THE OFFICIAL Matt Rempe Fight Club

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
I enjoyed the fight was pretty good. Rempe got some long arms on him, Deslauriers kept in it though.

4 games into the league and Rempe already making his name known in at least 2 of them.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Indeed I asked for facts and you cherry-picked data, provided more conjecture, and I think I should remind you that Rempe lost the fight...

You've provided no argument to explain why youth participation is up.
You've provided no argument to explain why revenues are up.
You've provided no argument to explain why social media interaction is up (224% over last year)
You've provided no argument to explain why the NHL just had its most viewed regular season game in history.
You've provided no argument as to why networks are paying more to broadcast hockey.
You can't explain why playoff hockey is more exciting even though there is no fighting.
You can't explain why every major sports league has banned fighting.
You've provided little argument at all other than your feelings.
Cherry picked? Nah. I think youre the one cherry picking.

Can you name me one major sport where revenues and social interactions are down?

Youre acting like the sport is becoming more popular because theres less fighting. Hey ya know what, mr social interactions, I’d venture the bet this past week the rangers had more social interaction than at any time all season due to… matt rempe.

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
Look I loved the fight, it was old school hockey, it was cool. But, are refs supposed to break it up once helmets come off? It’s such a conundrum for me. On one hand I’m like, you need helmets off to properly fight and breaking it up would’ve meant this fight would not have been so epic and lasted half the time. But on the other hand…..Deslauriers slamming Rempe to the ice was a bit scary. I’m really afraid it’s not a matter of if, but when someone’s head is gonna hit the ice and something really really bad is gonna happen….

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Have to either give this one to Rempe or call it even. Nobody in their right mind could call Deslauriers the winner of this bout. Don't think we will see a tilt like that for a long time, if ever again.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Rempe just had a gorgeous tip in front of the net, too. Almost a goal.

He was such an odd draft pick. Absolute bean pole in his draft year and more of a tall, skilled guy. Just too lanky and goofy to really be a big offensive threat so the pivot he made was a complete 180.

You can see he still has some of the skills, though. I really love his potential as a long-term 4th liner.

Wasn't he one assist away from a Gordie Howe hat trick?

Reactions: Mint Berry Crunch

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
1) fyi when you adjust for population changes over time, nhl ratings are WAY DOWN since fighting tamped down.

2) do you think the recent rise in nhl ratings has anything to do with games being carried on espn? Crazy huh?

You keep pointing to playoffs, so lets have some fun. The cup is a fair barometer of ratings since its on national tv

Lets look at the 4 years leading up to the 2012 lockout compared to the most recent 4 years Average viewership of the stanley cup.

2008: average viewship: 4.6mm US Population: 304mm
2009: average viewship: 4.9mm US Population: 307mm
2010: average viewship: 5.2mm US Population: 309mm
2011: average viewship: 4.6mm US Population: 312mm

2020: average viewship: 2.15mm US Population: 332mm
2021: average viewship: 2.43mm US Population: 332mm
2022: average viewship: 4.59mm US Population: 333mm
2023: average viewship: 2.6mm US Population: tbd

So…
You don't seem to understand the difference between correlation and causation.

Just because viewership has gone down and fighting has gone down over the same period, it doesn't mean that lack of fighting is the reason for lack of viewers. There are many different factors that could be contributing to it.

Also, 4 years is not an especially large sample size. It seems like cherry picking. And given that one of the years in your "down" sample had just as many viewers as 2 of the years in your "up" sample, I don't think it helps to make your point.

You like fighting. That's fine. You're going to have to do a lot better than this to convince people that fighting equals more viewers.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I'm a long-time hockey fan, but I never understood the appeal of fights....still don't.

It's stupid. Can you imagine a basketball or baseball player stopping a game so they can get in a full out fist fight, and refs allowing it? It's just....forced and dumb to me.
Can you imagine a basketball player going for a hip check on a guy making a dunk or a second baseman laying a shoulder into a guy as he's running the bases?

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
You don't seem to understand the difference between correlation and causation.

Just because viewership has gone down and fighting has gone down over the same period, it doesn't mean that lack of fighting is the reason for lack of viewers. There are many different factors that could be contributing to it.

Also, 4 years is not an especially large sample size. It seems like cherry picking. And given that one of the years in your "down" sample had just as many viewers as 2 of the years in your "up" sample, I don't think it helps to make your point.

You like fighting. That's fine. You're going to have to do a lot better than this to convince people that fighting equals more viewers.
I think sometimes people tend to overthink things.

Lets say I take a random sports fan whos never watched hockey to a hockey game. They see zegras with a michigan goal/mcdavid blow past an entire and tuck one in or they see rempe and nick d fight/and regular scrums after the whistle. Whats likely to entertain them more and have them wanting to tune in again?

Skating a shooting alone frankly isnt that entertaining

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Lets say I take a random sports fan whos never watched hockey to a hockey game. They see zegras with a michigan goal/mcdavid blow past an entire and tuck one in or they see rempe and nick d fight/and regular scrums after the whistle. Whats likely to entertain them more and have them wanting to tune in again?
You're making an assumption about what other people like based on what you like.

And for the record, I'm not against fighting in hockey. I'm just saying that if you want to convince other people of your point, you're going to need actual evidence that a significant number of people want to see more fighting in hockey.

Reactions: ismelofhockey

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Skating a shooting alone frankly isnt that entertaining

Fights don't happen often, almost never in the playoffs, and when they do happen they very rarely reach the Rempe/Deslauriers-level. If that's what your friend needs to spark his interest, hockey's probably not for him.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Cherry picked? Nah. I think youre the one cherry picking.

Can you name me one major sport where revenues and social interactions are down?

Youre acting like the sport is becoming more popular because theres less fighting. Hey ya know what, mr social interactions, I’d venture the bet this past week the rangers had more social interaction than at any time all season due to… matt rempe.

Do you know what cherry-picking means?
I've said league and TV revenues are up on the whole. No cherry-picking there, and not something you can dispute.
I've said youth participation in hockey is up. Not over 4 cherry-picked years but as a whole. Again, not cherry-picking.
I've said no other major league in the world allows fighting. How is that cherry-picking?
I can't name a single other league where social media interactions are up 224% over one year. But let's for a moment forget all the single data points I included like social interactions, and the single most viewed regular season game in history. Let's take a second look at TV viewership.

You chose to compare 8 specific years including 2 Covid years and one year with no national broadcast. What happens if I cherry-pick 2 years like you did? Let's see:

2019: average viewership 5.33mm
vs
2007: average viewership 1.2mm

Hmm curious... That doesn't seem to support your argument at all.

What happens if we compare all non-covid and fully broadcast years instead of cherry-picking?

2006-2012 average 3.786mm
2013-2019 average 4.965mm

Well whaddaya know... a 31% increase! Has the population increased by 31% since 2013? No?

Strange what happens when you don't cherry-pick data.

Last edited:

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey

Attachments

• IMG_0935.jpeg
    IMG_0935.jpeg
    131.9 KB · Views: 2

GG96

Feb 21, 2020
Honestly rempe doesn’t realize what he signed up for yet. He was mostly flailing away today while on the receiving end of some experienced bombs. CTE is not fun
What’s it like to have to purposefully lie?

Rempe’s shoulder must be sore from the beating it took, meanwhile you can play a game of Risk on Des’ forehead

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
You're making an assumption about what other people like based on what you like.

And for the record, I'm not against fighting in hockey. I'm just saying that if you want to convince other people of your point, you're going to need actual evidence that a significant number of people want to see more fighting in hockey.
Again, I just think common sense is lacking here. I unfortunately dont have a polling company to poll fans. Maybe i set up a poll station outside msg for the next home game?

I think more people need to get out of the house and talk to people. This one isnt really a complicated one

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The funny part was he wasn't even brought up to just fight every game. But every vet is going to ask him to go for some pride in taking down the young rookie. Not really understand why because in both cases with Martin and Deslauriers, it wasn't needed yet.

Anyway, great old school fight between the 2. I don't really consider the take down giving anybody an edge in a fight so it was very even for the most part.

I never quite understood the swing, take a hit, swing mentality. This ain't wrestling. You don't need the ooohs from the crowd. You can avoid being hit a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad