Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I have a feeling if the Jays offer is the "highest" it's because it's high AAV (50-70M) and short-term (2 years). That could be attractive to Ohtani because he would get to re-enter the free agent market again in his prime (age 30) just in time for his return to the mound, and he could reassess his situation then without being locked in if he doesn't like it here. That could also be attractive to the Jays because it coincides with the end of this current core's contracts, which would allow them to go in a new direction in 2 years, while going all in now when they're increasing ticket prices and unveiling all these stadium changes.

I’d love for the deal to also include ridiculous player/club option scenarios like Green’s contract to make it even more confusing for everyone

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I think the AAV would have to be insane for Ohtani to accept a delay like that. He's already going to get $500 million, so the risk is too high to take a short term deal. If anything, I think it would be a front-loaded deal with opt outs, but I doubt he even considers a purely short-term deal.
Not sure how much risk there really is. People are ready to give him 500-600M right now while he's expected to undergo his second tommy john surgery with a chance (however small) that he may never pitch again. Even if that were the case he could include player options covering the rest of the 500M-600M so he can choose to opt in or go back on the market. The ball's really in his court.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Not sure how much risk there really is. People are ready to give him 500-600M right now while he's expected to undergo his second tommy john surgery with a chance (however small) that he may never pitch again. Even if that were the case he could include player options covering the rest of the 500M-600M so he can choose to opt in or go back on the market. The ball's really in his court.
That's what I mean... he'll get a long term commitment from the team regardless, but he could have opt outs that allow him to re-enter the market in a couple years.

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
That's what I mean... he'll get a long term commitment from the team regardless, but he could have opt outs that allow him to re-enter the market in a couple years.
Given he has basically all the negotiating power, I’m sure you’re right. Why not get some opt outs? Puts all the risk on the team side, but again, they’re all lined up for him.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I wonder that if Ohtani and his agent speak to Ross Atkins, they will be so confused they will
sign a contract without even knowing it.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
TBH I'm just ready for this to be over. I'm going to be very unimpressed if this drags out another week. It was originally speculated to be done prior to the winter meetings. Literally everyone is waiting on him before anything else happens. The winter meetings are pointless. Evidenced by GMs literally not even being there. I'm just getting mentally exhausted waiting.

The first couple days after he signs will be bananas. It'll be like July 1st in the NHL. Except they don't tell you which day it's going to be. It's just a surprise

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
TBH I'm just ready for this to be over. I'm going to be very unimpressed if this drags out another week. It was originally speculated to be done prior to the winter meetings. Literally everyone is waiting on him before anything else happens. The winter meetings are pointless. Evidenced by GMs literally not even being there. I'm just getting mentally exhausted waiting.

The first couple days after he signs will be bananas. It'll be like July 1st in the NHL. Except they don't tell you which day it's going to be. It's just a surprise
If you were making a major life decision like this would you be in any rush to decide?

I get why it is frustrating to some people but I also get why this could take a while.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If you were making a major life decision like this would you be in any rush to decide?

I get why it is frustrating to some people but I also get why this could take a while.

No but I probably wouldn't be holding meetings now. These meetings could have taken place weeks ago. Seems really weird to be holding them at the same time as the winter meetings to me.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
No but I probably wouldn't be holding meetings now. These meetings could have taken place weeks ago. Seems really weird to be holding them at the same time as the winter meetings to me.
There’s definitely gonna be a degree of hopium in this comment but I kinda think the fact that it’s dragged out this long means somebody absolutely blew the doors off of what Ohtani was expecting and is making him seriously reconsider. Like you said it would’ve made so much more sense to have it wrapped up before the winter meetings so his destination can continue with building the team around him. The longer it drags out the less likely it’s the Dodgers I kinda feel(although watch it be announced there tomorrow anyways).

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

All this going on with Atkins mystery kind of exciting. Get feeling he's working on details of Ohtani contract.

If Jays get Ohtani without giving up any players they need to go all in next few seasons.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Here's a serious question...

If the price for Soto is Manoah + Tiedemann (or something equally outrageous) would you rather trade for Soto or make a couple of free agency signings like signing both Yamamoto and Teoscar Hernandez or sign Bellinger + Hoskins?

Because then it comes down to Manaoh+Tideamann+Yamamoto+Hernandez (10-12 WAR??) and 18 years of control vs Soto (6-7 WAR and 1 year of control)

There's a certain price point for Soto where it starts to make more sense to just go the free agency route.

Also if we trade Manoah for Soto we need to sign a 5th starter.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Ken mentioned in the article based on Ohtani's personality, this could mean things are progressing but that was a guess. Said there were signs all day something was going on between Jays and Ohtani
Let's hope he liked what he saw there especially with him rehabbing that arm to pitch again in 2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad