Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- With the entire baseball world gathered at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel for the annual Winter Meetings, one question has been asked more than any other.

“Where do you think Shohei Ohtani signs?”

Nobody knows where the two-time American League Most Valuable Player will sign, let alone how much money the two-way superstar will get despite not being able to pitch until 2025.

The industry consensus all offseason has been that Ohtani will wind up moving 30 miles up I-5 to Dodger Stadium, but sources say that two other teams -- the Blue Jays and Angels -- remain firmly in play.

It has been assumed that Ohtani would be leaving Anaheim, looking for a club with a better opportunity to win. But multiple sources have speculated that a reunion with the Angels remains a realistic possibility, as owner Arte Moreno knows what Ohtani means to his franchise both on the field and to the club’s bottom line. One source speculated that Ohtani is a creature of habit who has enjoyed his time in Anaheim, so as long as the money is there, the idea of staying put is appealing to him.

New Angels manager Ron Washington even added a little fuel to the fire Monday during his media availability.

Asked if he’s been paying attention to the Ohtani sweepstakes, Washington said, “I don't have anything to say about that right now, because I don't want to let anything out the bag.”

The Blue Jays are also taking their best shot at Ohtani, though it’s unknown whether he is open to the idea of moving to the Eastern Time Zone -- let alone to Canada.

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I just saw on the score app that we were meeting Ohtani in Dunedin yesterday at the facility?
I saw that to. With the impending TJ for Ohtani that facility really could be a huge part of the equation for him

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Dodgers down from -200 last night to -175.

Big Jays leap, now just +150 from +250 yesterday.

Futures odds also on the rise for the Jays

Reactions: Kurtz

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
If I'm the Jays I already got a tentative deal lined up with Soto so I have an immediate fall back if Ohtani doesn't land.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Volpe was a 60 grade prospect (better than Tiedemann).

Keep in mind that Manoah has better numbers over his last 3 years than King (including last year) and that King has a total of 9 starts at the big league level.

Volpe is better than anything Toronto has, but there's a virtual 0 chance that NYY makes him available (and TBH, I wouldn't trade Volpe straight up for a signed Soto if I were NYY because of money differences, age, and position)

The last rumor I saw (the non-Volpe one) suggested King and some guys who were preseason 45s, which would be like Manoah and Martinez.

There’s an argument to be made that Tieds is closer to a 60 today than Volpe is

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
If I'm the Jays I already got a tentative deal lined up with Soto so I have an immediate fall back if Ohtani doesn't land.
Honestly, I think he has terms on Soto.

Also, the only reason that we should be looking at what Springer is worth is if there is a reason to try to get out of the contract altogether. If you had a shot at both Soto and Ohtani, the likely scenario would be that a guy like Springer would have to go to make the money work (on top of assets to be traded).

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Man, we can get Ohtani but 2 things have to happen internally for it to really make a huge difference: Vladdy needs to hit like Vladdy can. Springer’s numbers have to at least plateau, if his numbers take another tumble next year, we are in trouble. That’s my fear, If Springer continues to decline we have a big hole in the lineup.
I don't know if Ohtani is enough to put them in contention for a division title, but if he can, Springer may be rejuvenated for a year.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The Jays were very in on Bogaerts last offseason. Wouldn’t be surprised if Atkins is looking at adding him to a Soto deal, or just willing to acquire him (with salary relief coming back).

Makes the Bo rumours more legit but you could also experiment with XBo at 3B.

Reactions: Puckstuff

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I don't know if Ohtani is enough to put them in contention for a division title, but if he can, Springer may be rejuvenated for a year.
Honestly I just want him so we can say we had one of the all time best at the sport in Toronto and be entertained.

It's rare that Toronto sports has had out and out the best player of its era.

Reactions: Nineteen67

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
1701802270223.png

Lock it in.. nothing more reliable than random discord users.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Tbh I'd rather have Soto long term and give him the stupid amount of money with him being younger and no injury questions. Ohtani obviously has the higher upside and wouldn't cost assets but I'm not sure how long his arm will hold up for. 10 year deal takes Ohtani to almost 40 where Soto would be 35.

I'd still love Ohtani too though and who knows if Soto would ever resign here

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Tbh I'd rather have Soto long term and give him the stupid amount of money with him being younger and no injury questions. Ohtani obviously has the higher upside and wouldn't cost assets but I'm not sure how long his arm will hold up for. 10 year deal takes Ohtani to almost 40 where Soto would be 35.
if you want Soto you can have him for just cash too. You just have to wait a year.
I don’t see trading for him as much of an advantage. He is a Boras guy, he is going to go to the team that makes the biggest offer.

Reactions: Forgotusername

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The issue with Soto is that it doesn't seem to matter what anyone offers... he's just going to take that number to free agency and try to get more.

I'm sure there's a number that he would accept, but it might be so high that no one would be willing to offer it. He's basically a guaranteed rental unless the team vastly overpays him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad