Tribute The Official "Fire Tortorella" Thread

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Friedman said Torts not showing up for the presser was "weird".

"WEIRD."

He also speculated that Torts is mad about Couturier's agent talking, which is very likely IMO.
Check outs. He was mad a Farabee's agent.

I said this yesterday - what the hell is Torts' goal here? The two most likely scenarios (as I see them) don't make sense to me, so part of me is telling myself that there most be some other logical explanation. There must be something I'm missing.

I'd also love to know what Danny B and Jonesy really think right now, as well. Obviously they are going to say they have the back of their coach. My guess is they believe that, but I don't know that to be true, either.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I said this yesterday - what the hell is Torts' goal here? The two most likely scenarios (as I see them) don't make sense to me, so part of me is telling myself that there most be some other logical explanation. There must be something I'm missing.

I'd also love to know what Danny B and Jonesy really think right now, as well. Obviously they are going to say they have the back of their coach. My guess is they believe that, but I don't know that to be true, either.

Charlie said yesterday the organization loves the attention they get from the Canadian media for stuff like this. In their minds it makes them feel relevant.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Jones spoke about the timing of making Couts the Captain in one of the pods in the last weeks. I think he said something along the lines: ... it was a fast decision. The franchise wanted Couts to be the Captain for a longer time and Torts finally arrived to the idea also. He needed to know him more as a player on the ice. Now he is full on board with Couts being the Captain.

In my eyes this is Torts way of saying i dont care if someone is Captain. I'am the master of Desaster and i can bench who ever and whenever i want! This is a middlefinger vs Daniel Briere and Jones!

Maybe Couts started to speak with more confidence in the locker room after naming Captain. Maybe he defended Frost or Farabee vs Torts. Maybe he has opinions Torts hates.

This is personal! This is not a benching because of on the ice stuff!

Last edited:

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
In his mind, bo one is allowed to question him under any circumstances. I think the media should get together and boycott his pressers. Then just make up pieces about how they think he’d likely answer the questions they’d ask. He’s so predictable anyway. Just totally scree with the jerk, making up bullshit like he does.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I honestly don’t know who’s even apart of the media anymore that would be present for these media scrums outside of Charlie & ASF.

If you pushed Tortorella on this situation there would surely be a confrontation. I’m not even being mean here but I’m not sure either of those two have that in them. ASF hasn’t really pushed when Tortorella’s pressed on him multiple times this year. I don’t even blame them either.

You basically need a Larry Brooks type of person to step in there. Say what you want about his motivations & all that but the dude was relentless & wasn’t afraid to go back & forth with Tortorella.

I’m not sure that person exists anymore on the Flyers beat.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I honestly don’t know who’s even apart of the media anymore that would be present for these media scrums outside of Charlie & ASF.

If you pushed Tortorella on this situation there would surely be a confrontation. I’m not even being mean here but I’m not sure either of those two have that in them. ASF hasn’t really pushed when Tortorella’s pressed on him multiple times this year. I don’t even blame them either.

You basically need a Larry Brooks type of person to step in there. Say what you want about his motivations & all that but the dude was relentless & wasn’t afraid to go back & forth with Tortorella.

We're gonna need Sielski to jump in there and make it about him to have a hope on this one.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We're gonna need Sielski to jump in there and make it about him to have a hope on this one.

Yeah after I posted that I thought of Sielski as really the only guy who’s made any chaos at any Flyers media type of event in recent years. But he also doesn’t cover the team or at least not regularly as a columnist so not sure if that would necessarily even come.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
As someone who is nearing 60 and has followed the team since the early 70s, these are the only Flyers coaches I’d rate below Torts.

Bob McCammon
He played the same type of b.s. mind games though he wasn’t as arrogant and didn’t hide behind his assistants. However, he was also just a horrible coach

Wayne Cashman
A genuinely nice guy but in way over his head as an HC.

Terry Simpson
A disaster at every facet of coaching

Scott Gordon
The less said about Mimsy, the better

Alain Vigneault
Just as arrogant as Torts but minus the constant mind games with the players. Still, overall, a lousy coach.

That’s about it and you can make a case that McCammon and AV were merely just as bad rather than worse than the god emperor

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

In fairness to ASF, didn't he start to show a bit of combativeness the other night by going "Fine, someone else will ask then" when Tortorella shut down his question? Now I can't find the video but I swore this happened during this Couturier saga. Hopefully it leads to more.

The thought of Charlie asking something other than a leading, veiled complimentary question is a fun mental exercise.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
As someone who is nearing 60 and has followed the team since the early 70s, these are the only Flyers coaches I’d rate below Torts.

Bob McCammon
He played the same type of b.s. mind games though he wasn’t as arrogant and didn’t hide behind his assistants. However, he was also just a horrible coach

Wayne Cashman
A genuinely nice guy but in way over his head as an HC.

Terry Simpson
A disaster at every facet of coaching

Scott Gordon
The less said about Mimsy, the better

Alain Vigneault
Just as arrogant as Torts but minus the constant mind games with the players. Still, overall, a lousy coach.

That’s about it and you can make a case that McCammon and AV were merely just as bad rather than worse than the god emperor
He's probably on a tier with Hakstol, which is an upgrade over AV. Hakstol had an idea of how hockey should be played, and he was actually quite effective at getting everyone to play that way all the way until he was fired. Tortorella is the same. Tortorella's ideas are also limiting, but are probably less limiting. "The puck can move back and forth but not very much left and right" is a huge upgrade over "The puck can move backwards. Backwards. Backwards. The dmen shoot. THE DMEN." The Flyers have started to show creativity on entries beyond dump and chase, pure-north hockey too; we are seeing drop passes to set up give and goes or to let the original carrier create a little screen/pick. Hakstol didn't allow that.

So, on a tier with Hakstol, and probably better than Hakstol. Likewise Berube; another guy who had some ideas about how they should play, and was good at getting them to play that way. It was kind of a dumb and very limiting way to play, but the guy succeeded at getting them to do it. It was coherent. It was a system.

Dudes like you listed were just...what was the plan? What were they trying to do? Were they even trying? Stevens as well. Nice guy, good at cake. Pure pond hockey. No plan.

Reactions: renberg and BiggE

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
rbfswiz-the-junk-mail.gif

Torts presser..

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It usually takes Tortorella a bit longer to get to this stage than this. We are closer to the Vancouver time scale than the Columbus one. He must feel comfortable and powerful here. Anyway, this is the point where you just need to fire him before he does more damage. His time is up. It's sunk cost. Stop making these stupid mistakes and you'll stop losing money on them.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Can't remember, was it Ghost having a 4 point night before he was scratched for 7 games in a row without any explanation from Hak?

So Couts setting up a goal that gets them closer to a tie I guess means to bench him in a close game, during a run to the playoffs, and then sat 2 extra games? Such a bunch of shit. Torts is a f***ing coward.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
It usually takes Tortorella a bit longer to get to this stage than this. We are closer to the Vancouver time scale than the Columbus one. He must feel comfortable and powerful here. Anyway, this is the point where you just need to fire him before he does more damage. His time is up. It's sunk cost. Stop making these stupid mistakes and you'll stop losing money on them.
by fire you mean replace DB right ?

cuz thats what gunna happen eventually

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
It's good the team went past expectations..and the players deserve to get in the POs..but because of the Torts cult fans..I want them so badly to miss out

Reactions: Amorgus

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

I mentioned it last weekend that the players, the GM and others will stay silent or back Torts considering where they are in the standings. The exit interviews is what I am interested in.

Reactions: VladDrag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad