all sort of crazy results that don’t align with reality, there can also be a massive bias in the sample of people taking the poll as well as bias built into the questions. I’m a member of Angus Reid forum, I do their surveys because they pay me lol. And I bet this skews it toward being chronically online people and many “NEETs” who will waste time for money as they don’t have any. I bet a much lower % of those people are hockey fans than the general public are.

There are many examples of surveys on Angus Reid that only allow you to agree with one side of an argument it doesn’t even give you the option to choose something else. So they can then claim that all these people support policies that they don’t. I remember a question on a MAID survey where they said if a facility didn’t want to perform MAID should patients be moved to another facility for MAID or should they be forced to perform MAID, no option to say they shouldn’t receive MAID at all. Then they can run with (X percent of Canadians say they should be forced to perform it & Y percent say they should receive it but at a different clinic) You can only agree with one side of the argument on those “polls”.

Have you ever been to a hockey game? I trust that sample size of 18,000 people who are actually hockey fans and their reactions to fights more than some politically motivated hacks and their “polls”

Reactions: LaffyTaffy13

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

Weve gone through this already. You have no evidence to show that revenue being up, youth participation being up, socials interactions being up has anything to do with less fighting. And oh yeah, tv ratings are way down for the one control group (stanley cup) since they started tampering down fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad