THE OFFICIAL Matt Rempe Fight Club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
1) fyi when you adjust for population changes over time, nhl ratings are WAY DOWN since fighting tamped down.

2) do you think the recent rise in nhl ratings has anything to do with games being carried on espn? Crazy huh?

You keep pointing to playoffs, so lets have some fun. The cup is a fair barometer of ratings since its on national tv

Lets look at the 4 years leading up to the 2012 lockout compared to the most recent 4 years Average viewership of the stanley cup.

2008: average viewship: 4.6mm US Population: 304mm
2009: average viewship: 4.9mm US Population: 307mm
2010: average viewship: 5.2mm US Population: 309mm
2011: average viewship: 4.6mm US Population: 312mm

2020: average viewship: 2.15mm US Population: 332mm
2021: average viewship: 2.43mm US Population: 332mm
2022: average viewship: 4.59mm US Population: 333mm
2023: average viewship: 2.6mm US Population: tbd

So…

For the Stanley Cup finals, you're comparing two covid years (2020-21) plus one year with no games on broadcast television (2023), and only one normal year that had the highest viewership of the four recent years you picked. Now 2022's 4.59mm viewers is lower than you'd want given population increases, but you also had no major market involved in the final unlike 2008-2011 which had a major traditional market involved every year sometimes two.

You say that correlation does not equal causation, I think that is the case here. The only normal year in your data set shows the best viewership, and that's with small markets in the final.
Meanwhile, all other signs point to the NHL's popularity increasing, including the most watched regular season game in history being this season.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
For the Stanley Cup finals, you're comparing two covid years (2020-21) plus one year with no games on broadcast television (2023), and only one normal year that had the highest viewership of the four recent years you picked. Now 2022's 4.59mm viewers is lower than you'd want given population increases, but you also had no major market involved in the final unlike 2008-2011 which had a major traditional market involved every year sometimes two.

You say that correlation does not equal causation, I think that is the case here. The only normal year in your data set shows the best viewership, and that's with small markets in the final.
Meanwhile, all other signs point to the NHL's popularity increasing, including the most watched regular season game in history being this season.
Popularity would increase ever more if there was more fighting, tenacity and hatred towards each other.

However, anyway, you asked for facts and I think I just rempe’d you with them.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Popularity would increase ever more if there was more fighting, tenacity and hatred towards each other.

However, anyway, you asked for facts and I think I just rempe’d you with them.

Indeed I asked for facts and you cherry-picked data, provided more conjecture, and I think I should remind you that Rempe lost the fight...

You've provided no argument to explain why youth participation is up.
You've provided no argument to explain why revenues are up.
You've provided no argument to explain why social media interaction is up (224% over last year)
You've provided no argument to explain why the NHL just had its most viewed regular season game in history.
You've provided no argument as to why networks are paying more to broadcast hockey.
You can't explain why playoff hockey is more exciting even though there is no fighting.
You can't explain why every major sports league has banned fighting.
You've provided little argument at all other than your feelings.

Last edited:

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Credibility = destroyed

Is it though? All these people seem to agree with me, and that's just the first few pages. Rempe got the best shots in, but in my book anyone who gets their shirt pulled over their head and gets taken down did not win the fight.

I am all aboard the glorious return of the goon. Make hockey violent again! I give that one to Deslauriers but they both got theirs in.

Nice tilt, the vet gets the decision

That's a throwback style fight. Have to give the edge to Des but they both landed some heavy shots.

I'd say Deslauriers won that by a little.

Gotta love Rempe's willingness. Guy's been up for 3 games or so and has thrown down with Martin and Deslauriers.

Cagey Deslaurier does a good job overcoming Rempe's clear reach advantage.

Deslauriers gets the dub with some nice shoulder rolls.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think there are good arguments for removing fighting and likewise for more fighting. Seems like the NHL’s highwire act - pretending to be against fighting but really just wet noodling the punishments for dangerous plays - is the most dangerous path possible.

Reactions: irishlaxburger2

95Tal

Jan 15, 2019
Portland, Oregon
I think there are good arguments for removing fighting and likewise for more fighting. Seems like the NHL’s highwire act - pretending to be against fighting but really just wet noodling the punishments for dangerous plays - is the most dangerous path possible.

My prediction is that the league will implement some type of rule which will require fighters to stop when their helmets come off or face a game misconduct. A triggering event may come in the form of someone's head hitting the ice, which could easily have happened to Rempe today as someone already mentioned. They may try a phase-out tactic like this rather than banning it outright...

Reactions: egelband

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Indeed I asked for facts and you cherry-picked data, provided more conjecture, and I think I should remind you that Rempe lost the fight...

You've provided no argument to explain why youth participation is up.
You've provided no argument to explain why revenues are up.
You've provided no argument to explain why social media interaction is up.
You've provided no argument to explain why the NHL just had its most viewed regular season game in history.
You've provided no argument as to why networks are paying more to broadcast hockey.
You can't explain why playoff hockey is more exciting even though there is no fighting.
You can't explain why every major sports league has banned fighting.
You've provided little argument at all other than your feelings.
LOL. No he didn't. Watch it again. A lot of Deslauriers punches hit Rempe in the shoulder.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Starting a lawnmower dual. Saw one at a rodeo dance once... it was pretty weird and I think of it whenever there's a hockey fight like this.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
LOL. No he didn't. Watch it again. A lot of Deslauriers punches hit Rempe in the shoulder.

Hurrr durrr, Deslaurier definitely won the fight because he blocked all of Rempe’s punches with his face.

IMG_0750.jpeg

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
To anyone that laughs at Rempe - The kid is 21yr old and has the balls to go with heavyweights. I bet this kid is gonna be scary some day! NYR as a team celebrated pretty good when Rempe got a goal too. I bet they love having a kid like him on the bench?

Who is laughing at Rempe? Kid is scary already and has a lot of heart to go after someone like Deslauriers.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Nice interview by Deslauriers on how and why the fight took place. Also loving how much damage Rempe has done to the devils in 10 seconds of ice time, at least the islanders and flyers have the ability to play a physical game without mentally crumbling like a cheap muffin. And a GWG on top of it all on an afternoon when none of the Rangers stars showed up other than Shesterkin and Laf, they needed the 4th line to step up and it did.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014

The more you post, the more I love watching fighting in hockey.
It makes me happy not to be you.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
They don’t make ‘em like that anymore that’s for sure.

Truly felt like I went back in time watching that fight. A REAL fight.

Reactions: pld459666

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Meh.

I gotta be honest, I lost interest in hockey fights when I started watching UFC a decade ago.

Watching two plugs throw sloppy haymakers at each other while struggling to balance on skates is pretty boring now.

I dont want fighting out of the game or anything, enough fans and players seem to feel its important. I just use it as time to grab a beer.

But did you even PrideFC Frye vs Takayama bro?

Reactions: JaegerDice

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
The more you post, the more I love watching fighting in hockey.
It makes me happy not to be you.

I actually understand both sides here. As much as I think fighting legitimately adds entertainment value I’m not gonna sit here and act like “oh the league is so boring nowadays” just because of the fighting/lack of fighting. That’s not why I watch the sport.

Reactions: ismelofhockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad