Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I was having this conversation and might as well ask here. Would Ohtani be the biggest "star" Toronto has ever had? Matthews is one of the most talented players but NHL players don't have the same star power around the world.

I would argue Vince Carter was probably the biggest one we have ever had, but where would Ohtani rank?
I think ohtani signing here would be the biggest imo.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — One tipoff that Juan Soto will likely be traded is the Padres have yet to make the multiyear offer they originally suggested they would make.

If pressed, Padres people will only admit it’s better than 50-50 he’ll be traded even though they’re said to need to cut their surprisingly high $249 million payroll.

But rivals here believe they have no choice. If the Padres don’t trade him, one rival exec said, “They’ll have to take out another loan.”

Things may have changed with the untimely death of beloved Padres owner and chairman Peter Seidler, whose win-at-all-costs attitude was practically unique.

And thus, Soto appears to stand for now as the best hope for a blockbuster here at baseball’s annual winter meetings.

And even Soto — one of the sport’s five or six best hitters — may have to wait.

The markets mostly appear hung up while the sport awaits the decisions of two-way superstar Shohei Ohtani and 25-year-old pitching phenom Yoshinobu Yamamoto, and signs point to neither superstar getting a deal done here by the close of the meetings Wednesday.

A high-ranking executive with one team gunning for Ohtani says it’s his belief that Ohtani plans to meet with teams after the winter meetings — though word is the bidding has already gone well north of $500 million, possibly on the way to close to $600 million, as reported here Sunday.

And multiple interested execs say Yamamoto also will hold meetings after teams leave here Wednesday.

While the Yankees have been at the forefront of Soto talks, things hit an impasse Friday with the Padres insisting on both reliever-turned-starter Michael King and right-handed pitching prospect Drew Thorpe in a six-man package (their request also included young pitchers Jhony Brito, Randy Vasquez and two more prospects for Soto and center fielder Trent Grisham).

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

1701809155315.png

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Twitter is wild right now. We need a Passan bomb to make things credible

My bad guys, thought that guy had more street cred

Reactions: hockeywiz542

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Yeah it's like this almost every december lots ot banter and assumptions till the pins start dropping

Best way to survive mlb off-season is to take 99% of the takes as a grain of salt

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I'll give him credit, it's at least plausible rather than something off the wall, even though I don't think it will go over $600 after two TJ.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Trading with the Rays for a big name is always tempting but it's about the dumbest thing any GM can do.

Only reason I would ever talk to the Rays is to find out which prospects they want so I'd know which guys I should hang on to.

I wonder why no one’s tried poaching their whole front office.

Reactions: Kurtz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad